Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 and El Capitan  (Read 6235 times)

The View

C1 and El Capitan
« on: October 11, 2015, 05:24:46 am »

Have you already upgraded to El Capitan?

Looks like it's a fine-tuning update, but I'd like to make sure. Does C1 run well with El Capitan?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Jimmy D Uptain

Re: C1 and El Capitan
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 09:43:39 am »

Don't do it. :-\
Lots of folks having issues, like crashing upon opening.
I myself can use C1, but Open CL is disabled.
I'm on a 2012 Mac Pro with 7950 card BTW

Manoli

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 09:56:05 am »

Running 8.3.3 on a 16g/250g RAM/SSD mac-mini with no issues.

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 01:44:52 pm »

After being among the first adapters for many years and having issues, I looked for others experiences before installing OS10.11. After a week, I read that others turned off OpenCL in C18.3.3, install new OS and you are good. I did exactly that, connected my 1Ds3 and follow my normal workflow. I will install the next C1 update but am confident for the time being.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 02:08:08 pm »

https://digitaltransitions.com/blog/dt-blog/el-capitan-capture-one-

It is simply never a good idea to adopt a new OS before it and the software you most need, have all been updated at least once.

It's like eating wild mushrooms in the forest without knowing much about mushrooms. Most of the time it will be fine, but if you get a bit sick you only have yourself to blame.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 06:16:28 am »

It's like eating wild mushrooms in the forest without knowing much about mushrooms. Most of the time it will be fine, but if you get a bit sick you only have yourself to blame.

Well there is that "other" experience I have heard about. ;D

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 03:08:41 pm »

Don't do it. :-\
Lots of folks having issues, like crashing upon opening.
I myself can use C1, but Open CL is disabled.
I'm on a 2012 Mac Pro with 7950 card BTW

I also had issues until I was able to disable Open CL. After doing that all seems to run.
Currently using a MacBook Pro Retina (June 2012) system.
Hopefully C1 will release an update soon.

Stu

Frits

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 12:02:53 pm »

I have been using Capture One Pro since some time, but I did not upgrade to the latest V 8 (I am a happy V 7 user).
Now I read that V7 will not get an update for El Capitan. I understand that V7 is no longer supported and I certainly am not after freebies - but an update just for it to work in OS 10.11?
This concerns V7, not a number of greatly outdated versions ago. If someone would tell me with a straight face that such a patch for V7 would mean a HUGE amount of work - OK, but I doubt that very much.
FORCING a $99 upgrade on me to a version I otherwise don't need?
Won't happen...

Frits

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 04:51:41 am »

I have been using Capture One Pro since some time, but I did not upgrade to the latest V 8 (I am a happy V 7 user).
Now I read that V7 will not get an update for El Capitan. I understand that V7 is no longer supported and I certainly am not after freebies - but an update just for it to work in OS 10.11?
This concerns V7, not a number of greatly outdated versions ago. If someone would tell me with a straight face that such a patch for V7 would mean a HUGE amount of work - OK, but I doubt that very much.
Won't happen...

Hi Frits,

Yes, a with a straight face a huge amount of work.

First of all there have been numerous changes on the surface and under the hood from V7 to V8.  'Simply' adding support for El Capitan is not an option in terms of how many man hours we would have to invest.  The OpenCL changes alone from those versions would be a huge head ache to implement in 7 to work with a new OS.  Plus the tethering aspect would open a huge can of worms.

This is not a strange story either.  In any application, if you want support for the latest OS, then that requires the latest shipping version of an application.

Its kind of shooting yourself in the foot too.  Capture One Pro 8 is a huge upgrade from 7..

- Greater performance
- More Local Adjustment tools and more layers
- Color Balance Tool (alone is worth upgrading)
- Film Grain Tool
- Faster Tethered Capture
- Faster everything else!
- New Processing engine with higher quality, lower noise, more detail
- New Clarity method
- Dynamic Locations, Find and Replace Naming, Catalog and Session Templates, More supported cameras and lenses, Batch CA analysis...

The list goes on!

Its a lot for $99 but we can make that even more appealing.

Use UPGRADENOW in the Phaseone store and it is %50 discount.  Hope that helps!

