Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EF vs mFT BMCC 2.5K?  (Read 5855 times)

adrjork

EF vs mFT BMCC 2.5K?
« on: October 16, 2015, 10:31:18 pm »

Hi guys,
finally I've tried GH4, A7S and BMPC 4k, and I must say that BMPC's RAW enchanted me.
The rental shop did not have BMCC 2.5k so I actually didn't try it, but anyway I think that my workstation could handle better 2.5K RAW than 4K RAW, and I'm thinking about storage. So I'd go for BMCC 2.5, but which mount: mFT or EF?
On the chart, mFT version + Canon-SpeedBooster + Canon f/1.2 lens should be faster than EF version + Canon f/1.2 lens, but also smoother.
On the over hand I can always mount directly a mFT Nocticron f/1.2 lens obtaining fast and sharpen results.
Any reasons to go for EF version?
Could you give me some advice?
Thanks a lot.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
Re: EF vs mFT BMCC 2.5K?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 12:32:14 am »

Hi guys,
finally I've tried GH4, A7S and BMPC 4k, and I must say that BMPC's RAW enchanted me.
The rental shop did not have BMCC 2.5k so I actually didn't try it, but anyway I think that my workstation could handle better 2.5K RAW than 4K RAW, and I'm thinking about storage. So I'd go for BMCC 2.5, but which mount: mFT or EF?
On the chart, mFT version + Canon-SpeedBooster + Canon f/1.2 lens should be faster than EF version + Canon f/1.2 lens, but also smoother.
On the over hand I can always mount directly a mFT Nocticron f/1.2 lens obtaining fast and sharpen results.
Any reasons to go for EF version?
Could you give me some advice?
Thanks a lot.

If you aren't going to buy into the 4/3 camera system, I don't see a good arguement for buying those lenses.

So... are you going to buy, or do you already have a still camera as well? Will the 4/3 lenses fit it? then go that way. If not, buy the EF mount. Canon lenses are fitting a LOT of cameras these days.

In the long term, you 'll spend a lot more money on lenses than on cameras (unless you get caught in the constant upgrade cycle BC keeps warning people about). Once cameras get to a certain level of quality, lenses are far more important to image-making than which camera you use (and light is more important than both). The better Canon lenses will stand up to anything and last as long as you want to keep using them. They'll fit anything from a D5 to a Red Raven, to a C500, to a BMC whatever. 4/3 lenses won't work on anything with a bigger sensor than 4/3. Not ever.

DAF
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

adrjork

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 05:48:11 pm »

In both versions - EF and mFT - BMCC can mount EF lenses: natively for EF vers. and by SpeedBooster for mFT vers.
I'd go for EF lenses anyway. My doubt is not about lens mount but about camera mount: BMCC-EF means stabilization and autofocus, while BMCC-mFT means 1 stop more and wider shot.
I think that theoretically BMCC-mFT should give fundamental advantages.
Is there any other particular reason to prefer EF version?
Thanks

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 07:47:05 pm »

Mft is way better for the chip size - ef excludes all mft - many contaxt nikon af - canon fd

Most likely you need a 12mm/2 and then some others - no 12mm ef primes at 2 that I know of
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

adrjork

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 07:59:11 pm »

I agree.

adrjork

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 11:19:18 pm »

I must say, Mr. bcooter, that after trying GH4... I don't like the result.
Finally I have a new "working" workstation, and I've tried to grade my shot-tests on GH4, A7S and BMC4K.
Compressed codec is no good for the kind of grading I need. RAW matches my needs, instead.
Yes, it's a heavy workflow, but it gives fantastic results.
Anyway, I love RAW, not BMCs: they eat light, a lot of light. And it's a limit for me.
So - I know you all will be horrified - I think that I'll go for Canon 5D3 + Magic Lantern.
I know... It's an old cam almost out of production, it's so smooth, it's not practical, ML is unstable, it's a complicated workflow... It's all true, but I need RAW and low-light: my priorities.
Now I'm trying to do a shopping list based on 5D3, and I'll need your advices, but it's better to open a new topic for that.
Thanks a lot.

adrjork

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 07:47:35 am »

though if you want to go raw, go sony a7sII and buy a boat load of NDs.
A7S2 can capture RAW video? Are you sure? Internally?

Thanks

adrjork

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 02:16:24 pm »

This is a super-new for me!
It would be perfect!
Please, let me know something.
Thanks a lot.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 11:44:22 pm »

A7S2 can capture RAW video? Are you sure? Internally?

Thanks

I don't believe it can record raw motion, only raw stills. (A lot of confusion about that, t seems, so I could be wrong.) I believe the internal recording is XAVC S at 100 Mbps (which is pretty good for HD, OK for 4K, but nowhere near RAW) 4:2:0 color internally, 4:2:2 to an external recorder. I'm trying to find out if the feed out of the HDMI port is uncompressed.

But lower ISO in S-log than the a7s (by one stop, I think) and a new S-Log3 mode as well.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 11:47:54 pm »

No not internally, but I was told through a recorder.

I'll know more today.

IMO

BC

That would be very interesting if true. Please let us know what you find out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up