Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Domestic Nudes  (Read 3586 times)

Stanmore

• My Website
Domestic Nudes
« on: October 13, 2015, 05:17:40 pm »

I'd be interested in responses (gut and/or cerebral) to this 8 image set... http://www.simonstanmore.com/Personal/Mini-Series/1 ...the first 8 in this gallery.

It's possibly not appropriate to post any of these images here, even though they are (intentionally) un-erotic/explicit/sensual.

Many thanks
--
Simon

Mjollnir

Re: Domestic Nudes
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 05:26:52 pm »

While they're not 'bad' in any particular way, I'm just not moved by them.

The woman in black that follows them, however, is much more interesting.

Stanmore

• My Website
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 06:23:51 pm »

While they're not 'bad' in any particular way, I'm just not moved by them.

The woman in black that follows them, however, is much more interesting.

Thank you Mjolnir. Not 'bad', I might take as 'good' ... I was not trying to "move" anybody with this little project. The woman in black is my vampire... Does she move you?

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 06:55:37 pm »

I'd be interested in responses (gut and/or cerebral) to this 8 image set... http://www.simonstanmore.com/Personal/Mini-Series/1 ...the first 8 in this gallery.

It's possibly not appropriate to post any of these images here, even though they are (intentionally) un-erotic/explicit/sensual.

Many thanks
--
Simon

I quite liked the idea and thought them well taken and arranged. Were they friends, naturists ...?

Mjollnir

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 07:32:50 pm »

Thank you Mjolnir. Not 'bad', I might take as 'good' ... I was not trying to "move" anybody with this little project. The woman in black is my vampire... Does she move you?

Oh, well let me rephrase that, then.  Those nudes simply don't speak to me.

And the lady in black doesn't move me, I just find the shots interesting.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 03:47:36 am »

The last of the nudes is good - "dance like no one is watching"

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 06:36:17 am »

And here I was expecting something new on Helmut Newton!

;-(

Rob C

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 08:38:31 am »

And here I was expecting something new on Helmut Newton!

;-(

Rob C

Why? Newton was out to shock for much of the time, a device that is hardly credible today. These pictures are not at all in that genre, they are not trying to sell anything (unless there is some subtle product placement) nor are they works of fantasy focusing on a very narrow sector of society, exquisitely formed and classically beautiful young women. They are about life rather than sensuality.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 08:39:53 am »

The problem is the object of the project, "Domestic Nudes", it isn't something that the vast majority of the present photography community would care about. It just seems to be like an Art School project. It's dated, I just couldn't get too far into the images without being drawn back into the seventies photography. Sorry…

Cheers,
Tom Brown

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 12:39:05 pm »

I thought they were a nice set of well taken and processed images.

Then I saw the reference to the 70's and them being dated. I'm not sure. I was around in the 70's and I sort of know what you mean but I think these are a little different in purpose and style. But I could well be wrong.

Not sure about the comment 'being about life...' I have just had a quick scoot round the house, no naked ladies damn it. I'm not sure they are about life, not mine anyway.

And then you arrive at the almost inevitable question - why have they got no clothes on? And this is the question I always ask of fine art nudes in warehouses, forests etc. Why the blazes has the poor girl got no clothes on? When you look at Michael Ezra's nudes then I get it, it's using the body as a form, exposing musculature and totally beyond life or reality.

Still I thought this set was interesting.

Mike

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 01:59:05 pm »

I thought they were a nice set of well taken and processed images.

Then I saw the reference to the 70's and them being dated. I'm not sure. I was around in the 70's and I sort of know what you mean but I think these are a little different in purpose and style. But I could well be wrong.

Not sure about the comment 'being about life...' I have just had a quick scoot round the house, no naked ladies damn it. I'm not sure they are about life, not mine anyway.

And then you arrive at the almost inevitable question - why have they got no clothes on? And this is the question I always ask of fine art nudes in warehouses, forests etc. Why the blazes has the poor girl got no clothes on? When you look at Michael Ezra's nudes then I get it, it's using the body as a form, exposing musculature and totally beyond life or reality.

Still I thought this set was interesting.

Mike

Being naked means that we cannot hide the faults and blemishes upon our bodies and, as we all know, these tend to multiply with age. No small part of our inner reasoning is dedicated to learning to accept or cope with the process. It is this which I referred to when I mentioned life, the inescapable growth and decay of the human form that we see here.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:04:15 pm by Justinr »

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 02:35:38 pm »

I can see the point you make. I am not sure I can apply it to this set though. I'll look and think :) which is usually a good thing.

Stanmore

• My Website
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 03:02:21 pm »

I quite liked the idea and thought them well taken and arranged. Were they friends, naturists ...?

Thank you. They're all amateur / occasional models... an optometrist, a retired social worker, a personal trainer, a waitress, etc.

Stanmore

• My Website
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 03:03:45 pm »

Thank you all. It's genuinely interesting to read everyone's thoughts on this.

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 03:45:32 pm »

I like the first five because of the "contemplation" feeling they give.
The last three, though, seems to me to be "style inconsistent".
When I grow up I want to be a photographer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diegopig/

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 04:28:30 pm »

Why?Newton was out to shock for much of the time, a device that is hardly credible today. These pictures are not at all in that genre, they are not trying to sell anything (unless there is some subtle product placement) nor are they works of fantasy focusing on a very narrow sector of society, exquisitely formed and classically beautiful young women. They are about life rather than sensuality.

Why? because if anyone knew anything about Newton they would have known that Domestic Nudes was one of his major projects. Oy friggin' vey!

Rob C

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 04:48:11 pm »

I tend to think sensuality is part of life... and that's probably why I like the first and last, they contain the most warmth... and life..., to my eyes.

Stanmore

• My Website
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 02:14:29 pm »

I like the first five because of the "contemplation" feeling they give.
The last three, though, seems to me to be "style inconsistent".

Thank you Diego. You've hit on something that concerned me too... I'm in agreement with you here.

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 03:10:09 pm »

Came across this one made with my Sumo Minor book:

;-)

Rob C

Great perspex stand.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 03:12:02 pm by Rob C »
Pages: [1]   Go Up