Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Glasweegeee's new series - Harrodsburg  (Read 12359 times)

drmike

• On Flickr:
Re: Glasweegeee's new series - Harrodsburg
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 08:26:41 am »

Ever visited the range finder forum? They seem to agonise over this quite a bit.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 08:28:51 am »

Glad to hear it.
Not a rangefinder fan myself, so wouldn't hang out there.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 09:28:12 am »

The couple in the orange car are victims? They are revelling in the attention. http://www.dougiewallace.com/0f07pk7lx34xzyj22m7ii7yufm3eqx

This group shot which I think is wonderful - they're not victims http://www.dougiewallace.com/uhorue9hdpmhsib1pcpa68gcs228t7

But I do know what you mean some are might be seen in that way although I'm not sure just how much sympathy I have for some of them which I suppose is my character flaw.

All these people are victims because of the context into which they will be placed.

Being very rich doesn't bless you with great physical looks; especially for a woman, knowing full well that with all that money sloshing about, your 'mate' is going to be hunted with a vengeance by every little glamour puss with an eye on a bigger bank balance, whatever she might be required to do to get it, the pressure to do whatever you can to compete with said tart is irresistible: men being men, and the rich even more so in many cases, a girl has to do what a girl has to do. That the results can be grotesque is par for the course, especially as the years roll on.

Perhaps a more fitting emotion would be one of sympathy. Being very rich isn't all rose petals; the higher you get, the harder the fall.

Revelling in the attention: who can tell why people wear the expression they do; it could be something on the radio, a joke just heard or exchanged... a pap who appears out of the blue doesn't seem to be the likely cause... though perhaps derision for the lowly job and occupation of the guy with the camera might be reason enough. Who knows? I don't any more than does anyone else not privy to the moment.

Rob C

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 09:42:29 am »

Hmm, not sure I can agree with all this. Focus on the couple in the orange and very expensive car. If you don't want to be 'seen' and have others notice that badge of wealth then don't drive it around in the worst possible environment for them. In the nicest possible way they are revelling in their affluence as indicated by the car, they surely want to be noticed and hence looked at. I know it's a generalisation but I think as such it's likely to be true.

I have an old Jaguar which is worth at best 800 quid but it attracts attention as it's lovely and it always puts a smile on my face to drive it. I know it will possibly prompt a reaction and if I don't want people to look I use my other car. The reaction is usually a benign 'nice car' sometimes what a prat for driving a lump like that and I sometimes get cut up on the road. I should care? Maybe I'm projecting my own feeling onto others.

As for the bit about women I'm not qualified to comment but once again - don't be ostentatious if you don't want the attention or as our American cousins might say - suck it up. I don't actually understand that expression but I think I have used it correctly.

I don't accept that they are victims and if they feel they are then there are simple things they can do to avoid attention. They do at least have a choice whereas the homeless do not and I do feel that they are sometimes victims.

jjj

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 10:04:00 am »

Perhaps a more fitting emotion would be one of sympathy. Being very rich isn't all rose petals; the higher you get, the harder the fall.
Really Rob, really?  :o  That sort of comment is what you expect in satire of those the extreme right who despise poor people.
Those who never get to bottom rung of the ladder through circumstances beyond their control they are the ones who deserve sympathy, not those who had everything and blew it. The rich tend to stay rich as money begets money on the whole.

Heck if you are rich and not happy, then give the money that is doing you no good to worthy causes.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2015, 10:13:29 am »

I'm intrigued by the photo of the woman with the bandaged had and the Sotheby sack. She doesn't seem to fit in really.

It's interesting to think about what people get from people photography:
-esthetic pleasure (Weston, Minor White, Mapplethorpe)
-some sort of percieved insight into a famous person (Annie Leibovitz of John Cleese)
-memory of a friend/lover/family member
-fantasy/lust (Helmut Newton... of Charlotte Rampling for eg)
-empathy/sympathy (Dorothea Lange's depression era photos
-Curiosity (Paparazzi)

I have a feeling the Harrodsburg fall into another category: moral superiority. Ie, "you may have more money than me, but you've got bad taste and you're fat"

Which is why I wonder who would want these on their wall.

They may of course be "art", which justifies all.

