Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tybee Island Lighthouse study  (Read 738 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Tybee Island Lighthouse study
« on: October 11, 2015, 12:57:18 pm »

Eight shots of the lighthouse (sorry for so many!). One of my instructors suggested that I walk around a subject like this and try for different perspective and moods. I wanted to post these to get reactions to such a study in general and, of course to individual photographs. FYI, I know that some of the lines aren't straight, for the most part a deliberate choice, but also due to the use of my 28-300 zoom (I'd be interested where some of you that do this kind of work would employ a PC lens). Some of the PP needs some refinement, I know. My favorites are 5, 8, and 1, in that order. Appreciate any critiques, comments, or suggestions.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Tybee Island Lighthouse study
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 01:00:31 pm »

And the rest...

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 09:12:57 pm »

A fascinating set, David.

I must admit, however, that my very first thought was "What a great sky! Too bad that tall building's blocking part of it!"   :D

Perhaps a boring blue sky would be less distracting (for me) so I could pay more attention to the lighthouse. I do think you have done a good job of presenting all views of it.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

stamper

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 03:54:04 am »

Your instructor's thoughts about walking around a subject were good but I think you have to be more selective about the amount you choose to post. Selection is also important. Eight is too much to show and maybe four would be better? Too much choice is information overload. Three and seven are to my liking.  :)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 10:14:09 am »

Your instructor's thoughts about walking around a subject were good but I think you have to be more selective about the amount you choose to post. Selection is also important. Eight is too much to show and maybe four would be better? Too much choice is information overload. Three and seven are to my liking.  :)
Yes, good point, Robert. I thought about that, but then thanks for confirming it. Important feedback.
A fascinating set, David.
I must admit, however, that my very first thought was "What a great sky! Too bad that tall building's blocking part of it!"   :D
Perhaps a boring blue sky would be less distracting (for me) so I could pay more attention to the lighthouse. I do think you have done a good job of presenting all views of it.
But isn't that what a lighthouse is for, Eric? ;)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 08:24:59 am »

Hi David,

A good series, but I think you can do more with them as many seem "grey" and drab, despite the great sky as pointed out by Eric. Have you tried nailing the Black point (or even overshooting it), then raising the Shadows? Then add more Clarity. This might help to raise the shadowed whites without losing the sky. The danger in this technique is that when overdone, it looks like poorly-executed HDR. It might help restore some of the life in the shadowed midtones and highlights, though.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 08:05:16 pm »

Hi David,

A good series, but I think you can do more with them as many seem "grey" and drab, despite the great sky as pointed out by Eric. Have you tried nailing the Black point (or even overshooting it), then raising the Shadows? Then add more Clarity. This might help to raise the shadowed whites without losing the sky. The danger in this technique is that when overdone, it looks like poorly-executed HDR. It might help restore some of the life in the shadowed midtones and highlights, though.
Thanks for the suggestion, Terry. Not sure what you mean by "nailing the black point" but fyi, all were bracketed to get ETTR without blowing highlights. Not sure if you are addressing a PP or exposure issue or both. I am thinking you would like to see more "snap" in the shots, but curious if I am understanding you properly.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 08:20:24 am »

Think 5,6 are the strongest structurally. I would look at developing/working on the contrast/clarity of the sky area in 5 and 6...so there is a bit more "drama/dynamism in sky"...which are in a way "equal elements" in these frames. I like the sky color tones in sky of the silhouette. I saw that you were shooting f16? I think shooting f9-11 is going to be a bit sharper but perhaps more importantly you can keep ISO down. /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 11:21:49 am »

Thanks for the suggestion, Terry. Not sure what you mean by "nailing the black point" but fyi, all were bracketed to get ETTR without blowing highlights. Not sure if you are addressing a PP or exposure issue or both. I am thinking you would like to see more "snap" in the shots, but curious if I am understanding you properly.

Hi David,
Yes, I think the midtones deserve a bit more snap and that often starts with having a "correct" (for the image) Black point. "Nailing the Black point" is a PP step. In LR, hold Shift while double-clicking on the word "Blacks" in the Develop panel. LR assesses the image and sets the black point accordingly - not always correct, but not a bad place to start, either.

From there, you can open up the shadows which will raise the dull greys in the shadows. Adding Clarity will provide local contrast snap, but not too much as it can start to look artificial. Good luck!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up