Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 now available  (Read 6061 times)

howardm

Re: imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 now available
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 10:30:13 am »

the spec's pretty much read like a 3880 w/ 80mL carts (and they provide full ones!).  No roll support.  Wonder about the true 'actual length' and border situation for matte.

hugowolf

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 11:08:44 am »

...  Wonder about the true 'actual length' ...

The specs state 'Maximum Roll Print Length 23.4 inches' both the tray and the manual feed. However it also states, as do the specs on the US Epson site for the 3880, that the maximum sheet size is 17" x 22", which is at least contradiction, and in the case of the 3880, simply not true.

Vacuum feed though, that is definitely on the plus side, although noisier for domestic use.

Brian A

lelouarn

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 11:14:34 am »

Oh noooooo !
I really like to print panoramas, and there is no roll paper support :-(
I was really counting on Canon to get me away from clogging Epsons. But I guess if you want to print panoramas in this paper size-class, the Epson SC-P800 is now the only game in town...
I'm really disappointed.

howardm

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 11:22:02 am »

Yea, but Canon tends to 'mean it' when they say maximum length vs. Epson's 'well, we only sell 22" paper so that's the max length'.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 03:38:58 pm »

Looking forward to getting one to review (no date yet though) - I too look at that maximum page length with some concern though.

I'll keep whatever info I find in the mean time updated at http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/printers/pro-1000.html

I'm minded to think the limitations distinctly raise the probability of a proper update for the iPF5100 next year - possibly to go up against a SureColor update for the Epson 4900

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 04:27:08 pm »

Assuming that the maximum page-length thing on the pixma-pro line is some sort of over-cautious way of avoiding problems with paper curl, maybe the vacuum feed will allow them relax a bit? Hard to see any other reason for it, if it isn't just some historic accident of driver design that they can't be bothered to fix  :(

I live in the naive hope that one day there will be a firmware update for my pro-100... but it's a bit like my belief that it's worth buying an occasional loto ticket.

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 05:23:33 pm »

Phew!

Happy with my choice of P800...roll feed was key criteria I wanted.

Vacuum feed sounds nice...probably prevent some of my print head strikes.

After 3 months of Printing on the P800...not one clog...and has gone 2 weeks on more then one occasion between prints.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 03:51:24 am »

Looking forward to getting one to review (no date yet though) - I too look at that maximum page length with some concern though.

I'll keep whatever info I find in the mean time updated at http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/printers/pro-1000.html

I'm minded to think the limitations distinctly raise the probability of a proper update for the iPF5100 next year - possibly to go up against a SureColor update for the Epson 4900

For production and rolls there are affordable Canon 24" printers, I have my doubts whether there will be a replacement for the iPF5100 and even the Epson 4900. The relation head costs versus printer costs is a out of balance on the pro 17"models. This Pro-1000 aimed at the 3880 market share, that the P800 can handle rolls more or less, was not anticipated by Canon. The next Canon Pro-1010 might do rolls, more or less.

This vacuum thing and media transport on the Pro-1000, is that similar to existing "vacuum" systems on the larger printers and media transport still done by an axle and clamped on rollers or is there a transportation belt method used? The text is a bit cryptic on the subject.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 05:56:46 am »

Looks pretty cool, huh? ;) Can't wait to get my hands on a sample:
http://www.canon-europe.com/assets/videoplayers/video.html?bctid=4565576019001
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 06:44:50 am »

What is this - I get a dead flash link

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 06:49:03 am »

It looks like a conventional vacuum system to keep media flat and the usual roller clamps + axle transport. Not like the Zünd SwissQprint fabric belt system with a vacuum underneath. Quite cool nevertheless.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 07:04:26 am »

What is this - I get a dead flash link

There's a promo video about that new iPF, lots of interesting informations about improvements and cool features of that printer.

