Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Now I've bloody well done it  (Read 4249 times)

stamper

Re: Now I've bloody well done it
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 08:20:26 am »

Yes, but the 24-120 performs less well on the D800, which is why decided to sell it & get a prime lens. I was going to go for the new Nikon 24mm f1.8, but the Zeiss was there, and a deal to be done that saved me money on selling the zoom and buying the new Nikon 24mm

Is it the resolution of the D800 the problem?

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 08:31:25 am »

Can't speak for Bill, but in my own case it saves the trouble of trying to decide which way to tackle something: you simply do what you know is possible and work that as far and as well as you can. There's nothing worse than standing looking and wondering: what focal length should I be using?

Interesting, I never felt that problem. In fact I always have as standard one camera body on a 24-70 and another on a 70-200 lens. I view the scene and decide what to frame and then I take the lens/body combo that fits the various compositions. That's for landscapes and I could never live with a single prime lens for that.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 09:22:50 am »

Is it the resolution of the D800 the problem?
I think that's what it is. On the D700, files looked nice & sharp. On the D800, far less so. I've not had much chance to shoot the Zeiss yet, but did fire off a few 'frames' yesterday (handheld), and sharpness doesn't seem to be a problem at all. I'm hoping to get out this weekend & test it more thoroughly.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 09:51:47 am »

You should have got the Zeiss 25 f2 :)

NancyP

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 11:40:45 am »

yes, Zeiss lenses are dangerously appealing if you are the manual focus sort (I am). I have one, the 21mm f/2.8. I still don't have a normal zoom.

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2015, 02:48:27 pm »

yes, Zeiss lenses are dangerously appealing if you are the manual focus sort (I am). I have one, the 21mm f/2.8. I still don't have a normal zoom.

Maybe... I used to have a 180mm Sekkor on a Mamiya TLR body before I could afford a 150mm for my 'blad 500 Series. When I could, and bought, I was disappointed in several ways. The Sekkor seemed sweeter, in some odd way that I can't really articulate, and a better length for heads, which was why I bought both of the lenses. 'blad didn't have a 180mm then... The Sonnar was very prone to flair if the sun dared get near it. But that was decades ago, so maybe things have changed a lot chez Zeiss.

Rob C

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2015, 03:27:19 pm »

You should have got the Zeiss 25 f2 :)

Indeed. If I had the extra few hundred quid, I would. I haven't, so I haven't. But when I have, I probably will.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up