Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imageprint & Lightroom  (Read 8095 times)

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
Imageprint & Lightroom
« on: March 30, 2006, 12:38:36 pm »

I'm now getting to the point where I've collected a number of photos that I'm ready to print and have read the review of Imageprint and I'm convinced to purchase but will Lightroom have the same or similar functionality?  

I'm definately going to give LR a whirl when its available on Windows (or contemplating going to Mac later this year after reviewing my neeeds).

I don't want to spend the $$ on Imageprint if LR will do the same or will IP complement LR?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kelly

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Imageprint & Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 02:18:32 pm »

There are nothing alike. One's a Browser/RAW converter. The other is a "Print Environment" (what some call a RIP although it doesn't technically have to RIP anything).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
Imageprint & Lightroom
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 04:25:07 pm »

I agree... but LR would be a failure in the overall digital workflow if it doesn't handle the print environment.

Kelly

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Imageprint & Lightroom
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 04:29:09 pm »

You can print from LR but it doesn't present the same tools. And you're "stuck" using the OEM print driver. IP totally replaces the OEM print driver. Most Epson users are working with it so they have a different dither, ink deliery, ability to print B&W without yellow ink etc.

If you don't care about that and are only looking at IP for building templates, and such, it's possible these features will show up in LR. But LR is primary a RAW converter with tools for ingestion and such; IP has no such capabilities (it can't do a thing with a RAW file). Really apples and oranges.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

michael

Imageprint & Lightroom
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 05:37:50 pm »

Further to Andrew's comments...

Lightroom has probably the finest page layout capabilties of any multi-function imaging app, but it isn't a RIP. It still uses the operating system and the printer's driver.

Michael

photographist

• Dancing with Light Photography
Imageprint & Lightroom
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 10:47:25 am »

I'm using the workflow:

Lightroom B3 --> Photoshop CS2 --> ImagePrint 6.5 --> Epson 2200

It works quite well.  However, if using TIFs you may need change to TIF output options from Photoshop, otherwise ImagePrint will have some issues opening the file.    

I also 2nd the comments of Michael and others that ImagePrint is a very different area of your workflow.  When I moved from using QIMAGE (a great and very inexpensive product on it's own), to IP, I was able to spend less time tweaking my prints and focusing on the core images.

IP's profiles and their RIP make all the difference in the world and it was very much worth the money spent.   (FYI: I use the Lite version with the 2200).

Good luck and happy printing!

Jeffrey

bjanes

Imageprint & Lightroom
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 09:41:01 am »

Lightroom has probably the finest page layout capabilties of any multi-function imaging app, but it isn't a RIP. It still uses the operating system and the printer's driver.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61397\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Michael,

Personally, I think that a decent printer manufacturer should supply a driver capable of producing good results from RGB files, and one should not need to buy an expensive RIP unless he/she needs Postscript or other specialized capabilities.

It seems as if everyone agrees that the Epson drivers are suboptimal. Are the Canon drivers on the new model you just tested any better?

Bill

ShakerCats

Imageprint & Lightroom
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 04:15:07 pm »

I'm using the workflow:

Lightroom B3 --> Photoshop CS2 --> ImagePrint 6.5 --> Epson 2200

How exactly are you doing that?  I have just barely started looking at the Windows beta of LR and I'm confused about how to go to ImagePrint efficiently.  Do I export to CS2 from LR with adjustments (but apparently without layers or alpha channels) and save that flattened image out of CS2 for printing?  

My normal workflow has been to edit in CS2, save, and print through ImagePrint on an Epson 7800.  It is looking to me like if I use LR I will have to save a separate "for printing" version of each image out of CS2.  This all sounds very Rube Goldberg and I'm sure I'm missing something very elementary here.

Thanks for any help.

Bob Pearson

Imageprint & Lightroom
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 01:18:42 pm »

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61397\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is alleged that Lightroom is written to readily allow plugins - what more obvious plugin is there than an Imageprint print module.  I've just tried the windows version of Lightroom and for it to be the workflow hub it seems essential to me that it seemless can invoke Photoshop and automatically add the resultant modified file back to its database.  Otherwise it will take no more part of the workflow than bridge.  Currently I go Bridge>PS>IP.
Pages: [1]   Go Up