Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica SL  (Read 19576 times)

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Leica SL
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2015, 11:54:10 am »

Perhaps semantics but I don't think the SL fits in this forum since it is titled Compact Systems Camera..... ;)

BJL

« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2015, 09:16:42 pm »

Why is it a negative term? Most cameras of a similar form/function have used mirrors, so by stating there is no mirror, it is easily understood what they are. It's a relative term, not a negative one.
Making up very clunky names like Electronic Finder Camera, years after a simple word has already become commonplace for such cameras is a bit foolish. Particular when there already exists a common phrase/acronym for such ways of viewing, i.e. EVF.
I agree that "mirrorless" is not negative in the sense of being disparaging, just as "wireless networking" is fine.  But I am going to quixotically allude to the virtues of having an EVF, with wording like "EVF camera". I doubt that will catch on either, but people should understand what I mean.

BJL

« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2015, 09:18:59 pm »

Perhaps semantics but I don't think the SL fits in this forum since it is titled Compact Systems Camera..... ;)
Actually, despite the mischievous use of a very small model at DPReview, the SL body is not so bulky, and is lighter than almost every 35mm format DSLR.  It is the 24-90/28-4 lens that fails to be compact!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 09:33:54 pm by BJL »

tnargs

• Just testing, very testing
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2015, 08:25:02 pm »

'Mirrorless' is a positive in the same sense as 'horseless carriage': it is clear what a piece of unnecessary baggage you are getting rid of.

Even 'compact' is a negative term in an American market that still buys more new F150 'cars' than Corollas.

In evolutionary terms, I am kind of glad that the SL is not particularly compact or cheap, because it helps the new camera form to get over the hump of being seen as only a size or money saver. The SL is saying "I'm going to be so great to look through and so super responsive that you will realize that this actually a better way to do cameras". A kind of myth-buster.
“Symbolism exists to adorn and enrich, n
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up