Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: One Camera, One Lens  (Read 6221 times)

DucatiTerminator

One Camera, One Lens
« on: October 19, 2015, 05:53:34 pm »

I read/lurk in this section and the similar section on another forum with great interest as I get ready to enter MFD. I have a decent idea of what I would like to get into emotionally, then I read something here which makes me think about how it would help me grow -- sometimes it helps me justify my "convictions," other times it makes me question my "emotional tugs." I'm hoping that by reading your responses to the following question(s), it might help me see something to which I have yet to open my eyes. Please note that I am not a pixel peeper in general, and I'm hoping that this does not turn into an overly technical or "a 35FF or MILC will do the same as that at a much lower cost" thread (hence, the Cost/budget not being an issue part). I sincerely thank you in advance.

Cost/budget not being an issue, if you could choose ONLY one camera and ONLY one lens with which to shoot, what would they be, and why? If you would like to share your primary genre of photography, please feel free to include.
La gallina vecchia fa buon brodo

bpepz

Re: One Camera, One Lens
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 11:42:12 pm »

I read/lurk in this section and the similar section on another forum with great interest as I get ready to enter MFD. I have a decent idea of what I would like to get into emotionally, then I read something here which makes me think about how it would help me grow -- sometimes it helps me justify my "convictions," other times it makes me question my "emotional tugs." I'm hoping that by reading your responses to the following question(s), it might help me see something to which I have yet to open my eyes. Please note that I am not a pixel peeper in general, and I'm hoping that this does not turn into an overly technical or "a 35FF or MILC will do the same as that at a much lower cost" thread (hence, the Cost/budget not being an issue part). I sincerely thank you in advance.

Cost/budget not being an issue, if you could choose ONLY one camera and ONLY one lens with which to shoot, what would they be, and why? If you would like to share your primary genre of photography, please feel free to include.

Any full frame Hasselblad, preferably something like a H4D-60 paired with the HC 80mm 2.8 hands down. H4d-60 is first choice, However, even something like a H3D-39 works great too. Not a bad option since they are really afforable, around 5-6k now. I really love the special rendering it produces with the 80mm.

Here are some samples with the H3D-39 and HC 80mm.

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic.mhtml?id=219550525&src=id
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic.mhtml?id=245695726&src=id
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic.mhtml?id=257165404&src=id
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic.mhtml?id=154600019&src=id

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 02:53:18 am »

One camera, one lens?

Credo 40, 645DF+  bundle with the Schneider 80 LS.
This is probably the most overlooked, underrated lens in MF currently. It might be a "Kit" lens, but its rendering and sharpness is second to none.
Enough talking

The worst kept secret is that there are at least 4 more Mamiya lenses you could get for around USD 300-400 to expand the system. Not as sharp as the Schneiders, but still excellent and have very nice renderings.

If cost is no bar, you could also look at the higher end Credos (CMOS or CCD, depending on which way you swing).

my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Conner999

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 08:52:36 am »

H5D40 w/ 50II or 120mm (though 35-90 would be tempting) - lens is a tougher one.  Logic: minimal spending on a rapidly depreciating product (any digital body),  True Focus, large VF, 1/800 sync, good pixel count.  Can also take older Hassy V mount glass via adapter.  Body ticks all the boxes I want in a MFD, but no more - save $$ for glass, etc.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 10:11:12 am »

Aptus II-5, DF+ and Shneider 110mm f/2.8 LS.
Instagram (updated often)

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 10:13:38 am »

Inquiring minds want to know - how many motorcycles have you totalled, er, terminated, DT?  :D
Right now I am shooting a lot of field macro, so I have a two lens set with me most of the time: Canon 6D with 125mm f/2.5 Voigtlander Apo-Lanthar 1:1 macro, and for everything else, the el-cheapo Canon pancake 40mm f/2.8. Nice light hiking kit, along with a lightweight tripod, shutter release, polarizing filter. I am an amateur. I greatly admire the color quality and detail of MF, but can't justify MF purchase on basis of client demand, because I don't have clients.

Joe Towner

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 10:52:23 am »

Franken H5x with IQ250 and the HCD 35-90mm - I love what the Sony chip gives me, the 35-90 is just amazing (and will keep me in the H camp at least partially).  Why IQ over the -50c - CaptureOne & CapturePilot.

