Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breathing Color Coatings  (Read 1744 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Breathing Color Coatings
« on: October 16, 2015, 05:12:37 pm »

which coating is better/easier to spray?
Mike

Larry Heath

Re: Breathing Color Coatings
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 06:36:08 pm »

I spray Timeless Glossy straight, doesn’t get any easier than that. Can’t say about Glamour 2, never used it in a gun. I’ve rolled it, and it was good stuff. Both are good products.

P.S. Glamour 2 has to be diluted at least 2:1 for use in spray guns, I've heard of others diluting even further but that increases dry time between coats.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 09:29:32 am by Larry Heath »

BillK

• http://
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 11:52:41 am »

I have rolled timeless and found it had some issues. Never tried to spray it so can't say there.
I have sprayed hundreds of canvases with Glamour II and find it very forgiving of the occasional mistake.
It has leveling agents that help even out any application problems, where timeless doesn't.
If you are in a very humid area, Glamour II will take longer to dry. I am in a dry area and it
drys to the touch in about 10 minutes, ready for another coat.

I have a friend that sprays timeless, says he has to take the gun apart and clean it between every coat.
That would be a deal breaker for me, as I do canvases in batches and can spray over 30 coats in a day.
I run some hot water through the gun about every 4-5 coats and keep going with Glamour II.

prairiewing

• Pat Gerlach, Photographer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 01:29:33 pm »

I had clogging problems with Glamour II but have had no clogging problems with Timeless (Fuji gun)
Pat Gerlach
   Pat Gerlach, Photographer

BillK

• http://
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 02:06:38 pm »

I had clogging problems with Glamour II but have had no clogging problems with Timeless (Fuji gun)

Pat,

I've used a ton of Glamour II and never had a clogging  problem.  Guessing your issue may have been with how much you thinned
it.  It needs to be thinned 50% with distilled water. Also anything put in a spray gun should be put through a filter first, i case there are any
bits of debris. I am also using a Fuji gun.

Bill

prairiewing

• Pat Gerlach, Photographer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 03:22:47 pm »

I believe you Bill.  I also thinned 50% with distilled water and had clogs.  Who knows why?  I have used Timeless straight from the container since it was first offered and have had zero clogs even though I might go several days without cleaning the gun.

As someone else mentioned, both are good products.
Pat Gerlach
   Pat Gerlach, Photographer

Larry Heath

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 09:43:56 pm »

Most HVLP guns have an internal filter in the syphon tube; it can cause grief if materials particularly Timeless is left in the gun for any significant period of time. It will plug up the filter and no amount of cleaning with water based solvents, hot or cold, is going to clear it once it gets setup in there, the only recourse is to disassemble the gun and remove the filter. After that make darn sure you mix well and filter everything that goes into the gun.  If a gun with filter gets plugged up, it will act like you were trying to coat a canvas with an air brush, no volume no matter how you adjust the gun and the surface may orange peel as what material you are getting out of the gun is nearly dry before it hits the canvas.

I assume that the clogging is due to the Polymers in the mix and the exposure to air in the syphon tube turning it into water resistant plastic that dependent on exactly what type could be resistant to temps as high as 170 – 190 degrees C.

Having rolled Timeless I’ve had issues as well, pulls ink if you work the surface with the roller any at all, if you roll you have to slop in on so the roller doesn’t drag on the surface too much. This is why I now spray, where it works great. You can lay it down heavy quick and thick, two coats and you are done.

One of the deals with spraying at least in my mind is you don’t need a lot of leveling agents, you aren’t  leaving roller marks all over the place and should get a very nice smooth surface if your gun is setup correctly.

jferrari

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 06:45:58 am »

Most HVLP guns have an internal filter in the syphon tube; it can cause grief if materials particularly Timeless is left in the gun for any significant period of time. It will plug up the filter ...

Taking some tips from the automotive spraying industry -

• Ensure product is well stirred prior to filling spray cup
  • Use a cone filter when filling spray cup
  • Clean entire spray gun well immediately after use
  • Run solvent (in this case hot, distilled water) through the spray gun until clear
Nothing changes until something changes.

Larry Heath

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 10:37:35 am »

If you decide to spray Timeless I’d recommend the following straight away. I have a couple of cheap automotive (primer/doorjamb guns) HVLP guns, and personally I’d advise taking the internal filter out of the gun before you even start using it. Not only does it keep you away from the plugged up filter issue, but I feel the guns spray better and the adjustments are more effective, you can tune the gun much better and more easily. Also look for a gun with a larger tip/nozzle/needle size, in the 2.0 to 2.5 range. Most of the stuff I’ve seen advertised for use in canvas coating seems to come with pretty small nozzle sizes, like 1.4 to 1.6 or so. This allows for a nice wet but not runny coating that may or may not need a light second coating for finish not coverage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up