Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 clogging - Theory # 89758  (Read 1332 times)

highway0691

Epson 7900 clogging - Theory # 89758
« on: October 13, 2015, 12:55:31 am »

I've had my fair share of clogs. I'm onto my 2nd 7900 and had 2 heads fail on my first. Strangely I'm having a super run with my printer lately. I start it up, do a nozzle check and it's been fine every time for about the last 3 weeks. Previously I would always have to do some cleaning.  What's different? Well, the lowest ink level of any cart is 40% and that's unusual for anyone printing consistently.

This is what I suspect. Most, if not all my nozzle drop-out problems occur when I have a cart or two below 10%. I believe that in many instances it may be as simple as an air pressure problem. If this is the case - which I'm virtually convinced, you'd think there'd be an easy fix to this. Any thoughts?

Some Guy

Re: Epson 7900 clogging - Theory # 89758
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 11:52:57 am »

Using OEM ink or 3rd party?

SG

bgphoto

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 09:44:26 pm »

I have had that suspicion for quite some time now.

It appears to be the same issue on my 9890. After replacement of one or both ink cartridges the clog problems seem to go away.

Ben

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 10:04:43 am »

This is what I suspect. Most, if not all my nozzle drop-out problems occur when I have a cart or two below 10%. I believe that in many instances it may be as simple as an air pressure problem. If this is the case - which I'm virtually convinced, you'd think there'd be an easy fix to this. Any thoughts?

The easy fix then is leaving 50% ink in the carts. call it an Epson solution. A friend is happy with empty carts of whatever Ultrachrome K3 (+Vivid magenta) printer to fill his 3880 carts, less than 25 ML per cart left is unusual.

Whatever influences the ink flow from the cart is hard to say but the pressurized air should have the same pressure on any cart content and by that the ink flow should be the same IF the ink bag folds decently. There is an anti-backflow valve in the cart to prevent ink flowing back into the cart for whatever reason, IF that valve is not tight enough ink may flow back into the cart when the printer is OFF. I doubt it gets stuck that no or less ink flows when ink is asked and that defect should show in the print itself. There used to be 6 electric valves on the 6 ink channel of the 10600 next to backflow valves in the carts. I still wonder what the x9x0 series has on extras to prevent ink flowing back. I do not think that the inkflow itself while printing is the problem in clogging but air getting into the nozzles when the ink channel is losing some ink somewhere, or the ink channel space becomes bigger than the ink content; expansion of the tubes on temperature etc.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

jmlamont

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 05:13:25 pm »

I have noticed this informally with my 7900. Just at the barely conscious level, but I have said as much to myself on several occasions.

highway0691

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 08:53:46 am »

Having all carts above 40%. Great while it lasts. That means I'll probably have about 5-7 of them below 30% soon. cant wait - clog, clog, clog.

While I'm at it, I've been thinking about the arrogance of Epson lately. I've found them very frustrating. When I tried to buy a new print head they wouldn't sell me one, in fact they made a dealer wait 5 weeks before they could deliver. A Canon print head can be replaced much cheaper, they're available on demand and can be replaced simply without intrusive technical crap. A printer - 5 years old technology without a new improved clog-free printer. Meanwhile Canon, HP have gained much ground and really do deserve to win over people such as myself.

Epson - you're arrogant and I feel you're going to feel the pinch.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 02:37:29 pm »

Interesting theory, and certainly seems logical.  The printer definitely depends on some slight pressurization of the ink bladders.

But I do have conflicting data. 6 of my cartridges are “flashing”  meaning they are nearly empty.   They’ve been that way for a few months since because of some serious personal issues with wifes health I haven’t printed much for a while. But i have turned the printer on to make a print 3 or 4 times in that period, and only once did I have one missing nozzle which I didn’t even bother clearing because it was in the green channel and I was pretty sure it would be noticeable in the print.  Next time I started it up that nozzle had cleared just from making the previous print.
Pages: [1]   Go Up