Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: banned  (Read 7419 times)

stamper

Re: banned
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 10:44:29 am »

Would you like to see name callers binned?

Otto Phocus

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 11:30:51 am »

Well, that did not take long.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2015, 11:33:20 am »

You do realise Facebook is for engaging with people you do know and privacy can be set so that no-one else sees anything.
Yes you can see or interact with other people on public pages like the LuLa FB page, but you do not have to engage. FB is an excellent tool I find for keeping in touch with friends and family I have all over the world or indeed friends I have that are scattered across the UK and I don't have to put up with morons posting their [usually anonymous] brainless/bigoted crap like you do on forums at times.

Yes, I do appreciate that, as both my kids and grandkids are on the service, but my resistance to involvement's too strong. I have been through several lengthy withdrawals from LuLa, as it is, and getting back on proves to be ever more a mixed blessing. I hardly need more distractions in my life.

It isn't that I find it difficult to handle as much as it is something that consumes a lot of my time. For example: during my last sabbatical, not only did I manage to shoot a lot of pictures, I found time and energy to put two books onto disc. That they will probably always bring me politely written rejection slips doesn't matter - I didn't do it for any hoped-for money, I did it for the interest in getting two distinct themes down into the most compact and concise form possible whilst at the same time allowing me the pleasure of doing a little research and writing, discovering details about things of which my actual knowledge had been very superficial. In other words, doing it became a pleasant learning experience.

'Social media' so reminds me of addiction. People, even today, rush out from their dining table to have a quick puff and cellphone consultation between courses. A couple of days ago my daughter and I were having lunch, and at the next table sat five girls around twenty years of age. At one stage, only two were left in seated conversation, the others standing in a group outside the door doing whatever one does with a cellphone. Apart from being rude, especially to the two girls left seated, it all smacked of such a pathetic fear of being left out of something... terribly sad, really, and symptomatic of why I resist! Life had always been liveable pre-social media and it still very much is; you just have to ask whether it's relevant to your own life.

My wife was very good at maths and the sciences; she never sent an e-mail. I used to try to coax her but she simply asked the killer question: why? She then went on to say that two seconds into a telephone conversation she would know from the voice whether all was truly well with the family or not. Written words mean whatever the sender choses them to mean, and whatever the reader cares to interpret them to mean. A known voice never fails to tell the truth, whatever it may be saying.

Also, from my own perspective on web communications, it becomes a bit discourging to write about something and receive a reply one short sentence long. The inevitable question one asks oneself becomes: what's the bloody point? It may be heaven for the one-minute mind, but hell on Earth for anyone genuinely seeking stimulating conversation. Perhaps the two are in irrevocable conflict.

Rob C
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 05:02:49 pm by Rob C »

stamper

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 12:45:03 pm »

I was waiting for the usual idiotic comment like that. Unsurprisingly from an actual anonymous muppet.
I'm not anonymous. jjj is a contraction of a real world nickname and my profile links to my site with my name and contact details.
I'd used it for so long before real names started being used on here, I saw no point in changing it. Particularly as there are numerous others with the same name as myself.
My name isn't that common I find, but nearly everyone I've met with the same name in real life is also a photographer oddly enough [I don't mean hobbyist] and it seems to frequently appear in numerous photography forums but not other places. Weird.  :o

What is your real name? You don't want to remain anonymous......do you? ;)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2015, 01:14:45 pm »

Like John, I would love to see anonymous people binned from places like LuLa. They are the ones who tend to be the most disruptive and contribute the least.

So attack the problem, not a spurious manifestation of it: ban the people who are "the most disruptive and contribute the least".

Jeremy

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2015, 01:17:28 pm »

I think that LuLa has it about right. Anti-humanitarian? Does anyone actually speak like that in the real world? I thought it the province of the politician and banner-waving street nutter.

I agree.

No, of course nobody does.

It is, Rob. They can wave metaphorical banners online as well as real ones in the real world.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2015, 05:19:49 pm »

Is LuLa much more than a form of social media - or perhaps as Rob recently said a cat chat show?

What it needs, Keith, as in life itself, is female input.

