Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone tried the MacPhun Apps / plugins?  (Read 1323 times)

jrp

Anyone tried the MacPhun Apps / plugins?
« on: October 17, 2015, 01:11:18 pm »

How do they compare to the usual suspects (Topaz Labs, Nik Software, Alien Skin, etc)? 

Is the raw conversion any good?

The online reviews are a bit sketchy, mainly explaining the range of available sliders.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 01:45:49 pm by jrp »

tnargs

• Just testing, very testing
Re: Anyone tried the MacPhun Apps / plugins?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 12:56:56 am »

This guy seems to have a lot of experience with different products and after reviewing Noiseless Pro and reviewing Tonality Pro (the ones with raw file processing), he rated each as his top choice app for noise reduction and for B&W.

I have the whole Pro suite but am still on a learning curve and don't feel qualified to comment, especially comparative comment, except to say that I am impressed so far.
“Symbolism exists to adorn and enrich, n

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 11:36:13 am »

I use the MacPhun CK suite (upgraded from previous purchase).

For RAW processing you can use:
- Intensify
- Tonality
- Noiseless
- Focus
- Snapheal

My workflow is through Lightroom so I typically "edit" in these app with 16 bit TIFFs from Lr or PS.  Therefore I really can't offer any detailed results with RAW processing.

I also use Google Nik Collection and these compare favorably. 

I prefer the Nik Define2 for noise reduction because of the flexible control point approach.

I use MacPhun Tonality a lot because of the built-in layer capabilities but the brush and eraser are a bit clunky compared to Nik's control points.

I use MacPhun Intensify because of the layer capability although Nik ColorEfex Pro 4 is quite good.

I prefer Nik Analog Efex Pro 2 to MacPhun Focus but in truth I haven't given Focus a real chance yet.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 11:45:49 am by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

jrp

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 02:01:57 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.

The particular area that Lightroom is fairly weak in, particularly for higher dynamic range images, is the clarity slider: I'd prefer a bit more control.  Nik has its tonal contrast filters.  Topaz has Clarity and Detail.  The Macphun filters seem to have Structure, Detail, which seem to offer greater control, which is what I would like, to avoid the need to brush local contrast in, so have more selectivity.

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 03:03:16 pm »

Yes, detail and structure are quite effective with MacPhun. 

Watch the MacPhun videos to see how things work and then sign up for the free trial. 

Disclosure:  I have NO connection to MacPhun or Google Nik products.  I'm just a user.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up