MattNQ

• My Website
Tracks
« on: October 17, 2015, 12:54:59 am »

Matt

Arlen

Re: Tracks
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 01:07:05 pm »

I quite like the first one. It evokes a kind of moodiness.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 02:25:04 pm »

I like both, but the first is a clear favorite.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 02:45:25 pm »

I would want to see it bigger and printed but the first one seems to have a certain something that is impressive.

MattNQ

• My Website
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 02:51:47 am »

Thanks all for your comments.

I do like the relative simplicity of #1 . It turned out better than I thought it would  :D
Matt

francois

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 04:22:29 am »

The first image is excellent, dramatic. Well done. I'm less thrilled by the second shot although the mood is very similar to the first one.
Francois

Tony Jay

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 05:20:10 am »

Wonderfully evocative images Matt!

I agree that the first is better than the second image but honestly that wooden bridge is also an exceptional effort.
However, from someone who really enjoys frequenting the Australian bush that first image is an absolute winner.
The combination of that sky in the background along with the geometry of the tracks and how they fork just transports it into another realm.

Congratulations!

Tony Jay

Otto Phocus

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 07:54:07 am »

Nice pleasing composition.

Both are nice, but I lean a little bit toward the first.  The two leading lines work well in this shot.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

stamper

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 09:15:51 am »

Nice pleasing composition.

Both are nice, but I lean a little bit toward the first.  The two leading lines work well in this shot.

Agreed.

MattNQ

• My Website
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 10:11:29 am »

The first image is excellent, dramatic. Well done. I'm less thrilled by the second shot although the mood is very similar to the first one.

Thanks Francois.  I wasn't 100% happy with #2. Not having the tops of the trees bugs me a bit.

This one is a slightly lower point of view, but I'm not sure if it works better?

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 10:14:41 am by MattNQ »
Matt

MattNQ

• My Website
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 10:20:18 am »

Wonderfully evocative images Matt!

I agree that the first is better than the second image but honestly that wooden bridge is also an exceptional effort.
However, from someone who really enjoys frequenting the Australian bush that first image is an absolute winner.
The combination of that sky in the background along with the geometry of the tracks and how they fork just transports it into another realm.

Congratulations!

Tony Jay

Thanks Tony. This is from Blencoe Falls in FNQ. Only a 2hr drive from the coast.
I still think its funny that my favourite pic from the trip (#1)  is not even of the rather dramatic waterfall  :D
Matt

MattNQ

• My Website
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 10:21:45 am »

Thanks all for looking and taking the time to comment
Matt

TomFrerichs

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 02:54:39 pm »

I very much like the first photograph; it's evocative. I'm feeling almost lazy as my eye wanders up that road. And the diverging road...well, maybe it's the primary route, but the one coming in from the left...helps me to keep looking further.

The second one doesn't appeal in the same way.

Tom Frerichs

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 11:51:53 am »

Late to the party, Matt.

Both photos are, to me, equally evocative, but in different ways.

I'm wondering if more could be made of the midtones in the first. The grasses seem to blend together in a dull, kind of lifeless way, when (knowing how grasses look in B&W from the Serengeti to the Prairies), with more local contrast, you could inject a little more life into them. Adding a little LR Clarity either globally or, better yet, as an adjustment brush with, perhaps an increase in contrast, would do it. But don't overdo it as it would then detract from the rest of the photograph.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

MattNQ

• My Website
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2015, 10:30:39 pm »

I very much like the first photograph; it's evocative. I'm feeling almost lazy as my eye wanders up that road. And the diverging road...well, maybe it's the primary route, but the one coming in from the left...helps me to keep looking further.

The second one doesn't appeal in the same way.

Tom Frerichs
Thanks Tom. Yes it does strike me as a 'lazy' image - some images drag your eyes into a point in interest, but  others your eyes just wander along the lines slowly
Matt

MattNQ

• My Website
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2015, 10:35:27 pm »

Late to the party, Matt.

Both photos are, to me, equally evocative, but in different ways.

I'm wondering if more could be made of the midtones in the first. The grasses seem to blend together in a dull, kind of lifeless way, when (knowing how grasses look in B&W from the Serengeti to the Prairies), with more local contrast, you could inject a little more life into them. Adding a little LR Clarity either globally or, better yet, as an adjustment brush with, perhaps an increase in contrast, would do it. But don't overdo it as it would then detract from the rest of the photograph.

Thanks Terry.  I originally tried more clarity globally but it started to overcook the clouds around the brighter white bits.
I haven't got back to trying any local adjustments yet but that might be the solution. 
Matt

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 08:47:53 am »

I'm very late to this one, Matt. Not only is #1 very nice, it's something you could use to good effect in a lecture on composition. Bravo!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

MattNQ

• My Website
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 03:50:55 am »

I'm very late to this one, Matt. Not only is #1 very nice, it's something you could use to good effect in a lecture on composition. Bravo!

Thank you Russ. Feel free to be as late as you like.
I'm glad it worked. By that time the family were in the car giving me the 'hurry up, are you finished yet' comments. No patience, some of these non-photographers ;D

Actually instead of the word "late" . I prefer "deferring one's entrance to allow arrival with style"
Doesn't work so well with work meetings though  ;D

Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up