Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 17 inch notebook recommendation for editing and presentation  (Read 3834 times)

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com
17 inch notebook recommendation for editing and presentation
« on: October 19, 2015, 05:54:25 pm »

Hi!

I need a 17 windows laptop which I would like to use for client presentations (wedding photography) and editing.

Until recently, I had a 17 macbook pro but I would like to move away from mac.

I wild like to have something presentable. I don't really want to have a gaming laptop because it is just too futuristic looking. I liked the clean look of my old macbook pro.

Do you have anything you can recommend?

Thanks!

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: 17 inch notebook recommendation for editing and presentation
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 05:59:52 pm »

Shame the new Microsoft laptop doesn't come in a 17" size.
As that is quite appealing. I too have the 17"MBP and sadly there is no longer an Apple replacement for it.  :-\

Last I did any looking at Win Laptops, Sony had the best screens, i.e. they weren't high quality and most importantly not glossy mirrors. But that was a while back now.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 06:29:11 pm »

My son bought a Lenovo Y70 and it's a nice piece of hardware. Touch screen, too.
~ CB

jjj

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 07:33:43 pm »

Having played with a couple of Win Laptops with touch screens, Macs seem a bit backward now.
OSX/Win may not be designed with touch in mind like say iOS, but it's still handy on a laptop.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 03:45:59 am »

Having played with a couple of Win Laptops with touch screens, Macs seem a bit backward now.
OSX/Win may not be designed with touch in mind like say iOS, but it's still handy on a laptop.

I like that OSX is not touch sensitive and like not to have finger spots on the screen :)

I use the 15" retina version and find the screen big enough. Compared to the old 17" also lightning fast.

jjj

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 03:48:12 pm »

I like that OSX is not touch sensitive and like not to have finger spots on the screen :)
I'm also not a fan of finger prints on screens, but that doesn't alter the fact that touch screens are an extremely useful way to interact with software and having tried it you realise how handy it can be. Also having suffered with RSI in the past, anything that reduces dependence on crappy mice is a good thing.

I use the 15" retina version and find the screen big enough. Compared to the old 17" also lightning fast.
A new computer being faster than an older one, well that's a surprise! A 17" version would be just as nippy and could have room for a second hard drive too.
I like a big screen as it's well bigger. Higher res does not make the smaller screen any bigger, no matter how often an Apple store numpty tells me this. I can watch TV on my phone and it the same angle of view as my projected TV image if I hold it close enough, but it still looks small and pokey compared to a actual large screen.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 05:03:51 pm »

I'm also not a fan of finger prints on screens, but that doesn't alter the fact that touch screens are an extremely useful way to interact with software and having tried it you realise how handy it can be. Also having suffered with RSI in the past, anything that reduces dependence on crappy mice is a good thing.
A new computer being faster than an older one, well that's a surprise! A 17" version would be just as nippy and could have room for a second hard drive too.
I like a big screen as it's well bigger. Higher res does not make the smaller screen any bigger, no matter how often an Apple store numpty tells me this. I can watch TV on my phone and it the same angle of view as my projected TV image if I hold it close enough, but it still looks small and pokey compared to a actual large screen.

AS you can imagine, I do use touch screen on my iPhone and on my iPads :) But I have to say I never misser a touch interface on my MBP. Maybe just me...

The example is perhaps a bit extreme :) The difference in size between a 15" and 17" is not that big. The higher resolution does in my opinion compensate a lot. It's a long time since I had any issues with a mouse or keyboard. I use a mouse only on my desktop setup with the MBP. Otherwise I use the trackpad only. I also use shortcuts a lot, so for about 20 years or so I had no issues. The fact that a new 15" is so much faster could be a way to overcome the switch :)

jjj

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 05:18:51 pm »

I make a point of learning as many shortcuts as possible, but a crappy keyboard or poor desk setup can also cause issues.
I have a trackpad on desk, but it warped and now also cannot maintain bluetooth connectivity. Which is particularly annoying as mighty mouse scrolling packed in fairly quickly too.
I prefer to use left hand for mouse, so it's even harder to get a decent one. They are usually too small, as are the Apple mice.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 05:21:59 pm »

I make a point of learning as many shortcuts as possible, but a crappy keyboard or poor desk setup can also cause issues.
I have a trackpad on desk, but it warped and now also cannot maintain bluetooth connectivity. Which is particularly annoying as mighty mouse scrolling packed in fairly quickly too.
I prefer to use left hand for mouse, so it's even harder to get a decent one. They are usually too small, as are the Apple mice.

On the desk I use the Apple magic mouse which for me is the best mouse I ever had. I tried the Apple track pad but at the desk it did not work for me. On the MacBook only the trackpad works great for me. No issues at all, but this is just me :)

jjj

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 05:33:02 pm »

I love the trackpad on the MBP, but the magic mouse is simply too small. Horrid little thing, almost as bad as the puck mouse that came with the original iMac and which caused a lot of RSI.
Often wondered if Ives has the hands of a small child.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 06:40:59 pm »

I love the trackpad on the MBP, but the magic mouse is simply too small. Horrid little thing, almost as bad as the puck mouse that came with the original iMac and which caused a lot of RSI.
Often wondered if Ives has the hands of a small child.

Well I have the hands of a pianist and like it so maybe Ives has too :)

jjj

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 06:47:02 pm »

Well I have the hands of a pianist and like it so maybe Ives has too :)
What if the pianist wants them back?  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up