Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nec Monitor  (Read 4009 times)

Andres Bonilla

Nec Monitor
« on: April 02, 2006, 05:04:46 am »

I just bought a NEC multisync 90 GX 2 with opticlear, I love the display but I am a little worried that the increased brightness may " fool" my eyes when working in Photoshop. Does anybody has this monitor and do you guys work at 100% brightness? My photos look different in terms of the highligths and shadows, maybe is just that the display is so bright that it make them look less contrasty.

Any comments ?

Andres

61Dynamic

• http://
Nec Monitor
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 01:23:28 pm »

Optimal brightness is 120cd/m2. How bright is yours?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 01:24:07 pm by 61Dynamic »

BradSmith

Nec Monitor
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 02:20:30 pm »

I've noticed people quoting the brightness that they set on their monitors for use.  But I've never understood how this is measured.  

How can we do this?

thanks
Brad

Optimal brightness is 120cd/m2. How bright is yours?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61586\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

DarkPenguin

Nec Monitor
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 02:31:38 pm »

My Monaco Optix Xr tells me this during profiling.

Andres Bonilla

Nec Monitor
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 04:03:19 pm »

Daniel according to the specifications it is 400 cd/m2 white luminence; 700:1 contrasr ratio.

61Dynamic

Nec Monitor
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 04:31:05 pm »

Having the brightness too high can throw off your perception of whites. When I first got my Dell 2005FPW (minimum brightness of 200cd/m2) I eye-balled some corrections to test the effects of monitor luminance and found I was constantly setting images about 1/2-stop darker than optimal.

That being said, factory specs of luminance and contrast are nearly worthless. (there is no set standard for measuring contrast and contrast changes with luminance. So that number is only useful when comparing displays designed in the same year and from the same company) What is really important is wether the display can reach optimal luminance of 120cd/m2 or at minimum 140cd/m2.  Since companies don't publish that number, the only way to find out is to ask the company (and hope for an actual response), trial-by-error or to ask someone that has it already.

If you don't have a calibrator, it won't matter how bright the display is as you are shooting in the dark anyway. Pick up a calibrator and try to calibrate the display. At that point it will tell you if the monitor can be dimmed enough or not.

Ben Rubinstein

Nec Monitor
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 07:43:46 pm »

Having the brightness too high can throw off your perception of whites. When I first got my Dell 2005FPW (minimum brightness of 200cd/m2) I eye-balled some corrections to test the effects of monitor luminance and found I was constantly setting images about 1/2-stop darker than optimal.

So what did you do?

61Dynamic

Nec Monitor
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 10:45:36 pm »

So what did you do?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61618\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I bought a 20" Apple display for my primary and set the Dell as a secondary to hold tool pallets and whatnot. Since the Dell does not need to be color-accurate, I fiddle with the RGB controls to artificially dim it so it is not a distraction. This setup works jim-dandy and saved me a few needed bucks.

Since I'm on the subject it should be noted for anyone who is reading this and thinking that adjusting the RGB controls would be suitable for color-accurate work that there are noticeable differences in what each monitor displays. Putting aside the technical deficiencies in adjusting the RGB settings in of themselves, the two displays do not show items at the same brightness. Even with the Dell calibrated and EyeOne Display telling me its luminance is 120cd/m2, a window that pans across both monitors is noticeably brighter on the Dell than on the Apple. Real-world proof that the brightness issue cannot be worked around short of actually dimming the backlight itself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up