Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Import speed test of various programmes - Spoiler LR is embarrassingly slow.  (Read 11081 times)

john beardsworth

• My photography site

Now that would be useful.

Save the actions as droplets. You can then add the droplet as an external editor in Lightroom or in the Export dialog's post processing step. See this post.

ButchM

Pretty sure all the bolded is also in ACR/Bridge. Maybe you haven't delved deeply enough. ;)

Sure ... except for one glaring exclusion on your part ... Bridge can only see and reference the images that are actively accessible. In the Lightroom Library, once images have been imported, I can edit/add metadata, keywording, labels and ratings even though the images may be offline. THAT is where the database comes into play and a shortcoming of Bridge in this respect.

Once again, neither option is superior to the other. It is purely a matter of subjective personal preference.

I don't think Bridge is valueless. I think it is an awesome digital asset browser ... for my tastes, it doesn't even come close to matching the workflow efficiency if have refined over the years.

You also bolded Export presets ... When did Bridge get an FTP plugin where you can send files directly from the app to the client server without first exporting a derivative file and then invoking an FTP client app or browser? Likewise, when did bridge get a Blog/Wordpress plugin that allows you to send images directly to an online blog database  ... again without first generating a jpeg derivative file that must be uploaded using yet another application.

It's these little nuances that keep me in the Lr fold, otherwise, I'd have left Adobe's solutions long ago.

ButchM

Save the actions as droplets. You can then add the droplet as an external editor in Lightroom or in the Export dialog's post processing step. See this post.

Agreed, I use droplets invoked by Lightroom nearly every day/work session for some clients.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com

Bleh! I recall seeing a Julianne Kost video many years back explaining how to use droplets with LR, it took 20 mins to explain what takes me a few seconds to do in Br and about two minutes for me to explain to someone else. Droplets always seemed like a faffy way of doing something very simple. A kludgy workaround and I hate workarounds.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

I used Bridge/ ACR for about 7 years but I now prefer Lightroom for photo import,organising, processing, export & printing ( esp printing ). I just wish it's performance was better. & yes I know you can reorganise the Bridge interface - I'm not a total idiot.
In my experience, it never occurs to most people.
Just like most people use LR in its default setup.

ButchM

Bleh! I recall seeing a Julianne Kost video many years back explaining how to use droplets with LR, it took 20 mins to explain what takes me a few seconds to do in Br and about two minutes for me to explain to someone else. Droplets always seemed like a faffy way of doing something very simple. A kludgy workaround and I hate workarounds.

Wow ... So factually incorrect I don't know where to start ...  if you have the Action already to your liking (you must if you utilize same in via Bridge) ... it takes only mere few seconds to save it as a Droplet then add it to an Export preset in Lightroom.

jjj

There, fixed that for you  ;).   
Nope, you didn't as Lightroom has a vastly better interface and workflow than anything else I've used to do such work. And that's despite Capture One's ability to let you rejig panel layout which should give it a big edge.
It was transformative in improving ease of the modern digital workflow.
Could it be improved? Certainly. Never used any software that couldn't be.

But seeing in your view all of Adobe's programmes are terrible, who do you think does good UIs?
Or how would you improve LR?

jjj

Wow ... So factually incorrect I don't know where to start ...  if you have the Action already to your liking (you must if you utilize same in via Bridge) ... it takes only mere few seconds to save it as a Droplet then add it to an Export preset in Lightroom.
Well go tell Ms Kost she's clueless then.

graeme

Thanks John

I'll try that.

graeme

In my experience, it never occurs to most people.
Just like most people use LR in its default setup.

I spent a bit of time setting up a couple of custom workspaces in Bridge. It was well worth the effort.

ButchM

Well go tell Ms Kost she's clueless then.

Sure ...as soon as you link the tutorial in question that illustrates Droplets are as intricate and complicated as you perceive them to be. I seriously doubt your assertion in this aspect. It's something I use every day.

While it's possible you saw a tutorial by Kost covering the wide array of aspects and options that can be invoked using automation shortcuts for 'Edit in' and Export presets ... I am quite sure utilizing Ps Droplets as part of an Export preset are quite simple to create and set up and result in massive savings in time and effort ... even if they did take 20 minutes.

jjj

They are not that intricate or complicated as such. Pointless and faffy most certainly.
It's just a backwards way of doing things that predates easier solutions. If I want to utilise an action in PS from Bridge it's Tools/PS/Batch and choose the action. And that's it. Job done.
In Lr it should equally simple, Right Click/Edit In and in addition to open as smart object, merge to layers etc 'batch' should be an option. Why would you want to go to the export dialogue to edit an image anyway?
Having to create droplets to duplicate your actions to then do what already can be done much more easily in other ways always struck me a tedious waste of time. A method of working that preceded more advanced organisational tools like Bridge and LR Vs Finder/Explorer.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 09:47:04 am by jjj »

ButchM

They are not that intricate or complicated as such. Pointless and faffy most certainly.
It's just a backwards way of doing things that predates easier solutions. If I want to utilise an action in PS from Bridge it's Tools/PS/Batch and choose the action. And that's it. Job done.
In Lr it should equally simple, Right Click/Edit In and in addition to open as smart object, merge to layers etc 'batch' should be an option. Why would you want to go to the export dialogue to edit an image anyway?
Having to create droplets to duplicate your actions to then do what already can be done much more easily in other ways always struck me a tedious waste of time. A method of working that preceded more advanced organisational tools like Bridge and LR Vs Finder/Explorer.