A bunch of guys left to their own devices, as seems to happen here, inevitably turn pretty much everything into a pissing contest, as dumb as that may be. For an actual example: I remember at around the age of thirteen or so, standing at the scholastic Duchamp, peeing up into the air beside another, shorter kid doing the same. The traditional winner was the one to hit the higher tiles. Nobody seemed to understand that it all depended upon the height from which the little stream began...
Not a lot changes, it seems.

I'm not suggesting female participation at this level, as I hope everyone understands (but you never can tell), however I do wish more ladies would think of taking part in 'conversations', not only to make the place less likely to erupt into stupid fights, but to add much needed variety of opinion. But, we seem to have discouraged all too successfully the ones who have tried...

;-(

Rob C

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2015, 05:27:41 pm »

What is your real name? You don't want to remain anonymous......do you? ;)
It's a click away.
And a couple of posts above too.  ;)
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 05:29:34 pm »

So attack the problem, not a spurious manifestation of it: ban the people who are "the most disruptive and contribute the least".
Why not eliminate some of the problem early on.

jjj

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 05:30:13 pm »

Yes, I do appreciate that, as both my kids and grandkids are on the service, but my resistance to involvement's too strong. I have been through several lengthy withdrawals from LuLa, as it is, and getting back on proves to be ever more a mixed blessing. I hardly need more distractions in my life.

It isn't that I find it difficult to handle as much as it is something that consumes a lot of my time. For example: during my last sabbatical, not only did I manage to shoot a lot of pictures, I found time and energy to put two books onto disc. That they will probably always bring me politely written rejection slips doesn't matter - I didn't do it for any hoped-for money, I did it for the interest in getting two distinct themes down into the most compact and concise form possible whilst at the same time allowing me the pleasure of doing a little research and writing, discovering details about things of which my actual knowledge had been very superficial. In other words, doing it became a pleasant learning experience.

'Social media' so reminds me of addiction. People, even today, rush out from their dining table to have a quick puff and cellphone consultation between courses. A couple of days ago my daughter and I were having lunch, and at the next table sat five girls around twenty years of age. At one stage, only two were left in seated conversation, the others standing in a group outside the door doing whatever one does with a cellphone. Apart from being rude, especially to the two girls left seated, it all smacked of such a pathetic fear of being left out of something... terribly sad, really, and symptomatic of why I resist! Life had always been liveable pre-social media and it still very much is; you just have to ask whether it's relevant to your own life.

My wife was very good at maths and the sciences; she never sent an e-mail. I used to try to coax her but she simply asked the killer question: why? She then went on to say that two seconds into a telephone conversation she would know from the voice whether all was truly well with the family or not. Written words mean whatever the sender choses them to mean, and whatever the reader cares to interpret them to mean. A known voice never fails to tell the truth, whatever it may be saying.

Also, from my own perspective on web communications, it becomes a bit discourging to write about something and receive a reply one short sentence long.
Indeed! ;)

Rob C

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2015, 04:05:55 am »

stamper

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2015, 04:17:05 am »

It's a click away.
And a couple of posts above too.  ;)

Jeremy ..... what?

Rob C

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2015, 06:31:12 am »

But the girls always won the distance competition.

Lucky you to know! My concentration camp didn't permit girls to compete.

;-)

Rob

DennisWilliams

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2015, 01:03:52 pm »

Banned. Yes.

Photo.net  banned me permanently for using the letters "BS"  in response to a member's argument.  I cannot even remember the substance.   Model Mayhem banned me permanently  for being a professional scout...they felt someone legit  telling  people the truth  about their potential as an agency model killed the party vibe.  But they keep my page up and will not let me access it/ remove it.  DPR suspended me for a week  for writing  if I woke up with an urge to cut my junk off I'd surely  have lost my mind. They thought  that was disrespectful to the guys who did not think they had lost theirs. Diversity is not a two way street.

I use profanity generously, deadpan black humor and observational sarcasm  face to face with people all day long.  Comparatively I am bleached white shortbread  on forums. I never wave a Confederate Battle Flag. There is nothing I write online that someone I know has not heard before or would be a bit surprised by.  I have a portfolio online and cannot be anonymous nor my opinions secret from anyone. It is what it is.