David

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Online-Store/PurchaseDetailsPage.aspx

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Frits

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 07:33:06 am »

Hi Frits,

Yes, a with a straight face a huge amount of work.

First of all there have been numerous changes on the surface and under the hood from V7 to V8.  'Simply' adding support for El Capitan is not an option in terms of how many man hours we would have to invest.  The OpenCL changes alone from those versions would be a huge head ache to implement in 7 to work with a new OS.  Plus the tethering aspect would open a huge can of worms.

This is not a strange story either.  In any application, if you want support for the latest OS, then that requires the latest shipping version of an application.

Its kind of shooting yourself in the foot too.  Capture One Pro 8 is a huge upgrade from 7..

- Greater performance
- More Local Adjustment tools and more layers
- Color Balance Tool (alone is worth upgrading)
- Film Grain Tool
- Faster Tethered Capture
- Faster everything else!
- New Processing engine with higher quality, lower noise, more detail
- New Clarity method
- Dynamic Locations, Find and Replace Naming, Catalog and Session Templates, More supported cameras and lenses, Batch CA analysis...

The list goes on!

Its a lot for $99 but we can make that even more appealing.

David

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Online-Store/PurchaseDetailsPage.aspx
Thank you for your time to respond David, I believe and respect your explanation.
I also appreciate the offer for someone with just a previous version cornered by an OS change. I think I will when I get back home this evening.

Frits
Frits

mediumcool

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 08:58:26 am »

Won't happen...

There is something to be said for keeping an older machine around for older software—I have a 2006 (!) Mac Pro that i am setting up as my eternal 10.6.8 box. It’s probably my favourite OS ever, and retains the ability to run PowerPC software via Rosetta, so it will be running my CS2 suite, among other things.

I run El Capitan on my newer iMac 21.5 because of the upgrade to C1 v8. Worth it for me given the relative paucity of bugs.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Frits

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 05:55:48 pm »

Thank you for your time to respond David, I believe and respect your explanation.
I also appreciate the offer for someone with just a previous version cornered by an OS change. I think I will when I get back home this evening.

Frits
I just did buy the upgrade. The discount in this case makes sense and is appreciated.
Thanks again David,
Frits

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 08:43:37 pm »

There is something to be said for keeping an older machine around for older software—I have a 2006 (!) Mac Pro that i am setting up as my eternal 10.6.8 box. It’s probably my favourite OS ever, and retains the ability to run PowerPC software via Rosetta, so it will be running my CS2 suite, among other things.

I run El Capitan on my newer iMac 21.5 because of the upgrade to C1 v8. Worth it for me given the relative paucity of bugs.
You don't have to keep a dinosaur. Just get VMware and run the 10.6.8 on a window on the new Mac.. You have to instal the server version which will cost you about $20. I have program from 2001 that I still use that way. You may get a performance hit but with old and less bloated software it may not matter.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

John77

• Zenfolio
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 05:47:52 am »

It helped me. Thanks a lot !

James R

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 06:40:16 pm »

I have upgraded to ElCapitain v10.11.1

Loaded C1 and created a session for some images dating back to 2008.  C1 opened the session, attempted to load the 654 images.  At approx. 60 images C1 crashed and has crashed in each subsequent attempt.

Any ideas out there?

• Capture One
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 06:41:45 am »

Yes.  The next release of Capture One will have support for El Capitan.  The current does not!

Expect a release soon.
David Grover

James R

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 09:06:01 pm »

Yes.  The next release of Capture One will have support for El Capitan.  The current does not!

Expect a release soon.

Thanks.  Guess I should have waited to upgrade...

• Capture One
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 02:23:09 pm »

Thanks.  Guess I should have waited to upgrade...

Unless you are extremely brave or don't have to rely on your systems for professional use, I would always wait for the dot release.
David Grover

James R

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 03:18:25 pm »

Unless you are extremely brave or don't have to rely on your systems for professional use, I would always wait for the dot release.

Good advise.  I still have my laptop running Yosemite.  I never update all my computers at once.  However, next time I will start with the laptops.

mediumcool

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2015, 09:31:57 pm »

You don't have to keep a dinosaur.

The dinosaurs died out millennia ago. On the other hand, my Mac Pro runs older software very well indeed under 10.6.8. No virtual messing-about for me.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up