Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with Arca Swiss Z1 clamp screw knob  (Read 1790 times)

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
Problems with Arca Swiss Z1 clamp screw knob
« on: October 11, 2015, 05:29:49 am »

Hi all,

I looked around internet without too much luck of someone else having the same trouble as me. I have an Arca Swiss Z1 ballhead and I'm quite happy with its performance, with the exception of a problem I'm having more frequently lately. My ballhead has exactly the clamp knob seen in this picture: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/469077-REG/Arca_Swiss_801103_Monoball_Z1_sp_with.html  . Sometimes, after attaching the camera (basically using RRS L or lens plates), when trying to free the clamp it is imposible. I just destroy my fingers skin trying to free that clamp knob. Lately it is happening to me once or twice each photographic session. The situation is so ridiculous that I'm carrying one of these with me: http://www.leatherman.com/wingman-11.html#start=3 .

I suppose the solution will be to change the clamp, but then again we have the epoxy issue with Arca Swiss clamps (mine was bought in 2011). Did somebody else have the same problem? if so, how did you solve it? If you were able to...

Thanks,

David

jng

Re: Problems with Arca Swiss Z1 clamp screw knob
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 03:12:09 pm »

You might contact Bob Watkins at Precision Cameraworks (http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/index.html) to see if he can help you troubleshoot. If you're in the U.S. or Canada you can also send it to him either to repair or swap it out for a RRS clamp. In my experience Bob is very helpful and does great work for a reasonable price.

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 03:37:47 am »

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply... living in Europe (Spain) not sure if Precision Cameraworks is an option... but I will take a look.

Regards,

David

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 10:45:52 am »

It may be as simple as needing a bit of lubrication, particularly if the head has been exposed to extreme conditions. This could be addressed by one of the manufacturer's representatives by long distance (email or phone diagnosis and instructions).

PS  For tough knobs, particularly in cold weather, coarse sueded leather work/garden gloves work well.

jng

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 11:21:36 am »

Sorry! When I initially responded I didn't notice the web URL in your signature, which would have clued me in to your location.

This could be a lubrication issue but I would definitely check with an Arca rep as Nancy suggests. My squeaking clamp turned out to be a more serious problem than lack of lubrication. My first inclination was to lubricate it but when I inquired about what type of lube to use and where to apply it, I was told that certain types of problems with the tightening mechanism can lead to a total failure of the clamp. So, I'm glad that I got some expert advice as you are trying to do here. Sorry I can't offer anything more definitive to help out.

Also depending on the year of manufacture, your ball head clamp may not have been attached using the strong thread-locking adhesive. This may be worth checking into as well...

Good luck!

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 05:46:00 pm »

Hi NancyP and John,

I will probably try to lubricate the knob... after clean the area... I will also contact Arca Swiss Europe and querying about the topic.

Many thanks for the comments.

Regards,

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up