Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where have all the LLs gone?  (Read 677 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Where have all the LLs gone?
« on: October 18, 2015, 08:30:29 am »

I know this is a site for all kinds of photography, but I'm missing the "Luminous Landscapes" that show up here. There are many intriguing landscape photographers here. For my taste, I'm seeing too many "people" shots lately. Part observation, part complaint, part motivation.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Rob C

Re: Where have all the LLs gone?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 10:19:10 am »

I know this is a site for all kinds of photography, but I'm missing the "Luminous Landscapes" that show up here. There are many intriguing landscape photographers here. For my taste, I'm seeing too many "people" shots lately. Part observation, part complaint, part motivation.

Perhaps there aren't that many great ones being shot; as I know to my cost, it's damned difficult to make something exceptional out of landscape. In fact, perhaps the best I've seen belong to erstwhile poster Chuck K. and to that other, even more rare poster here, whose name I have forgotten: the guy who does the amazing desert storms in b/white? Frankly, I think that colour usually does landscape few favours: I think you have to make it go a step or two beyond its reality in order to make it exceptional, or you are back to square one: reportage of, and simple editing of nature, a concept that so infuriates those self-proclaimed landscape artists who don't, in fact, make much art.

Michael made some great Icelandic landscapes a few years ago; I seem to remember sweeping blacks with silver background subject matter.

I guess it's perhaps better to concentrate on a small bit of nature - in the manner that people like Slobodan do with cityscape.

Less being more?

Rob C

Mjollnir

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 10:40:12 am »

Huh.  In my case, it's because work for my wife and me both has demanded that we simply travel less over the past year or so.  Yes, we can still get to closer places easily, like Yosemite, Big Sur, etc... but those quickly planned and executed 5 day Jeep trips to, say, southern Utah are much more rare now.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 01:36:58 pm »

Me too.

I've got quite a pile (several hundred) from recent trips, mostly not yet processed, largely because of time and the fact that I'm still looking for the few that might possibly be up to the level that we have seen recently here on LuLa.

I'll try to get to some soon, even just to get your insightful critiques, Terry.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up