Ooops ... sorry I doubted you vastly superior experience you have achieved working with Droplets and Lightroom. I will dump Lr immediately and adopt your Bridge/ACR/Ps as soon as I complete typing this response.  Who wants to be pointless and faff?  ;)

Jimmy D Uptain

Well this thread has prompted me to revisit Bridge.
Personally I have been using Photo Mechanic for sorting and keywording, then importing into LR and after that I'll go into C1 Catalog and sync.
I like having multiple tools as each raw convertor has its strengths and weaknesses.
But the Bridge/ACR method shows promise. I'm gonna study up on it as there are a few things I'm having trouble with. But thats part of the fun.

Ann JS

I know that Bridge could do with a big Update (and hopefully we will see one before too long) but even in it's current state, and particularly because of the excellence of ACR 9.2, it is the one program that is running on my machines 24/365.

Once you dig deeply into Bridge's full capabilities, and re-install the Adobe Output Module (which no longer installs automatically) I think that you may find it as useful (possibly even as essential?) as I do.

I do all my file-management (moving, copying & deleting) from within Bridge so Bridge + Spotlight can always find any file (not only images) instantly. I also find keywording and adding descriptions is very easy and quick to do in Bridge — and I add these to nearly all of my image files.

Just be aware that there seem to be a few incompatibilities when running Bridge on El Capitan or Windows 10.

jjj

I know that Bridge could do with a big Update (and hopefully we will see one before too long) but even in it's current state, and particularly because of the excellence of ACR 9.2, it is the one program that is running on my machines 24/365.
I used to be a beta tester for Bridge [and also PS]. They dropped the Br beta test programme a long time back and basically gave up on developing it.
The irony of the recent debacle being is that those who struggle with import in LR would be at home with Bridge. Just recalled that I suggested this years back, now I've been reminded of it. Br could be a great alternative to LR, that is only if they changed the default UI and made ACR a panel and not a wretched modal dialogue [which is so very early 1990s].

Once you dig deeply into Bridge's full capabilities, and re-install the Adobe Output Module (which no longer installs automatically) I think that you may find it as useful (possibly even as essential?) as I do.
Br/ACR used to be absolutely central to my workflow, but once you dig deeper into LR's more modern way of working you'll find it a big improvement.  :P

I do all my file-management (moving, copying & deleting) from within Bridge so Bridge + Spotlight can always find any file (not only images) instantly. I also find keywording and adding descriptions is very easy and quick to do in Bridge — and I add these to nearly all of my image files.
LR does all that too you know and actually once you grok the different way a database works, you'll find you do a lot less, possibly no moving of files once stuff is imported into LR.
LR can also find stuff far better than the near useless Spotlight, even stuff on hard drives that are not attached to your computer. It is however more limited in file types it accepts into the library.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 06:27:44 pm by jjj »

Ann JS

I HAVE dug very deeply into Lr but unfortunately its ultra-lugubrious slowness and cramped UI make it my tool-of-last-resort and only usable AFTER I have made all edits in ACR and if I want to use one of its special services such as Mobile.

Unfortunately Lr's cataloguing is of little practical value to me because it only handles Image files and my work involves a lot more than photography. (I wear many different hats!)

Modal Panels in ACR don't faze me one iota (because KBSCs deal with them instantly) and I LOVE the uncluttered spacious working space of full-screen in pure ACR.

Horses for Courses perhaps — but I haven't the patience to deal with the snail's-pace crawl of Lr compared to a swift gallop through ACR!

:D

Denis de Gannes

Lightroom for all intents and purposes has always been an alternative to Bridge/ ACR with additional management and sharing options. When Lightroom was introduced in 2007 Adobe made it clear to their Photoshop CS users that the option to use Bridge / ACR  or adopt Lightroom was a choice the user had to make. Both applications share basic core functions which are to manage, develop and share raw files produced by digital cameras.
They can also work with other image files like jpeg and tiff files. Which works best for your workflow is your choice as the user.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

jjj

I HAVE dug very deeply into Lr but unfortunately its ultra-lugubrious slowness and cramped UI
Cramped UI!?! Only if not set up + used correctly  ;)
Mind you every tutorial online demonstrates using LR set up in the default everything visible setup.
I use LR full screen and with two monitors, can't do that with ACR  :P
Definitely sluggish of late though, pity I can't bear using ACR though as it's like going back to the nineties UI wise.

elliot_n

Mouse-dependent?

Only for moving the Sliders or selecting one of my pre-saved Presets from the list (same as in Lr!). I never need to Mouse-around (or Wacom-Stylus around!) for anything else

I select each Tool and change between the different Panels by using KBSCs.

Part of the problem is that I don't think anyone has ever publicized that Cmd Option 1 (through 9) will open each of the Task Panels (Cmd Option 1 opens "Basic");

that Cmd Shift S will save A Snapshot (an Instance) of any current Edit;

and Cmd Option S syncs any (or all) of your pre-selected Settings to the currently first-chosen image in the group;

Thanks for these ACR shortcuts. 'Cmd Option 1-9' is particularly useful.

I'm not sure if I've understood what 'Cmd Option S' is supposed to do. I was expecting it to sync settings from the first selected image to the rest - but instead it saves the selected files.

As for 'moving the sliders', I rarely use the mouse. Instead I tab through the sliders, making adjustments with the up and down arrow keys, adding 'shift' for larger increments. That way I can keep my eyes on the image.

Are there keyboard shortcuts to move through the tabs that exist in some of the panels - e.g. 'Profile' 'Color' and 'Manual' in the 'Lens Corrections' panel?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up