The budget option is the 645z with the 45-85 - extremely useful range, just need it to be upgraded for all-weather use.
t: @PNWMF

DucatiTerminator

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 12:14:02 pm »

Inquiring minds want to know - how many motorcycles have you totalled, er, terminated, DT?  :D
Right now I am shooting a lot of field macro, so I have a two lens set with me most of the time: Canon 6D with 125mm f/2.5 Voigtlander Apo-Lanthar 1:1 macro, and for everything else, the el-cheapo Canon pancake 40mm f/2.8. Nice light hiking kit, along with a lightweight tripod, shutter release, polarizing filter. I am an amateur. I greatly admire the color quality and detail of MF, but can't justify MF purchase on basis of client demand, because I don't have clients.

Hi Nancy,

Lol, I have a 30-year riding/racing history, and luckily I've never crashed a bike to the point it couldn't be repaired, knock on wood. My screen name is over a decade old and comes from my first Ducati. I'm new to photo forums in general, and my old brain didn't want to have to remember a new login lol. I'm an amateur as well and have been using Canon since the EOS-1 days. I tend to travel a fair amount and have recently picked up some Fuji kit as its even more portable than the Canon which pays big dividends especially when traveling on two wheels. I shot medium format film (RZ-67) a long time ago and miss it greatly. Like you, I can't justify the purchase on the basis of client demand -- it's more of a personal/bucket list/feed the inner artist thing. The shots that have wowed and inspired me the most lately, some posted on this forum actually, have been shot with MFD. I don't have any pretensions of inherent improvement or artistic growth by moving to MFD, but there is this voice in my head that simply won't shut up. Perhaps I need therapy, lol.

Alvin

DucatiTerminator

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 01:03:04 pm »

One camera, one lens?

This is probably the most overlooked, underrated lens in MF currently. It might be a "Kit" lens, but its rendering and sharpness is second to none.
Enough talking

The worst kept secret is that there are at least 4 more Mamiya lenses you could get for around USD 300-400 to expand the system. Not as sharp as the Schneiders, but still excellent and have very nice renderings.

If cost is no bar, you could also look at the higher end Credos (CMOS or CCD, depending on which way you swing).

Thank you for the info and nice images, Sandeep. I got a small (informal) taste of what the SK 80 LS was like recently, and definitely like the results. On a personal note, Credo/PhaseOne and the SK 80 LS have always been on the table for me. I'm hoping everyones' responses allow me to see things in perspectives outside of my sometimes narrow view. Though my budget is relatively flexible, the "cost no object" part of the question was to avoid the "why buy an overpriced Phase or Leica when the new Sony gives you similar or better IQ for less money" kind of comments, for example. As far as CCD vs. CMOS, I don't think it would be my deciding criteria, however, most of the images that have wowed me the most so far have been shot with CCD.

Franken H5x with IQ250 and the HCD 35-90mm - I love what the Sony chip gives me, the 35-90 is just amazing (and will keep me in the H camp at least partially).  Why IQ over the -50c - CaptureOne & CapturePilot.

The budget option is the 645z with the 45-85 - extremely useful range, just need it to be upgraded for all-weather use.

Thank you, Joe. Interesting answer for sure. I'm new to CaptureOne and the more I become familiar with it, the more I like it. I often forget that non-Credo/P1 medium format is not supported by C1P. While that may not be a deal breaker, it certainly is a consideration.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 02:18:55 pm by DucatiTerminator »

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 02:33:03 pm »

Welcome on board Alvin,

If you are not in a rush to swipe your credit card, my best advise would be to start looking/ holding/ shooting the cameras on your list...visit some shops if possible, contact the local reps/ distributors and ask to try some kit. Get some RAW files and play with them in whatever software you prefer working with.

Only YOU can decide what works best for you and what fulfils your emotional/ visual/ practical/ financial needs.

If you need any advice or need a local hook-up on Mamiya Leaf or Phase One please do not hesitate to contact me and I'll do my best to help.

Good luck and enjoy the journey, whatever you end up buying!

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 02:42:33 pm »

"La gallina vecchia fa buon brodo"

Now that is distinctly cruel!

Vergògnati! Beat up on a fish instead.

;-)

Rob C

DucatiTerminator

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 04:04:45 pm »

Welcome on board Alvin,

If you are not in a rush to swipe your credit card, my best advise would be to start looking/ holding/ shooting the cameras on your list...visit some shops if possible, contact the local reps/ distributors and ask to try some kit. Get some RAW files and play with them in whatever software you prefer working with.

