Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ETTR and saturation settings in ACR?  (Read 3854 times)

earlybird

ETTR and saturation settings in ACR?
« on: October 12, 2015, 08:13:00 am »

Hi,
 I recently started trying ETTR. I like the results with regards to an ability to work with shadows but have a question about expectations of saturation settings when processing the RAW through ACR. It seems as if I need to use more positive saturation adjustment after I have pulled down the exposure setting and lifted the shadows to get the same sense of color that I am used to getting with my previous exposures.

Does this seem like a normal part of ETTR post processing?

Thank you.

stamper

Re: ETTR and saturation settings in ACR?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 09:55:14 am »

ETTR will in general lighten saturation just as underexposing will darken it. I would describe it as normal.

earlybird

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 05:01:17 pm »

Thanks.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 09:19:25 am »

ETTR should not result in reduced saturation. The issue is that most applications don't expect ETTR files and produce undesired results.

For ETTR to work properly, the exposure compensation in the RAW converter must be a simple linear scaling of the raw values before any non-linear processing. This unfortunately, is not the case in ACR/LR, especially if you use process version 2012.

In my limited experience, RAW therapee allows scaling of raw values before demosaicing/processing, but it can be a difficult tool to use.

mlewis

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 07:19:25 am »

I have tried ETTR shots in LR (same processing as ACR).  I took some photos with ETTR applied and identical ones without ETTR.

I adjusted the exposure slider of the ETTR shots to match the exposure of the non ETTR shots.  The images then looked pretty much identical to me (which is what should happen).  The ETTR ones had lower noise but the saturation was no different.

jpegman

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 01:31:50 pm »

Hi,
 I recently started trying ETTR. I like the results with regards to an ability to work with shadows but have a question about expectations of saturation settings when processing the RAW through ACR. It seems as if I need to use more positive saturation adjustment after I have pulled down the exposure setting and lifted the shadows to get the same sense of color that I am used to getting with my previous exposures.

Does this seem like a normal part of ETTR post processing?

Thank you.

You might want to check out this article which will walk you through the exposure and proper development process!

Bob D's Optimum Digital Exposure

Jpegman
Pages: [1]   Go Up