Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DNG Workflow for Panasonic - any issues?  (Read 1120 times)

Paul Baxter

DNG Workflow for Panasonic - any issues?
« on: October 17, 2015, 10:08:32 pm »

I used to always convert my Canon raw files to DNG format on import to Lightroom. I have now moved from Canon to Panasonic.  I understand that some lens profiling and maybe other hardware specific data is included in the Panasonic raw files.  I have been importing these files directly into Lightroom.  Would I lose the Panasonic specific profiles if I converted to DNG on import? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul Baxter

AlterEgo

Re: DNG Workflow for Panasonic - any issues?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 11:04:59 pm »

I used to always convert my Canon raw files to DNG format on import to Lightroom. I have now moved from Canon to Panasonic.  I understand that some lens profiling and maybe other hardware specific data is included in the Panasonic raw files.  I have been importing these files directly into Lightroom.  Would I lose the Panasonic specific profiles if I converted to DNG on import? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul Baxter

Adobe code (unless there is or will be a bug - these things naturally happen) will include optics correction information in DNG created from .RW2, but what is the point to convert to DNG at all ? hopefully you still archive the original raw files...

Paul Baxter

Re: DNG Workflow for Panasonic - any issues?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 08:57:27 am »

Thanks for the info.  Yes, I always kept both the Canon raw file along with the DNG.  I know there are a lot of arguments about the merits of a DNG work flow.  As long as nothing is lost and the original is kept the arguments are academic and storage is cheap.  Why not cover both bases?
Pages: [1]   Go Up