If someone does not want to interact with me because I sound like Samuel  Jackson reciting Tarantino dialog  it's OK. I don't want to spend my time in a real life version  of a Hallmark Xmas movie either. it's a win win.

I'll skip posting a nude this time. I'll wait for  a  gross fat people are  beautiful thread.

gbdz

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2015, 02:56:10 pm »

If you get banned, just make another account.
That's what I did after having spent an evening of drinking and typing.
They do not mind, they live on clicks and ads.
No clicks, no ads.

jjj

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2015, 06:04:17 pm »

I'll skip posting a nude this time. I'll wait for  a  gross fat people are  beautiful thread.
They are to some people. I knew someone who didn't fancy a girl "unless she was 5'2" and at least 16 stone" That's 224 pounds/101kg.  ??? Last I heard of him it was that his partner was told to lose weight or probably die. Yikes!
Then there are women who are not fat but are deemed to be 'plus sized' models, because they are not underweight.

NancyP

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2015, 11:36:18 am »

Bear in mind that no one can see your clever body language or intuit from your facial expression that you are being sarcastic. The BBS  / blog open commenting format is a limited form of communication.

I just keep in mind that there's such a thing as an internet way-back machine, that stupid things that one shows or says stick around for a long time thanks to the magic of archival sites. No such thing as privacy on the internet. I am semi-anonymous by habit, having been on a variety of unregulated BBSs and fora for a while. Anonymity isn't too important on a photography forum, no crazed Nikonista will threaten to rape me. (I am not implying that owners of particular camera brands are crazed, but I do assure you that there are some crazed holders of certain social opinions out there). I can see some reason for an  amateur to either be anonymous or to be discreet when discussing equipment and vacation plans etc. I generally think it is a bad idea to put it out there that you have valuables and will not be home for a while.

jjj

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2015, 02:08:59 pm »

I can see some reason for an  amateur to either be anonymous or to be discreet when discussing equipment and vacation plans etc. I generally think it is a bad idea to put it out there that you have valuables and will not be home for a while.
I tend to only mention travel stuff online, after the fact. No big deal then.

hjulenissen

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2015, 03:13:56 pm »

Tragedy. After maybe 15 years I've been summarily, permanently banned from DPReview, for the heinous crime of writing "switch it off, ffs", in a post commenting on their introduction of autoplay ads on the home page.

I'm not exactly devastated.   I gave up hoping for any kind of dialog over there ages ago.  But considering the kind of behaviour that goes on on those forums, I am pretty astonished that a mild bit of very naughty language like "ffs" gets a permanent ban. 

Of course if it were introduced here, it might make the Adobe Lightrrom Q&A forum a bit less irritating to read  ;)
It is annoying, it feels unfair to not be able to defend yourself, and it does make it look like internet sites are not about furthering democracy or knowledge, but rather about generating money by e.g. pleasing some loyal ad-reading community. I was banned from canonrumours for (in my, granted, biased view) making uncontroversial claims about Canon DR. Seems that some vocal members of that community did not like what I had to say and the guy running the forum did not either.

But it is not the end of the world. "Take your business elsewhere" and try to learn from and teach some other community instead.

I don't even know what a "ffs" is. But learning to behave in a civil manner*) is good advice no matter where we go. More so when we are disagreeing and the temperature gets high.

-h
*)Not sure that it can be strictly defined, but most of us have some well-developed gut-feeling, just like we have a feeling for what is "good" photography and what is not. Incidentally, in both cases, our sense of good and bad seems to be at its worst when we are judging our selves :-)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 03:17:32 pm by hjulenissen »

hjulenissen

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2015, 03:31:04 pm »

That seems fair enough. Some of us would happily do without contributions from those who hide their identity (except for good reasons), but we've had discussions on the topic, there's no consensus, and those posters' greater likelihood to misbehave is reflected in how the forum is managed.
I am here to teach and be taught. For this exchange of knowledge I have to share some details about myself. I am not here to make friends.

I tend to think that my statements should stand on their own without appealing to me possibly being a nice guy or a knowledgeable guy. Of course, if I am rude or misbehaving the proper action would be to ban me, no matter if I used my full name or not.

-h
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up