Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: poor export of starry sky  (Read 3107 times)

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
poor export of starry sky
« on: October 21, 2015, 01:05:13 pm »

I am confounded by LR 5.7's inability to export a decent JPEG or TIFF of my Milky Way photo. The image appears fine after editing in LR. However, if I export as a JPEG (quality=100, color space = sRGB) or TIFF (color space = ProPhoto RGB) it appears (when viewed by all viewers I have, including Adobe products) over-exposed and sensor noise banding is visible. Any idea what is going on and how to remedy this?

My workflow... I combined three images in PS6 to make a vertical panorama and saved the pano as a TIFF. I then imported the TIFF into LR5.7 and did the editing there.

I've attached a screen shot of the image in LR and another of the image after exporting as a JPEG and displayed by Windows Photo Viewer.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:05:39 am by pcgpcg »

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
Re: poor export of starry sky
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 01:30:10 pm »

Here's a screen shot that more accurately shows the result of what I am experiencing. Both of these images should look the same. The image on the left is a TIFF, as it appears in LR 5.7, after editing and before exporting. The image on the right is the same image, as it appears in LR, after exporting as a JPEG (quality=100, color space=sRGB). This also happens if exported as a TIFF (color space = ProPhoto RGB).

What is happening and how can I get this image properly exported out of Lightroom 5.7? I'm happy to upgrade to 6.0 (and maybe even move over to the leasing model) if that will fix the issue, but I'd first like to understand what is happening and why.

Thank you to whomever can spread some light on this issue.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 02:38:59 pm by pcgpcg »

kirkt

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 03:46:43 pm »

What happens if you import the pano TIFF (the reference file stitched in PS) into LR and then simply export it as a TIFF (no edits made in LR).  How does it compare to the TIFF you made in PS?

kirk

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 04:02:42 pm »

What happens if you import the pano TIFF (the reference file stitched in PS) into LR and then simply export it as a TIFF (no edits made in LR).  How does it compare to the TIFF you made in PS?
I just tried it and it appears to be identical.

On the left is the imported TIFF from PS (with no editing). On the right is that same unedited TIFF, after exporting from LR as another TIFF, and then imported back into LR.

kirkt

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 08:12:05 pm »

It looks like you took a picture of your display with a cell phone camera or something - are both images okay or bad?  I assume they are both ok, but it is difficult to tell from the image.

I made the suggestion to test whether or not something was being applied or affecting the source image upon import. 

Next step is to understand what edits you are making to the image.

kirk

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 08:57:07 pm »

It looks like you took a picture of your display with a cell phone camera or something
actually it was taken with an E-M1...  ;D

are both images okay or bad?  I assume they are both ok, but it is difficult to tell from the image.
Yes, they are both OK. The original image is overexposed with lots of sensor noise.

Next step is to understand what edits you are making to the image.
I'm going to go through my edit history and make exports at different stages and see if I can isolate the edits that LR is not exporting
properly.

kirkt

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 08:44:13 am »

I'm going to go through my edit history and make exports at different stages and see if I can isolate the edits that LR is not exporting
properly.

Sounds like a plan.

good luck,

kirk

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 04:34:47 pm »

What happens to the edited version when you turn on Soft Proof set to ProPhotoRGB output space? And are you working on a desktop or ipad type of mobile device?

There's been a known issue with black point previews not fully matching output on desktop workstations. I have to have Soft Proof set up as noted to get black point matches but that's in LR4. Not sure if it's been fixed in subsequent upgrades

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 06:53:14 pm »

What happens to the edited version when you turn on Soft Proof set to ProPhotoRGB output space?
I couldn't find an option to Soft Proof to ProPhotoRGB, only to sRGB and AdobeRGB(1998). It looks fine Soft Proofing to those options, as well as any number of papers.

And are you working on a desktop or ipad type of mobile device?
Win7 desktop

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 10:30:41 pm »

OK, Paul, then that's not the problem. Wish I could help you, but I don't have a clue to the cause.

Hopefully you'll find a solution from Adobe tech support or folks here. I can confirm that what you're experiencing is rare so it has to be something you've overlooked in settings or maybe an issue with your custom ICC display profile.

Good luck.

jferrari

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 10:37:26 am »

properly.

What were your Export settings for:

• Compression
  • Bit Depth
  • Resize to Fit
  • Resolution
  • Output Sharpening

besides JPEG and Color Space?
Nothing changes until something changes.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 11:58:32 am »

What were your Export settings for:

• Compression
  • Bit Depth
  • Resize to Fit
  • Resolution
  • Output Sharpening

besides JPEG and Color Space?

I see no specific Export option in LR5.7 for JPEG Compression and Bit Depth. I have JPEG Quality set to 100 (max) so I assume the compression is as lossless as possible and I assume bit depth is 8 bits since it's JPEG. Also, I get the identical poor result if I export to a TIFF in 16-bit ProPhoto RGB with no compression (TIFF compression is lossless anyway) so compression and bit depth don't appear to be factors.

Resize to fit - no resize
Resolution = 72 p/i
Output sharpening = none

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 12:08:47 pm by pcgpcg »

jferrari

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 04:48:24 pm »

Well shucks, Paul. I was kinda hoping that I would've found something that might explain your dilemma. Best of luck!     - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 06:01:21 pm »

Thanks to all who have put some thought into this.

I plan to create a much smaller (unstitched) file that exhibits the problem (with as few edits as possible) and then see if I can get someone from Adobe to examine it. I'll report back with what I find.

James_Schei

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 11:53:50 am »

Hi, this is kinda realted question so rather than new thread..  I am updated to latest LRCC and PSCC and on win 7 machine. If I export full size jpeg it looks very close to the view in the library module. so I am not getting your problem here exactly, but my strange thing is in the develop module preview. If I look at library preview(after edits) it has lots of starts and medium contrast and match's jpeg export but in the develop module preview it is much contrastier and there are way less dim stars and the bright ones are big and blown out. So that my previews no longer match. On a un modified file they match and on anything other than star file the library and develop previews match before and after editing. Any Ideas on how to make the star ones match after editing? Is there a way to force a new preview in the develop module? if that would make a difference? or other thoughts?
Pages: [1]   Go Up