Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mississippi  (Read 773 times)

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
Mississippi
« on: October 25, 2015, 04:13:14 am »

The attached are a little out of context, particularly put together, but it's the most recent work I've processed for a huge documentary project I'm doing on my hometown in Mississippi. Hope you guys like...or tell me why you don't.

JB Rasor

Rob C

Re: Mississippi
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 06:48:28 am »

Like the first one very much.

The last one makes me feel very uncomfortable. On that basis, it's a good one too, but a genre I don't enjoy.
Reminds me of Tulsa.

Rob C
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 06:50:29 am by Rob C »

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 01:32:33 pm »

I like these very much. Except for the hymnal. The others seem like things you observed -- with a very skilled eye. That one looks like you set it up, like an advertising photo.

I'd be very interested to see more of this. I like where you seem to be going with it.

DAF
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

Arlen

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 02:15:29 pm »

I think the first two stand out on their own; very well done, and require little extra context to be appreciated as images. The other two may be important in the context of the documentary, but I don't fine them compelling otherwise.

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 05:35:15 pm »

I am not sure that any of these images stand on their own.
I think, for me anyway, that without a context in which to interpret these shots I am missing their significance, beauty, or otherwise, and their story.
This is a pity because I am sure, that in their context, all is revealed.

Tony Jay

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 07:55:29 pm »

I am not sure that any of these images stand on their own.
I think, for me anyway, that without a context in which to interpret these shots I am missing their significance, beauty, or otherwise, and their story.
This is a pity because I am sure, that in their context, all is revealed.

Tony Jay
For me, the absence of clear context is tantalizing. They are all beautifully executed, and without further information my imagination is encouraged to invent stories for each.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 10:00:21 pm »

These are really great component images for your doc. project (what town in Miss by the way?). I think the last three shown tend toward the dull gray maybe a bit to much...you might try pulling up the shadows a bit...so they don't tend toward the same tonality range which can be a bit tiring. /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 11:08:05 pm »

Thanks so much everyone. Very helpful feedback, particularly about watching the tonality and making sure the images aren't dull.
The project is going to be both color and black and white. I'd normally never combine the two, but a good friend and mentor encouraged me to try it and so far I think it meshes well...considering the volume of images.
I'm going to post some color shots too, and over the next few posts maybe the context will begin to become apparent. Obviously it's a little difficult on a forum, as I can't post 10 images, or don't think I can.
Again, thanks for the analysis, suggestions, encouragement. It means a lot. Looking forward to seeing everyone else work as well! 

The town, Brandt, is Gloster, Ms. It's about 45 min. north of Baton Rouge, right on the Louisiana state line. I live in Atlanta but have a lot of family there. I'm attempting to document a town that once thrived, as far as small towns go, and has since declined to virtual poverty. I'm trying to avoid the cliches that so often surface is this kind of work, but that is a challenge. It's my first real documentary project, so there is a lot of learning happening too.

Best to all!
JB Rasor

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 01:33:59 am »

Perhaps a few more images will bring things together a little bit. Being a documentary series on southern Mississippi, there are several issues that are unavoidable...at least in my opinion. Two big ones are race and religion (ironically the names of two streets that intersect in the city of New Orleans). These images are starting to touch on that, or perhaps explore those topics a little bit.

JB

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 01:36:31 am »

A few more for variety.
Pages: [1]   Go Up