Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable tripod shopping  (Read 1376 times)

Benny Profane

Portable tripod shopping
« on: October 17, 2015, 11:13:16 pm »

I will be at Photo Expo this week. Which tripod manufacturers should I visit who make a nice light tripod for walking around cities and the woods. Best for, max, a DSLR.

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
Re: Portable tripod shopping
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 11:53:42 pm »

I just got an FLM and I'm very happy.
Price wise it's up there with the good stuff and design wise certainly worth it.
Main reason I bought it was the big 2+ meter height despite the low weight.

I did a review of it here if it helps. - FLM tripod review - dsaphoto.com

Michael N. Meyer

• Michael Nathaniel Meyer Freelance
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 10:03:47 am »

I've been using a Feisol Ct-3401 for several years and been happy with it. It's sort of middle of the road in terms of weight, height, , folded length, cost and features. It'll easily handle a DSLR. Feisol makes a range of models that fit different needs, all of which are highly functional and cost effective.

The Feisol range is worth looking at. I'd make other suggestions, but honestly haven't looked at tripods since.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 05:43:00 pm »

My choice is a Gitzo GT 1531, about 1100 gr if memory serves me, and stable enough.

Benny Profane

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 06:15:03 pm »

I like the Feisol prices.

This popped up on Youtube. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LGVOOUiiTWU

Any thoughts? I'm not rich.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 06:17:37 pm by Benny Profane »

macphotography08

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 12:21:57 am »

thanks for sharing.
nice information. :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:23:36 am by macphotography08 »

NancyP

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 03:30:59 pm »

Feisol CT 3442 and Arca-Swiss p0 inverted ball head (install your own clamp) are what I have, and this combo is an excellent lightweight and compact package for a 5'5" photographer. I haven't installed a center column on it - often I splay the legs out at 80 or 90 degrees for near- or at- ground shots. 3 pounds for the legs, head, Sunwayfoto 63mm screw discal clamp, 19.5" long when legs reversed over head (this works only with some heads, p0 and some mid-sized heads with ~ 60mm bases (many options). No excuse not to carry it.  :D   Handles consumer DSLR with wide angle to medium telephoto ~ combo under 2 kg. Perfect for mirrorless.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 05:05:10 pm »

One of this would fit the bill for light (under 2 lbs), very compact (11 to 16" folded) and strong enough (not the tallest though):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1156931-REG/sirui_bsrt024x_t_0x_series_tripod_kit.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917559-REG/sirui_bsrt025x_t_025x_carbon_fiber_tripod.html

PS. Those FLM tripods look very nice if you want a tall one without breaking your back, itchy fingers ...

dwswager

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 09:53:18 pm »

I will be at Photo Expo this week. Which tripod manufacturers should I visit who make a nice light tripod for walking around cities and the woods. Best for, max, a DSLR.

This is somewhat a nebulous question.  I currently use a RRS 34L.  Since it folds about 6 inches shorter and weighs about half of my old steel tripod, I find it highly "portable"!  My point is that what you think is portable or light might be significantly different from someone else. 

I find the 2 things I'm always concerned about is how high or how low I can get with a tripod.  I'm willing to sacrifice a little folded height and carry weight to get high and low.  I very rarely shoot from my natural eye level.  I also figure if I'm going to carry a tripod, I might as well carry a damn tripod.  That said, I'm travelling to Spain this summer with my daughter and I'm contemplating a lesser tripod than the 34L. It really comes down to convenience or necessity.  If I have to go lessor for necessity, that is one thing.  If going lessor is for convenience and it costs me performance, it will be a trade I will find unworthy afterwards and will have wished I just lugged a real tripod.
Pages: [1]   Go Up