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2015, 10:14:56 am »

Driving a Lambo may be something huge for you - it certainly would have been for me when I was young enough to make having one a worthwhile thing rather than a liability, but either way, an impossible concept for me. However, driving a Lambo when you can buy any number of them is far from being the same thing. It's a similar thing with yachts: had a close friend who owned a 25m Italian yacht. We went from here in Mallorca down to Gibraltar in it, and I thought it wonderful; however, tied up in Torrevieja, I watched as a couple in a smaller yacht half the size at around 42ft came in: she was doing her thing with lines up front, and he was doing his with throttles up on the top. To me, that smaller boat was where it was at: big enough to go most places along the European coast in reasonable weather, handled by two, whereas the bigger boat required crew and the attendant loss of privacy... But the point is this: the same owner didn't want to take those 25m of glamour to Porto Cervo, because there, he felt he would have been the equivalent of the smaller yacht in Torrrevieja... you see what I mean about the relatively cheap Lambo?

On that level, what the 'poor people' might or might not think of someone in a Lambo hardly register on the Lambo owner's radar: they don't exist, are practically invisible. Unless they leap out of the gutter and hit them with a couple of flashguns. On the other hand, I'm speaking about old money. Nouveau might fit your typecasting better, but is there much of that in the Middle East?

At least, that's the lesson life seems to have taught me.

Rob C

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2015, 10:18:07 am »

Really Rob, really?  :o  That sort of comment is what you expect in satire of those the extreme right who despise poor people.
Those who never get to bottom rung of the ladder through circumstances beyond their control they are the ones who deserve sympathy, not those who had everything and blew it. The rich tend to stay rich as money begets money on the whole.

Heck if you are rich and not happy, then give the money that is doing you no good to worthy causes.

jjj, you are just playing devil's advocate.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2015, 10:21:00 am »

I'm intrigued by the photo of the woman with the bandaged had and the Sotheby sack. She doesn't seem to fit in really.

It's interesting to think about what people get from people photography:
-esthetic pleasure (Weston, Minor White, Mapplethorpe)
-some sort of percieved insight into a famous person (Annie Leibovitz of John Cleese)
-memory of a friend/lover/family member
-fantasy/lust (Helmut Newton... of Charlotte Rampling for eg)
-empathy/sympathy (Dorothea Lange's depression era photos
-Curiosity (Paparazzi)

I have a feeling the Harrodsburg fall into another category: moral superiority. Ie, "you may have more money than me, but you've got bad taste and you're fat"

Which is why I wonder who would want these on their wall.

They may of course be "art", which justifies all.

That's the best last word, at which point I surrender! Irrefutable logic.

;-)

Rob C

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2015, 10:50:20 am »

Well RobC I suspect we won't agree but I'll bow to your greater experience but when I have met decently wealthy people they seem quite keen to let everyone know their 'status'.

If driving a Lambo is not something huge then why on earth would you do it? Not an easy drive, not a practical drive and I'll bet they're not that comfortable so why would you have one in London especially if not to wear as a badge of wealth?

I'd have said all the oil wealth is nouveau riche unless I have missed your point. The richest man I knew could trace his title straight back to Somebody or other Grey around when Henry the Eighth was monarch.

jjj

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2015, 02:06:33 pm »

It's a similar thing with yachts: had a close friend who owned a 25m Italian yacht. We went from here in Mallorca down to Gibraltar in it, and I thought it wonderful; however, tied up in Torrevieja, I watched as a couple in a smaller yacht half the size at around 42ft came in: she was doing her thing with lines up front, and he was doing his with throttles up on the top. To me, that smaller boat was where it was at: big enough to go most places along the European coast in reasonable weather, handled by two, whereas the bigger boat required crew and the attendant loss of privacy... But the point is this: the same owner didn't want to take those 25m of glamour to Porto Cervo, because there, he felt he would have been the equivalent of the smaller yacht in Torrrevieja
Obviously a somewhat insecure person.
I've met the rich and/or famous on plenty of occasions. They are just humans like everyone else, except with more money.

Rob C

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2015, 02:32:38 pm »

Obviously a somewhat insecure person.
I've met the rich and/or famous on plenty of occasions. They are just humans like everyone else, except with more money.

Probably we are all insecure, but only in relation to those even richer.

My point, really, in that driving those Lambos in England isn't to impress you and me, it's to keep up with the rest of the M.E. lot, and that takes a lot of money. When all of them can buy those toys, it creates its own problems, too. What can you do next to stand out?

