Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma 24-35 vs 24 Art plus 35 Art  (Read 3014 times)

shadowblade

Sigma 24-35 vs 24 Art plus 35 Art
« on: October 14, 2015, 12:54:06 am »

Does anyone who has these lenses know how the new zoom compares against the two primes?

As a landscape photographer, f/1.4 is almost irrelevant, and f/2 only rarely used, so the most important comparison is sharpness and aberrations in the f/4-f/8 range (although the values at f/2 are also nice to know).

The 35 Art is an excellent lens, but the 24mm is probably the weak link in the Art lens lineup.

If you don't need f/1.4, would the 24-35 be a viable replacement for both these lenses, and is there any loss in IQ at typical landscape apertures going from the primes to the zoom? What about for night landscapes at f/2-f/2.8 (coma aberrations come into play here, since you're almost invariably trying to capture pinpoint stars here).

synn

• My fine art portfolio
Re: Sigma 24-35 vs 24 Art plus 35 Art
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 04:23:56 am »

I believe Digitalrev and TCS did reviews of the zoom and said it is comparable to primes.
Question is, would you prefer one ginormous zoom always on camera or two smaller primes in the bag?
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 05:22:25 am »

As a landscape photographer, f/1.4 is almost irrelevant, and f/2 only rarely used, so the most important comparison is sharpness and aberrations in the f/4-f/8 range (although the values at f/2 are also nice to know).

I would like it if there were some F4 prime lenses available that are really made for getting the best quality @ F5.6-11.
They could be lighter, smaller, less expensive, more flare resistant and optically better; corner tot corner sharp.
Apparently the market for these lenses is too small...

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

shadowblade

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 06:13:58 am »

I believe Digitalrev and TCS did reviews of the zoom and said it is comparable to primes.
Question is, would you prefer one ginormous zoom always on camera or two smaller primes in the bag?

My gear spends most of its time in the bag, not attached to the camera, anyway, coming out only once I've reached a shooting location. If they're as sharp and aberration-free as each other, then it comes down to which one weighs less and takes up less space in the kit.

MarkL

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 08:01:31 am »

I would like it if there were some F4 prime lenses available that are really made for getting the best quality @ F5.6-11.
They could be lighter, smaller, less expensive, more flare resistant and optically better; corner tot corner sharp.
Apparently the market for these lenses is too small...

I've love a lens line like this but I think you are right, the market is too small. Many people see faster = pro and the current fascination with shooting everything wide open doesn't seem to look like it will end any time soon.

shadowblade

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 08:11:58 am »

I've love a lens line like this but I think you are right, the market is too small. Many people see faster = pro and the current fascination with shooting everything wide open doesn't seem to look like it will end any time soon.

Zeiss lenses don't tend to be exceptionally fast, while Leica's sharpest lenses are their Summicrons, which are also the slowest.

Give me a sharper lens with no aberrations and great microcontrast any day over one that's just super-fast.

Torbjörn Tapani

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 08:31:21 am »

Does anyone who has these lenses know how the new zoom compares against the two primes?

The 35 Art is an excellent lens, but the 24mm is probably the weak link in the Art lens lineup.

If you don't need f/1.4, would the 24-35 be a viable replacement for both these lenses, and is there any loss in IQ at typical landscape apertures going from the primes to the zoom? What about for night landscapes at f/2-f/2.8 (coma aberrations come into play here, since you're almost invariably trying to capture pinpoint stars here).

Lensrentals have measured the MTF. Seems excellent. http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/09/sigma-24-35mm-f2-dg-hsm-art-mtf-curves-and-sample-variation

shadowblade

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 06:24:47 am »

The new 20/1.4 will make things even more interesting, if it's sharp - it could potentially take the place of the 24/1.4 in a lineup. If you don't need f/1.4, do you go with the primes or a zoom?

A new, sharp Art series UWA zoom (say, 12-21mm) would make the choice even more difficult.
Pages: [1]   Go Up