Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Signing Prints & Matt  (Read 3584 times)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Signing Prints & Matt
« on: October 23, 2015, 10:19:56 am »

Please note: this is not the same question as the other thread - "Signing Prints"!

In the Luminous Landscape video "Camera to Print" No 23 "Framing & Matting" the answer to the other thread is clearly answered: you sign the bottom right-hand corner in ink, that then is covered by the matt - and then you sign in pencil at the bottom right-hand corner on the matt. If that is good enough for Michael Reichman and Jeff Schewe, then it is good enough for me!

My question is this:what do you do when you send a print to a customer via a courier or post without matting? I have seen framed prints where the matt has been cut with about 15mm of the border showing to allow the signature to be seen. I have also seen where the matt is cut away only where the signature is.

Is there some sort of consensus on what should be done? Sending the picture matted and signed would obviously be a lot more cumbersome and expensive than just the print rolled in a tube.

I am interested to know how other people deal with this issue.

Regards

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Signing Prints & Matt
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 10:41:46 pm »

Frankly I don't see it as being different to the other thread. I don't think there are any rules in the business of selling art. Create a style and stick with it.

If that style is to sign in six inch letters diagonally across the front then how can anyone say it is wrong.

There are opinions but ultimately the customer decides.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 10:44:57 pm by BobShaw »
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 01:24:04 pm »

Sign the print on the border - which results in a signed print - and then let the client decide whether they matt and frame with the signature showing or not.
Not a good solution if it's a dark print being framed with a dark matt and the client wants to see a signature.

ashaughnessy

• My wordpress blog
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 04:47:16 pm »

Seems like a no-brainer to me - sign the print on the bottom right (and title on the bottom left). Let the customer decide how to mat it.
Anthony
Anthony Shaughnessy
https://anthonyshaug

Deardorff

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 08:51:19 pm »

Print on paper larger than the image size. Leaves clear area for your signature and overmatting can easily be cut to show the signature.

fredweymouth

• Lens & Landscape Photography Podcast
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 07:13:28 am »

You could choose from a few options: send the print as is flat using cardboard or something similar to keep it from getting damaged; use a cardboard tube and roll the piece into the tube; Mat the print and send it along with cardboard, etc. for protection.

Personally I like to mat and ship. If the customer does not like the mat they can always replace it - I think the mat gives it some extra protection. Just make sure to sign the print and mat in case they swap it out.

Shipping rolled in a tube is also a good option. However, depending on the paper you use it can be problematic due to creases created during the rolling process.

Martin Bailey has a good video cast on using a tube for shipping that I would recommend checking out -

Cheers,
Fred
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 07:25:54 am by fredweymouth »
Fred Weymouth|Tucson, AZ
Host, Lens & Landscape Photography Podcast
www.LensandLandscape.net

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 03:18:19 am »

Thanks Fred - I have been away so only saw this now!

You could choose from a few options: send the print as is flat using cardboard or something similar to keep it from getting damaged; use a cardboard tube and roll the piece into the tube; Mat the print and send it along with cardboard, etc. for protection.

Personally I like to mat and ship. If the customer does not like the mat they can always replace it - I think the mat gives it some extra protection. Just make sure to sign the print and mat in case they swap it out.

Shipping rolled in a tube is also a good option. However, depending on the paper you use it can be problematic due to creases created during the rolling process.

Martin Bailey has a good video cast on using a tube for shipping that I would recommend checking out -

Cheers,
Fred
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

TwistedShadow

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 07:53:04 pm »

How about acrylic and aluminum (actual metal) prints?
Pages: [1]   Go Up