Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chris' Expo News  (Read 3762 times)

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
Chris' Expo News
« on: October 24, 2015, 09:04:24 am »

Arca was showing a prototype Canon Mount lens board.  Aperture control is built in and is actuated by two buttons (up and down on the f/stop scale basically)  You can also hold the two buttons down simultaneously to open the lens fully then close it back down. An LCD on the front shows the focal length and aperture.  A mini USB port on the panel allows you to power the unit with any USB battery device.  I'm going to find the smallest one I can, to mount unobtrusively on the camera.  Pricing is supposed to be around 1100 (I believe) with December availability.

I spent at least an hour going over the setup and it works much better than the custom dumb mount I had made for my Canon glass in that there is more room between the standards, so that the A7r2's new deeper grip doesn't get in the way.

Arca has also developed a brand new Sony specific L Bracket to insure that the MK2 mounts up nice and square (since Sony redesigned the bottom plate of the camera).

I looked at the Actus for the first time.  I still prefer Arcas.

That was pretty much the only thing at the show that I was really interested in.  New York is dirtier, noisier and more overpopulated than ever... or maybe I'm just older.

CB

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Chris' Expo News
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 12:30:00 pm »

Chris:

Thanks for the post. 

Did Arca have the Focal shutter?  The Canon board you are showing has the aperture control and uses the shutter of the Sony.

Just curious if Arca has shelved the Focal shutter altogether. 

Thanks
Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Chris Barrett

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 01:03:58 pm »

I did see the FPS mounted on the R... didn't play with it, though.

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 10:58:48 pm »

Is the Arca Canon board self-contained or does it depend on another control unit?

With all these independent boards/adapters/conversions cropping up for using power/cpu-controlled lenses, I wish someone would make a universal controller box where you could plug in contact harnesses for different lenses.  It would have a battery, aperture dial, f# display, and an open/close toggle. 

Chris Barrett

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 08:06:41 am »

Self contained.  You can use it in conjunction with one of their electronic modules (for digi backs) or you can just connect it to a battery and go (with 35mm cameras).

JoeKitchen

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 10:51:18 am »

I got to see the FPS at the show and fooled around with it.  It looks nice, however I wish it was as thin as a sliding back. 

I am not sure how popular it is going to be while we still have a stock of Copal shutters.  For those using a MF back, the tech camera lenses are just going to be the best option, which have shutters.  Those using a DSLR on a tech camera already have a shuttle built into the camera. 

I talked to Rodenstock at the Expo and they said they have enough to last them a few years at least. 

So the FPS and Arca's version of a replacement electronic leaf shutter may take a few years to gain momentum.  With that said though, out of all of the leaf shutter solutions I saw, Arca's seems to be the best (aside from Rollie's, but that is no longer an option). 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Frederic_H

• www.fredericharster.com
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 06:46:14 am »

Chris,

Now you've been working with that Universalis + A7r combo for quite some time, what are your impressions ? Is the Arca up to the task (rigid enough, movements easily zeroed, enjoyable, etc) ?

Thanks !
Frederic

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 08:42:31 am »

If Arca had kept the FPS at a more realistic price point, and not forced the new tube @ 550.00 each, the FPS was on my short list.  I had high hopes for it on my rm3di and tech glass.

Copals, to me, are un-reliable.  I have 6, and none of them allow a 1/500 of a second, most can't hit 1/250th instead shoot 1/180, or 1/350.  Others can't shoot 1/125, instead hit 1/180, or 1/90, etc.  May not sound like a big deal, but to me it can be.  Especially with a CCD back, where the amount of light that is being captured is critical to the quality of the shot, even more so if you shift where light is lowered due to fall off.  The ability to get a 1/3, 1/2 or 1/10 (per Arca) shutter speed instead of the hard fixed settings on a Copal would be great. 

Arca announced the FPS at Photokina 2014, and as far as I know, it's not shipping yet.  Glad to see it made to Photoexpo, so maybe it might still become a reality.  I liked the Arca design to use Wifi which means all could be controlled away from the setup.  But for me the entry point was 8K, over 1 year ago, and I doubt that has come down. 

I am still interested in vibration, if it was handled, how a 1 sec to 20 second shot would work, or do faster shutter speeds have vibration issues, which combined on the rm3di? 

The Arca e-shutter also looked good in 2014, which could replace a copal on each lens, but I was hoping for a faster top shutter speed than 1/250th.

Paul C.

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Chris Barrett

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 02:40:44 pm »

Frederic,

Since Sony changed the bottom of the A7r with the Mk II, I haven't had an L-Bracket that would mount to the Universalis accurately.  Martin did show me a new prototype bracket at the show, so hopefully we'll see that next month.  In the mean time, I moved back to the Mf2.  I have a Chinese bracket that mounts the A7r2 square on that camera (which has an older mount).

I have to say, I really prefer working on the Mf2.  It's much more smooth, rigid and precise than the Universalis.  I'm guessing that once I have the rest of the pieces sorted that the Universalis will become my 'exteriors' body, while the Mf2 will handle all of my interiors and studio shooting, where I can move slower.

-CB

Frederic_H

• www.fredericharster.com
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 12:34:34 pm »

Thanks Chris.

Being used to M, F and R-line cameras the Universalis seems a bit "light" to me indeed, but I have yet to play extensively with one. Until then, and given your feedback, I guess I'll keep on working with the Rm3d and MF2... I still shoot wides with a CCD MFDB so not in a hurry to ditch the R.
Pages: [1]   Go Up