Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D600 image quality compared to newer FF bodies?  (Read 9695 times)

Deardorff

Nikon D600 image quality compared to newer FF bodies?
« on: October 22, 2015, 10:34:09 am »

Am looking at getting a full frame Nikon body to take advantage of the older Prime lenses I have from my F2 and F3 days.

Looking only at image quality, does the D600 really lose any ground compared to the D610 or D750?

Am looking at the D600 mainly due to its low price now on the used market. Looking at Nikon mainly due to the dynamic range of the images. I currently use Canon EOS 1DsMkIII bodies but would love to be able to get a bit more from shadows at times.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
Re: Nikon D600 image quality compared to newer FF bodies?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 02:45:33 pm »

The D600 and D610 are the same camera, and the D750 is slightly better but not massively so.

The D600 will be able to do everything and more, quality wise, that your 1Ds does. It doesn't have the same AF capabilities, but if you don't shoot too much action with it, it's perfectly fine for your needs and to mount older glass.
Instagram (updated often)

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 04:19:15 pm »

Still pretty close to the current state of the art in terms of IQ for a 24MP camera.

Jack

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 10:21:36 pm »

The D750, IMO is a vast improvement over the D600 and D610.  Not much has been written about the D750, but I found it to the cleanest Nikon I have used, and was totally surprised by the usable iso range from the D750.  Not to mention that it has a tilting screen, which I love and wish Nikon would put on the D800 series, but I know it will never happen. 

I know that dpreview gets a lot of hate here, but they have good reviews and you can see just how clean the D750 is.  Adam Woodworth's article on this site also mentions the D750 and it's capabilities. 

https://luminous-landscape.com/introduction-to-landscape-astrophotography/

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

GLJ

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 06:08:44 pm »

Am looking at getting a full frame Nikon body to take advantage of the older Prime lenses I have from my F2 and F3 days.

Looking only at image quality, does the D600 really lose any ground compared to the D610 or D750?

Am looking at the D600 mainly due to its low price now on the used market. Looking at Nikon mainly due to the dynamic range of the images. I currently use Canon EOS 1DsMkIII bodies but would love to be able to get a bit more from shadows at times.

If you check out DxO, the PMP scores for the D750 are a little higher than the D600/610 for most lenses. You probably get a little more detail because of a weaker, or better tuned AA filter. But I suspect in a real life side by side comparison, you'd probably be hard pressed to see a huge difference in most shots.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 06:46:52 pm »

interesting point about DxO scores, and I have always tended to agree with them.  They actually score the D610 1 point higher than the D750. I just found the D750 to be much cleaner at the higher iso ranges than the D600 I owned.  Say iso 800 and up.  So far it's still the cleanest camera I have ever shot, Canon/Nikon/Sony and Phase.

Other things, I find the shutter much quieter and the fps is not bad either in raw mode.  And for me the tilting screen makes it an easy choice. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 07:53:27 pm »

interesting point about DxO scores, and I have always tended to agree with them.  They actually score the D610 1 point higher than the D750. I just found the D750 to be much cleaner at the higher iso ranges than the D600 I owned.  Say iso 800 and up.  So far it's still the cleanest camera I have ever shot, Canon/Nikon/Sony and Phase.

Other things, I find the shutter much quieter and the fps is not bad either in raw mode.  And for me the tilting screen makes it an easy choice. 

Indeed, the D750 is an amazing all rounder. High ISO image quality is great, colors pop and the AF is second to none.

Captured yesterday with the 400mm f2.8 E FL. It drives the monster lens effortlessly!

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 12:51:52 am by BernardLanguillier »

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 03:39:48 am »

Great capture Bernard, you can almost feel the rumble of the hooves.

Petrus

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 05:20:46 am »

Indeed, the D750 is an amazing all rounder. High ISO image quality is great, colors pop and the AF is second to none.

At my workplace (magazine publishing company with 18 staff photographers) some colleagues of mine have replaced their heavier D3-D4 Nikon systems with D750, which seems to be a modern synthesis of all the best features of pro Nikons at semi-pro size and price. If I had to pick a FF retirement camera that would be the one (as we get to buy our gear at amortization value when we leave the company, 2 years for me now).

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 06:09:59 am »

Great capture Bernard, you can almost feel the rumble of the hooves.

I wonder what the horse would have to say.

I also note the disturbing bokeh... maybe that's why Hans Feurer seems to have switched to Canon after an earlier lifetime of film Hassy and Nikon...

http://www.hansfeurer.com

;-)

Rob C

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 08:16:06 am »

I wonder what the horse would have to say.

I also note the disturbing bokeh...

Really? I find the bokeh pretty pleasant considering the background, but different taste I guess.

Anyway, the bokeh of the nikon 400mm f2.8 may not help too much the OP decide btw the D600 and the D750 p. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

AlterEgo

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 09:28:56 am »

does the D600 really lose any ground compared to the D610 or D750?

doesn't it have nasty oil splattering all around the chamber ?

