Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Folded Photo Cards  (Read 1636 times)

jerryw

• Jerry Weimar Photography
Folded Photo Cards
« on: October 20, 2015, 08:11:16 am »

I'd like to do folded photo cards, say 5x7", that have a glossy photographic front/ back, but a more mat-like finish on the inside (so they don't smear when being written on).  Like the ones you can buy in every photo-store and card-store in North America (unless my eyes have fooled me all these years!).

Yet options from folks like MPix and VistaPrint only offer all glossy or all mat.

Do any of you know an option for getting these type of cards printed?  Or is it just not out there?

[ And, just a curiosity, but I would really like to know why folks like Mpix and VistaPrint don't do this.  I've asked, and all they tell you is "we don't do it" not why they don't do it.  VistaPrint even told me they have had multiple such requests.  If any of you have "why" thoughts, I would love to hear them. ]

Thanks for your help.

Dale Villeponteaux

Re: Folded Photo Cards
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 11:41:58 am »

Because you can take any 8.5"X 11" sheet of photographic paper, print on the front and then fold it in half.
The outside will be glossy and the inside suitable for hand-written notes.

Regards,
Dale
My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

JeanMichel

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 01:46:37 pm »

Strathmore makes folded card, glossy on one side and mate on the inside; they come with envelopes. Check your local art supply store for that. I do not use those, but I do use their 5 by 7 photo-mount cards and simply attach 4 by 6 prints on them. I first print my studio information on the back first.
Jean-Michel

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 02:52:05 pm »

I'd like to do folded photo cards, say 5x7", that have a glossy photographic front/ back, but a more mat-like finish on the inside (so they don't smear when being written on).  Like the ones you can buy in every photo-store and card-store in North America (unless my eyes have fooled me all these years!).

Yet options from folks like MPix and VistaPrint only offer all glossy or all mat.

Do any of you know an option for getting these type of cards printed?  Or is it just not out there?

[ And, just a curiosity, but I would really like to know why folks like Mpix and VistaPrint don't do this.  I've asked, and all they tell you is "we don't do it" not why they don't do it.  VistaPrint even told me they have had multiple such requests.  If any of you have "why" thoughts, I would love to hear them. ]

Thanks for your help.

Because they cannot make money fooling with them. (Selling price point)
I have 2 unused boxes laying here for 5 years.
Have fooled with several but at over a dollar each plus the time to setup it is not there.
As gifts or advertising would probably be the market.
There are probably many here that use a template setup and once you do that it's a piece of cake.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 07:06:11 pm by Dan Berg »

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 04:13:46 pm »

I print my own, using pre-scored cardstock from Red River Paper. They are not inexpensive, but the final results look good. I prefer the matte paper, but they sell glossy too. I print note and thank-you cards which I send to clients, and all of our personal and work holiday cards. I'm using an Epson 3800, but any of the smaller photo printers should work. Wear cotton gloves when folding the cards.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

jerryw

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 08:15:21 am »

Strathmore makes folded card, glossy on one side and mate on the inside; they come with envelopes. Check your local art supply store for that. I do not use those, but I do use their 5 by 7 photo-mount cards and simply attach 4 by 6 prints on them. I first print my studio information on the back first.
Jean-Michel

Thanks for the reference Jean-Michel, I was not aware of these folks.

jerryw

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 08:16:50 am »

Because they cannot make money fooling with them. (Selling price point)
I have 2 unused boxes laying here for 5 years.
Have fooled with several but at over a dollar each plus the time to setup it is not there.
As gifts or advertising would probably be the market.
There are probably many here that use a template setup and once you do that it's a piece of cake.

That was my first thought as well, Dan.  But, upon second thought, I'm not at all sure that is the case.  They sell all sorts of other DIY cards - which they apparently are making money at - and the only diff here would be the specific paper.

jerryw

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 08:17:52 am »

I print my own, using pre-scored cardstock from Red River Paper. They are not inexpensive, but the final results look good. I prefer the matte paper, but they sell glossy too. I print note and thank-you cards which I send to clients, and all of our personal and work holiday cards. I'm using an Epson 3800, but any of the smaller photo printers should work. Wear cotton gloves when folding the cards.

Thanks for the reference Ken, I was not aware of these folks either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up