Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony RX1R - 42 mp - Anyone used it?  (Read 2602 times)

deanwork

Sony RX1R - 42 mp - Anyone used it?
« on: October 15, 2015, 11:07:27 am »

Wondering if the lens does justice to this sensor for that kind of money?

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gadgets/sonys-rx1r-ii-camera-small-mighty-mighty-expensive-n444731

MarkL

Re: Sony RX1R - 42 mp - Anyone used it?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 11:56:31 am »

Fixed lens and no ibis for the same price as an a7rII (which is already 1k more than the camera it replaced) put it firmly in the 'luxury item' category.

deanwork

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 12:03:47 pm »

Yea, for the person who has everything. And there are a lot of them out there apparently.

Fixed lens and no ibis for the same price as an a7rII (which is already 1k more than the camera it replaced) put it firmly in the 'luxury item' category.

scooby70

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 12:13:31 pm »

Yea, for the person who has everything. And there are a lot of them out there apparently.

You seem a bit...??? If the camera isn't for you and it plainly isn't then why not just be happy that there's a choice available for those looking for exactly this camera?

And to the previous poster, the A7rII has quite a few changes over the previous model so it's up to potential buyers to decide if it's worth it and many will think that it is. The RX1R may be the same price but it comes with a very nice lens so it's a bit of a bargain really, isn't it?

AFairley

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 12:41:36 pm »

You seem a bit...??? If the camera isn't for you and it plainly isn't then why not just be happy that there's a choice available for those looking for exactly this camera?

And to the previous poster, the A7rII has quite a few changes over the previous model so it's up to potential buyers to decide if it's worth it and many will think that it is. The RX1R may be the same price but it comes with a very nice lens so it's a bit of a bargain really, isn't it?

You're giving up IBIS and interchangeable lenses for smaller size (and $600 or so less (for a 1 stop faster 35mm)).  I can see people opting for that choice . . . The only thing giving me pause is that I wouldn't be able to occasionally use a 28mm the way I can now.

ddolde

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 12:46:41 pm »

How are you going to get tack sharp images up to the sensor's potential using this thing handheld?  IMO it's only going to provide that mounted on a tripod.

AlterEgo

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 12:53:40 pm »

How are you going to get tack sharp images up to the sensor's potential using this thing handheld?  IMO it's only going to provide that mounted on a tripod.

no mirror shock, no shutter shock - it has P&S-type of shutter where lens aperture blades are the shutter too...

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 01:13:59 pm »

no mirror shock, no shutter shock - it has P&S-type of shutter where lens aperture blades are the shutter too...

A leaf shutter with 1/2000 flash sync speed. That's faster than all medium format cameras available today.
Instagram (updated often)

MarkL

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 01:18:52 pm »

With my D800E I was surprised how small the difference between a good 3-series tripod and keeping the shutter at 1/twice the FL and that has a normal shutter and mirror, my leaf shutter X100 can go down to very low speeds and retain critical sharpness.

MatthewCromer

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 01:57:11 pm »

I've used lots of compact Sony cameras this size that didn't have stabilization. With good technique you can get amazingly sharp images as there is no mirror / shutter movement (leaf shutters don't cause any momentum deltas that have to be absorbed).

Mjollnir

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 03:32:13 pm »

You're giving up IBIS and interchangeable lenses for smaller size (and $600 or so less (for a 1 stop faster 35mm)).  I can see people opting for that choice . . . The only thing giving me pause is that I wouldn't be able to occasionally use a 28mm the way I can now.

Well, if you can accept 26mm, pause no more!

http://bmupix.com/reviews/2013/7/16/shooting-wide-the-sony-rx1-at-26mm

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 03:41:44 pm »

I think it's cool.
No, not great value maybe, but a lot of possibilities given the sensor quality and small size.

Pages: [1]   Go Up