Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good remote/timer/intervalometer options for D750?  (Read 3206 times)

the_marshall_101

Good remote/timer/intervalometer options for D750?
« on: October 23, 2015, 06:49:27 pm »

Can anyone recommend something better than the usual Viltrox/Hama/Brand X eBay clones (which by the way are fine but the buttons are fiddly)?

I'm aware that the D750 has its own bulb and interval function but I need timed bulb exposures over 30 s and possibly the same but intervaled too.

I've seen the Hahnel Giga systems which seem OK but with a few bugs maybe and the remotes don't look brilliant. I don't need wireless but not bothered if it is.

Does anyone do a robust and professional solution that will work with the D750 and in particular mirror-up shooting mode?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Good remote/timer/intervalometer options for D750?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 07:20:26 pm »

You have several options as there are many non-Nikon intervalometers out there that will fit the remote port.

You can also purchase port adapters, (which is what I did), that allow you to use the Nikon MC-36 style plug.  I found mine on Amazon from China, and they work fine. Only issue is you extend the weight out a bit on the port on the D750, so I added a bit of gaffers tape to hold the extension to the camera body.  This allows you to use the Nikon made intervalometer, which I agree has better buttons than most of the knock offs.

Here is link to one of the Chinese adapters
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-ML-3-MC-30-MC-36-26-jack-to-MC-DC2-plug-Adapter-/250725746994

They are cheap so I purchased a few as I figured I would lose one over time.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 07:36:21 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

the_marshall_101

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 07:22:47 pm »

Thanks Paul, useful tip. What does that give you the ability to use in terms of Nikon units, though? If they're the same layout as the clones then I don't think I'd be willing to pay loads more for it. The buttons are way too close together to operate with gloves/cold hands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 10:07:35 pm »

In my work I use both the Nikon and clones. The Nikon MC-36 has better feedback with the buttons just wish it had a coiled cord.

Never had problems during winter shoots with gloves on.   Once I set the time the only button I will use is the start stop and display light.

Not sure if there will much else out there. Might be able to use cam ranger.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

the_marshall_101

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 03:07:00 pm »

Thanks Paul.  May I ask, if (presumably) you use a D750, how does it behave in mirror up mode with a remote that doesn't understand the double press needed?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 08:31:24 am »

With night work, I don't use mirror up, but if you did, I believe the Nikon intervalometer would not work as it would only open the mirror when it fires. 

With longer exposures, 30 seconds or longer you can skip mirror up as you will not see any blur from the mirror opening.  In fact even with 10 second shots or 15 second shots when I work the Milky Way, I don't use mirror up as I find it makes no difference. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

the_marshall_101

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 04:19:46 pm »

Good point, thanks.

Torbjörn Tapani

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 04:56:20 pm »

I think it has a delayed exposure mode 1,2 or 3 sec like the D8xx series. I use that, never mirror up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up