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 12:08:58 pm »

doesn't it have nasty oil splattering all around the chamber ?

Not all of them suffered from oil issues and Nikon still offers free shutter replacements even out of warranty (at least Nikon Europe does it).
Instagram (updated often)

AlterEgo

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 12:52:47 pm »

Not all of them suffered from oil issues and Nikon still offers free shutter replacements even out of warranty (at least Nikon Europe does it).

and I read that replacements do start splattering oil as well...

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/what-should-d600-owners-do.html

What is causing some trouble is that I'm seeing evidence of a typical NikonUSA repair issue: a fair number of cameras end up having to go back a second or third time before Nikon actually repairs the camera. In those cases, Nikon appears to have just cleaned and adjusted the camera the first time it came in, but the user then experienced the same problem a few thousand shots down the line.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/risk-and-reward--more-d600.html
http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/i-dont-think-a-d610-solved.html

so if buying a used D600 it is good idea to ask a seller for a serial number and test run the Nikon service to see if it is serviceable = http://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and-support/service-advisories/hs309y82/Updated-Technical-Service-Advisory-for-Users-of-the-Nikon-D600-Digital-SLR-Camera.html

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 01:02:42 pm »

and I read that replacements do start splattering oil as well...

Not true! At least, not on my D600. Once the shutter was replaced, the oil splatter problems disappeared completely.
Here are a couple of wildlife shots, I took this year with D600:

AlterEgo

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 01:22:37 pm »

Not true! At least, not on my D600. Once the shutter was replaced, the oil splatter problems disappeared completely.
but of course - may be Nikon came to senses (with repairs) after the very bad "press" (from Thom Hogan and others)  8) that they were forced to drop "D600" model name for "D610"

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 02:03:55 pm »

I don't see any relevance to the OP.
All I can say, is that a D600 with a new shutter is a pleasure to use, it produces high quality imagery and it's a great value for around $1000.

RobertJ

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 08:47:52 pm »

If you wait 2 or 3 months, I'm sure they'll knock down the price of the D750 $200 or $300.  It'll be worth the wait.

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 03:51:31 am »

Really? I find the bokeh pretty pleasant considering the background, but different taste I guess.

Anyway, the bokeh of the nikon 400mm f2.8 may not help too much the OP decide btw the D600 and the D750 p. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard, did you actually look at the Hans Feurer website and check out his long lens bokeh? Yes, I know that even that can and might well be getting retouched, done as much myself on the very rare occasion, but generally speaking, the backgrounds are soft and do not hit you in the eye as does the one with your horse-borne archer.

I's not a criticism of you, so don't take it that way; it's a comment on what I see as the difference in maker approach and there must have been a very good reason for Feurer to switch after a lifetime with the competition (I believe he was once, early on, also a Leica user). He has no need for manufacturer 'charity', so I doubt that could be a factor.

I once read an interview with Parks (Norman Parkinson) who was a very happy Hasslblad 500 user, amongst other formats, including Nikon. According to the interview, 'blad offered him a new, free 150 Sonnar to replace his 'silver' model and he refused it, claiming that the old one was kinder to people...

In general, I think that people get used to their equipment - at least, the serious users do - and that they don't change unless there is a really compelling reason that makes them do so. Accountants can be serious reasons.

Rob C

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2015, 04:00:30 am »

Bernard, did you actually look at the Hans Feurer website and check out his long lens bokeh? Yes, I know that even that can and might well be getting retouched, done as much myself on the very rare occasion, but generally speaking, the backgrounds are soft and do not hit you in the eye as does the one with your horse-borne archer.

I's not a criticism of you, so don't take it that way; it's a comment on what I see as the difference in maker approach and there must have been a very good reason for Feurer to switch after a lifetime with the competition (I believe he was once, early on, also a Leica user). He has no need for manufacturer 'charity', so I doubt that could be a factor.

I once read an interview with Parks (Norman Parkinson) who was a very happy Hasslblad 500 user, amongst other formats, including Nikon. According to the interview, 'blad offered him a new, free 150 Sonnar to replace his 'silver' model and he refused it, claiming that the old one was kinder to people...

In general, I think that people get used to their equipment - at least, the serious users do - and that they don't change unless there is a really compelling reason that makes them do so. Accountants can be serious reasons.

Rob,

Yes, I did check his site and love the images.

I didn't take it personnally, I am just saying that his images are shot in very different backgrounds on static subjects - probably - at f2.8, while the image posted above is shot at f4 in front of a very challenging background.

Taking that into account, I feel that the Nikon is doing a pretty decent job.

I have many images shot with it with a silk smoot background too, it really depends on the scene. This is one example:

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 04:14:46 am by BernardLanguillier »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up