Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mounting watercolor paper  (Read 1580 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Mounting watercolor paper
« on: October 16, 2015, 12:27:20 pm »

I have been told it is ok to use archival double sided tape to adhere a print to the substrate such as foamcore. Anyone using this method?

hugowolf

Re: Mounting watercolor paper
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 11:35:33 pm »

I have been told it is ok to use archival double sided tape to adhere a print to the substrate such as foamcore. Anyone using this method?

I wouldn't recommend it. Something like 3M/Scotch 368 Positionable Mounting Adhesive would be much better if you don't have a mounting press.

Brian A

framah

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 06:35:35 pm »

There is no such thing as "archival" double sided tape!!!    What idiot told you that???! >:(

That is one of the WORST things you can do to  ANY work of art!

The 3M PMA isn't "archival" either.

The ONLY adhesive that is archival is rice paste or wheat paste and Mulberry paper hinges. Archival means that the method you use has to be completly reversable, leaving no chemical residue on  the paper. 

So, to answer your question, no.

Seriously, if you want to be "archival" in your mounting process, do it right.

Otherwise, you can use any chemically invasive method you'd like. 

Ok... rant over. ::)

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Mike Sellers

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 09:11:46 pm »

ok but how do I do it right?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 04:58:51 am »

There is a proper "hanging tape". Expensive but you don't need much.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

ddolde

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 01:59:51 pm »

Get a cheap used Seal press and dry mount it with tissue. Easy to do. I like Colormount but other tissues would probably work fine.

Mike Sellers

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 01:54:29 pm »

Doug,
Good idea. Are there any overlam tissues available as I would like to get away from spraying.
Mike

framah

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 02:46:46 pm »

So, Mike..

You decided to not bother with archival mounting.

If so, then you can go ahead and use the PMA but only up to a certain size of the piece. 20x24 is the largest that 3M recommends. Larger than that and it wants to release due to shear action of the paper expanding and contracting.
If you are going to dry mount then that works better as once it is cooled, it is permanent.

Agree with you... spray su*ks.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

ddolde

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 07:57:51 pm »

Doug,
Good idea. Are there any overlam tissues available as I would like to get away from spraying.
Mike
If you are printing on matte paper or canvas, I suggest using Breathing Color's Timeless Matte varnish. Easy to apply with a foam roller. 

hugowolf

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 08:45:22 pm »

If so, then you can go ahead and use the PMA ...

If you are going to dry mount then that works better as once it is cooled, it is permanent.

Hmm, PMA is a form of dry mounting.

Brian A

huguito

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 07:57:01 pm »

Could anyone explain the steps or point me to where I could learn the steps of preparing the rice paste and mullberry paper hinges for an archival mounting?
Is there such a thing as mullberry paper hinges and rice paste that can be purchase so I don't have to learn it?
If so, where?

Hugo

davidh202

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 09:16:37 pm »

it will work on fine art papers as long as you leave enough of a empty border on the top edge you intend to hinge, as it involves a bit of moisture to adhere and can bleed through to the image unless done very carefully and properly blotted.

https://www.nedcc.org/free-resources/preservation-leaflets/7.-conservation-procedures/7.4-how-to-do-your-own-matting-and-hinging

hugowolf

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 10:56:55 am »

Lineco has a Museum Mounting Kit, which is widely available from online framing supply stores and also from photo outlets like B&H

http://www.lineco.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=1250&primary=1&parentId=&navTree[]=1257&navTree[]=2085&navTree[]=1250

It used to include rice starch and medium weight mulberry paper, but has recently gone to wheat starch and a heavier weight mulberry paper. It includes instructions.

The problem with using rice or wheat starch is the time involved, not just the preparation of the paste (it has to sit after mixing for 15-20 minutes, be 'cooked' for 30 minutes, cooled, strained, diluted), but the time under weights while the paste dries.

For smaller pieces, say up to 11" x 14", methyl cellulose works well and takes much less of your time to make. It needs to sit for longer, but can do that without any assistance from you.

Methyl cellulose is available from most pharmacies (it is also used as a laxative) but is often cut with other ingredients and is better bought from a supplier of preservation supplies:

http://www.gaylord.com/Preservation/Book-%26-Pamphlet-Preservation/Repair-Tools-%26-Supplies/Adhesive/Methyl-Cellulose/p/MC1A

Brian A 

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up