Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cold vs Heated Lamination on Gloss Paper?  (Read 550 times)

disneytoy

Cold vs Heated Lamination on Gloss Paper?
« on: October 15, 2015, 06:14:19 pm »

We have a process that requires a gloss lamination over an Epson Premium Gloss paper.

We are going to move production back inhouse. Our current company that mounts and laminates uses a drytac lamination through a heated laminator.

We have a "cold" laminator.

What are the differences between a print that is cold laminated or heat laminated? These are large pieces that go in to Public spaces.  Is the adhesive substantially different?

Thanks

Max

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Cold vs Heated Lamination on Gloss Paper?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 06:54:08 pm »

The heat can be turned on or off and most likely they turn it off for glossy papers, they do not like heat.
The only time I use my heat is when laminating canvas with Seals Print Guard UV Luster a low temp heat film.
Just about anything available for laminating gloss papers will be done with a cold machine just like yours.

disneytoy

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 08:38:48 pm »

Thanks Dan!

Excellent information!

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 04:01:34 am »

Just make sure that your work space, and materials aren't too cold. Below around 15C, there is a risk of silvering, and below 5C, the materials get kind of brittle, and misbehave. Don't try it below zero Celsius (we have, a couple of winters ago, when the heating packed in),  it all goes wrong...
68F and above seems to be the sweet zone for lamination with drytac materials.

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 04:25:22 am »

I used to hot laminate Epson Premium Photo Gloss paper when I was doing commercial printing some 10 years ago, with no ill effects providing the inks had cured properly and the temperature was correctly set - the paper is in the nip of the rollers for such a short period that the heat doesn't adversely affect it. I still have a few images on the wall here, printed on Epson PGPP(250), hot laminated and mounted on Foamalux board, and they're still absolutely fine after that time.

The major difference between cold and hot laminating films is that the latter are (or were) usually considerably cheaper - I'm not aware of any significant differences in the performance or longevity otherwise.

Even with cold-laminating films, some degree of heat-assist, i.e. a low temperature setting on the top roller, is always recommended and helpful in getting good adhesion and avoiding potential silvering.

I have to say, though, that I was very happy when I was able to give up laminating entirely - it was always a necessary evil, and one part of the process that I never enjoyed.

Regards,

Malcolm

Pages: [1]   Go Up