It looks like a conventional vacuum system to keep media flat and the usual roller clamps + axle transport. Not like the Zünd SwissQprint fabric belt system with a vacuum underneath. Quite cool nevertheless
Thanks for the info, very interesting - such vacuumed belt system would be awesome for double side printing...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:07:46 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 07:09:15 am »

God-awful distorted-processed piano on the sound-track is an interesting counterpoint to the message about image fidelity  :o

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 07:39:52 am »

Indeed, the dynamic range seems rather narrow.

God-awful distorted-processed piano on the sound-track is an interesting counterpoint to the message about image fidelity  :o

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 09:33:43 am »

such vacuumed belt system would be awesome for double side printing...

I was hoping for something like that for this printer. As it came it is no improvement for me.
I wanted a pigment printer (from Canon) capable of printing on small cut sheets (A4 and A3) of fine art paper without the silly 25mm borders. An improved system for double sided printing would be nice too.
Sure it may be a very nice printer for most people, it just fell short of my hopes.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 10:04:28 am »

I was hoping for something like that for this printer. As it came it is no improvement for me.
I wanted a pigment printer (from Canon) capable of printing on small cut sheets (A4 and A3) of fine art paper without the silly 25mm borders. An improved system for double sided printing would be nice too.
Sure it may be a very nice printer for most people, it just fell short of my hopes.
The video suggests that borderless on fine art papers is possible (an improvement), but double sided was very low on the 'to do' list for either Canon or Epson (I asked some time ago).

The margin issue may go away, so next on the list is actual maximum page length ;-)

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 10:23:47 am »

The video suggests that borderless on fine art papers is possible (an improvement)

The manual says otherwise:

• For Borderless Printing, use the following paper:
• Photo Paper Pro Platinum <PT-101>
• Photo Paper Plus Glossy II <PP-201>
• Photo Paper Pro Luster <LU-101>
• Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss <SG-201>
• Matte Photo Paper <MP-101>
• Photo Paper Pro Premium Matte <PM-101>

Performing Borderless Printing on any other type of paper may substantially reduce printing quality
and/or result in printouts with altered color hues.

Borderless Printing is not available for A5, B5, B4, B3, Legal, or 11" x 17" (28 x 43 cm) size paper or
plain paper.

Depending on the type of paper, Borderless Printing may reduce the print quality at the top and bottom
edges of the paper. Borderless Printing on thick paper may also smudge the front or back surface of the
paper.

The margin issue may go away, so next on the list is actual maximum page length ;-)

I can't see how the margin issue may go away, unfortunately.

John Caldwell

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 12:06:03 pm »

Any guesses regarding printing small sheet media, namely pre-scored greeting cards, and how the Pro-1000 would manage? I've been dragging my feet purchasing an Epson P800, which does appear to handle such cards, until we saw this machine.

John Caldwell

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 12:40:22 pm »

The manual says otherwise:

• For Borderless Printing, use the following paper:
• Photo Paper Pro Platinum <PT-101>
• Photo Paper Plus Glossy II <PP-201>
• Photo Paper Pro Luster <LU-101>
• Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss <SG-201>
• Matte Photo Paper <MP-101>
• Photo Paper Pro Premium Matte <PM-101>

Performing Borderless Printing on any other type of paper may substantially reduce printing quality
and/or result in printouts with altered color hues.

Borderless Printing is not available for A5, B5, B4, B3, Legal, or 11" x 17" (28 x 43 cm) size paper or
plain paper.

Depending on the type of paper, Borderless Printing may reduce the print quality at the top and bottom
edges of the paper. Borderless Printing on thick paper may also smudge the front or back surface of the
paper.

I can't see how the margin issue may go away, unfortunately.

Thanks for the info - in the video, there is a section where they mention fine art and there is a borderless print shown. Perhaps optimistic to think the two were related ;-)

Also, in the manual there is mention that it is possible to over-ride the border settings (with attendant warnings)

The optimist in me hopes that these warnings will once again prove to be the designers being overly cautious and covering themselves.

Anyway, it gives me a lot to explore when one turns up ;-)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up