Only YOU can decide what works best for you and what fulfils your emotional/ visual/ practical/ financial needs.

If you need any advice or need a local hook-up on Mamiya Leaf or Phase One please do not hesitate to contact me and I'll do my best to help.

Good luck and enjoy the journey, whatever you end up buying!

Yair

Thank you, Yair.

I'm not in any rush at all. Interestingly, what started me down the MFD path was seeing the press release for the XF One and attending one of the open house events (thanks, DT! lol). The camera was delayed due to UPS so I had my first exposure to the DF+/SK 80/new SK35/IQ3XX. Most of the attendees were MF shooters, mostly pros from what I could tell. There was a (seemingly) skeptical Nikon D810 shooter there who, along with me, didn't have experience with MFD. When the XF One arrived, I was the last to play with it. Since my interest was only casual at that point, I didn't want to take time away from anyone who had a more serious interest. Not sure how to put this into words, but the camera gave me an emotional tug (I usually only feel this with bikes lol). Since then, I've had some one on one time with the camera and IQ350/IQ380. It's not an inexpensive system by any means, but it is very easy to like for me. I'm playing around with the RAW files now (and some additional ones that were sent to me) and I'm finding I really like CaptureOne which makes it easier to gravitate towards P1/Credo.

Of course, the decision will be based on my requirements/needs, but I have found such a wealth of knowledge, experience, and artistry here that I find it in my best interests to listen, learn, keep an open mind to that shared by others. Yes, in the end, only I can make the decision for myself. Yet I have found that the shared experiences of others here have opened my eyes towards looking at things in a different way which sometimes challenges my convictions and forces me to be brutally honest with "needs." I'm hoping that this thread will provide more of that insight.

Thank you very much for your offer. I really appreciate it.

Alvin

DucatiTerminator

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 04:11:38 pm »

;-)

Rob C

LOL, it's from Valentino Rossi in Sepang when he won his 9th World Championship in MotoGP.

He is the oldest in a field of much younger pilots -- I am the oldest among the kids with whom I used to go riding, hence the quote.

James Clark

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 05:24:20 pm »

One camera, one lens?

Enough talking

Nice shots.   I'd go with the P45+ though.  (But I concur on the awesome versatility and quality of the 80.)

Ken R

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 10:15:15 pm »

For Landscape I would choose one of the 60 or 80 MP PhaseOne IQ backs and a 40mm HR-W Rodenstock lens plus an Arca or Alpa body.

For People work I would choose the PhaseOne XF and the 80mm LS lens and a IQ350 back.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 04:38:24 am »

LOL, it's from Valentino Rossi in Sepang when he won his 9th World Championship in MotoGP.

And if all goes to plan (at least MY plan) he will win his 10th this Sunday at the same place!!!!
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 05:02:17 am »

Unless you have an urgent need for a back, I would personally wait for a possible larger sized CMOS.

It is anyone's guess when those will/would be released, but the IQ250 will have been announced 2 years ago in January, so it seems reasonable to expect that a larger CMOS could be announced before Dec-2016.

Now, if money is not a concern, they you'll always be able to upgrade for 15,000~ US$ at a later stage anyway. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 08:03:22 am »

From a sheer results standpoint, my Nikon D4 is more or less perfect. There's not much I'd change or upgrade. 16mp is perfect for nearly all my applications and my computer and harddrives love it. it's incredibly responsive and fast and does most things not just well, but exceptionally well. For what I shoot and how I see, the D4 plus the 58 1.4 essentially would let me shoot 75% of my jobs. Swap that with the 24-70 and that number increases to 95%. But if I were choosing one camera and lens that pleases me the most? That I've used? My H5X and Credo 40 with the 80mm. Swap that for a full frame MF sensor and that's my desert island setup.

IanB

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 08:18:22 am »

And if all goes to plan (at least MY plan) he will win his 10th this Sunday at the same place!!!!

He's a good old chicken - and old guys should rule! I remember what his race mechanic (I think) from a few years ago said when asked what he was like: "Mad as a box of frogs" was the answer, but he still does the business.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 08:53:14 am »

;-)

Rob C

Don't take it TOO personal, Rob...

Peter
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up