Rob C

jjj

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2015, 02:41:40 pm »

Probably we are all insecure, but only in relation to those even richer.
Why would someone having more money than me make feel insecure?

My point, really, in that driving those Lambos in England isn't to impress you and me, it's to keep up with the rest of the M.E. lot, and that takes a lot of money. When all of them can buy those toys, it creates its own problems, too. What can you do next to stand out?
That's very easy, don't do the same cliched and boring things as everyone else.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2015, 04:19:50 pm »

That's very easy, don't do the same cliched and boring things as everyone else.

If it were easy, not everyone else would be doing them. Humans are subject to their compulsions.

Rob C

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2015, 04:27:34 am »

If it were easy, not everyone else would be doing them. Humans are subject to their compulsions.

Not to mention that those same 'boring things' like ownership of nice goodies can be very satisfying on its own account, regardless of how it does or does not impact on those without those goodies...

For example, in this borrowed image of unknown source (used only for reference!), I find exactly the same little Fiat X1/9 that I had for almost two years, until I discovered corrosion on the wheels due to badly-fitted factory balance weights: cathodic reaction due to contact between two different metals and delightful Scottish winter road salts! I got rid of it when Fiat advised they had been giving free replacements, but that the dealership hadn't bothered to tell me, and the offer had ended. Sweet.

Anyway, I could put two monoblocs and stands in the front trunk, along with tripod and camera case. The rear trunk was very good for cooking your food in, and just as long as you didn't mind the melted mat, it would probably have tasted fine. Only problem was there was no room for a radio anywhere and the thing should have been given the Alfa Sud Boxer engine instead of the sewing machine one it had. But it looked beautiful, and would have been perfect for the slow driving I now do here in Spain. Of course I'd have been forced to move away from the coast or find it a pile of dust in the car park one morning.

Maybe that was one of the 'boring things' then.

;-.)

Rob C

P.S. When you removed the targa top and stowed it away under the front hood, it kept you free of draughts even in winter. Pity Fiat screwed it up; should have been built properly and then give the right power plant. Delorean looked the wrong way.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 04:34:17 am by Rob C »

Jimbo57

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2015, 05:15:05 am »

You may, or may not, disagree politically with Glasweegee's essay which takes the pish out of "conspicuous consumption", but his use of photography to make his point has, in my opinion, been done exceedingly well. He makes what he obviously considers to be sub-human morons look even more ridiculous than they really are. In terms of pure photo-journalism, that has to be adjudged a success.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2015, 07:03:19 am »

He makes what he obviously considers to be sub-human morons look even more ridiculous than they really are. In terms of pure photo-journalism, that has to be adjudged a success.

That's a particularly modern definition of "journalism".

Rob: I had a Toyota MR2, the first version that was only about 5% bigger than an X-1/9. Similar issues, had to drive with the sun-roof popped open in order to have room for my head, easiest way to get out in some circumstances was on all fours. One of the few cars to which I felt any emotional attachment though.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:35:33 pm by GrahamBy »

jjj

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2015, 10:17:38 am »

It's very to not follow the crowd. Just don't do/wear/buy the same thing.
Most people prefer to be like everyone else though, which is quite different.

Rob C

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2015, 10:29:39 am »

That's a particularly modern definition of "journalism".

Rob: I had a Toyota MR1, the first version that was only about 5% bigger than an X-1/9. Similar issues, had to drive with the sun-roof popped open in order to have room for my head, easiest way to get out in some circumstances was on all fours. One of the few cars to which I felt any emotional attachment though.

I remember those! My nephew had a red MR2 which he kept a short while - I think he found it difficult to understand the dynamics of mid-engine weight distribution. In reality, despite the X1/9's rotten power output, it was the car which I drove the fastest I ever drove any car. Took a motorway to get there, but it eventually did. I wouldn't have trusted a 911, even had I been able to afford one. Engineer however you may, a heavy tail is a pendulum in waiting. IMO!

The Fiat had plenty of headroom - I was 5'11.75" in those days. I am not today. ;-(

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2015, 10:40:45 am »

It's very to not follow the crowd. Just don't do/wear/buy the same thing.
Most people prefer to be like everyone else though, which is quite different.

So if you're loaded, what, apart from Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati, Aston Martin, Koenigsegg do you buy? Bugatti? Now that is ridiculous, as much so as McLaren! Obviously, you can't buy Mercedes, and Porsche is a little, well, pedestrian at best.

;-)

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up