Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can the Hasselblad H4D do High speed Sync with speedlight?  (Read 6584 times)

rollsman44

Can the Hasselblad H4D do High speed Sync with speedlight?
« on: October 09, 2015, 03:36:47 pm »

Will this camera be able to shoot abovr=e 1/88 sec?  Is it possible to do High Speed Sync for this camera and if so HOW?
  Thanks

landscapephoto

Re: Can the Hasselblad H4D do High speed Sync with speedlight?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 04:59:20 pm »

Will this camera be able to shoot abovr=e 1/88 sec?  Is it possible to do High Speed Sync for this camera and if so HOW?

All H cameras sync at all speeds, up to 1/800s.

rollsman44

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 05:58:40 pm »

Yes I know but I am trying to go above that speed.  Ex: 1/1500sec  Thank you

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 01:01:55 am »

Yes I know but I am trying to go above that speed.  Ex: 1/1500sec  Thank you

No, Hasselblad doesn't make a medium format camera that does HSS.  The H lenses are leaf shutters, so there is no focal plane moving a slit over the sensor that HSS blinks multiple times to expose for.  The only way to do a faster sync is with a Phase setup with a LS lens (1/1600th).
t: @PNWMF

landscapephoto

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 03:12:11 am »

Yes I know but I am trying to go above that speed.  Ex: 1/1500sec  Thank you

Why would you want that?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 03:49:38 am »

Why would you want that?
Still not answered.

I'll put it another way.
If there is no ambient light, then the flash speed becomes the shutter speed.
If there is ambient light then you probably run out of it beyond 1/800th anyway. If you want to shoot wide open then use NDs with a fast lens.
So, under what circumstances do you want a shutter beyond 1/800th with a speedlight?
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

landscapephoto

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 04:41:11 am »

Still not answered.

I'll put it another way.
If there is no ambient light, then the flash speed becomes the shutter speed.
If there is ambient light then you probably run out of it beyond 1/800th anyway. If you want to shoot wide open then use NDs with a fast lens.
So, under what circumstances do you want a shutter beyond 1/800th with a speedlight?

And don't forget that we are talking about the H system, which has few fast lenses and slow base iso. I mean: it is possible to run out of shutter speed with the 100mm or 80mm in bright sunlight and a low power flash, but it is not that frequent.

rollsman44

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 07:59:16 am »

Just wanted to shoot outdoors in Bright sunshine with flash for bride and groom. Sometimes I need about 1/1500 sec  Thats the reason for my question.  Thank you

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 08:26:51 am »

As someone said before me, your best (and cheapest) solution is to use a ND filter. Pushing the shutter speed too high is going to cut out all the ambient light, which you might want to keep unless you want to turn full daylight into night!
Instagram (updated often)

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 10:11:11 am »

My thought is - you need more flash power than a speedlight can muster. I'm shooting Credo/H5X, and at ISO 50 1/800 rarely do I find myself overexposed but I'm typically using a profoto acute 600 pack (roughly 6 speedlights at full power) to achieve this. I think you'd need at least 4 speedlights minium to make this possible.

-Doug

landscapephoto

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 10:13:05 am »

Just wanted to shoot outdoors in Bright sunshine with flash for bride and groom. Sometimes I need about 1/1500 sec  Thats the reason for my question.

Your options are:
-get a Phase One camera, Schneider lenses and studio flashes capable to output full power at 1/1600s.
-use a x2 ND filter and double your flash power
-close the aperture by one stop and double your flash power
-use a 24x36 SLR in HSS mode and multiply your flash power by about 12 times (due to the way HSS works, one needs considerably more power)
-get one of the large veil shades from e.g. California Sunbounce and put the subject under it.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 08:15:48 pm »

Just wanted to shoot outdoors in Bright sunshine with flash for bride and groom. Sometimes I need about 1/1500 sec  Thats the reason for my question.  Thank you
OK. A Phase is little benefit. No need throw the baby out with the bath water for one stop.
Find a tree.
Use an ND filter (and a fast lens like the 100mm f2.2 to keep viewfinder brightness up.)
Get a bigger flash like a Ranger / Quadra.
Do highkey shots.
Use a scrim or flag.

If you use HSS then the power goes right down so you lose anyway (and the bridal party may take a fit which is not good for business).
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Ken R

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 06:58:16 am »

Thanks

No. Max Shutter Speed on the Hasselblad H system is 1/800 sec. The Leica S system lenses with the CS shutter offer speeds up to 1/1000 (sync at all speeds as well) and the PhaseOne LS lenses offer up to 1/1600 sec. Those are your choices.

rollsman44

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 02:37:58 pm »

Ok, I appreciate al your help.  I will use My Nikon DSLR for HSS and Not my Hassy.  Thank you all

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 03:42:56 am »

Ok, I appreciate al your help.  I will use My Nikon DSLR for HSS and Not my Hassy.  Thank you all

As long as you are aware of the fact that HSS is not a true replacement for real shutter sync (as you get with leaf shutters) and work around its limitations, this should be fine.

I have managed to get 1/400 sync in certain conditions with the D800 and Pocketwizards. But 1/320 is what you can mostly expect without issues.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 04:37:43 am »

I have managed to get 1/400 sync in certain conditions with the D800 and Pocketwizards. But 1/320 is what you can mostly expect without issues.

I've experienced this as well, with some luck and old flashes (like the Metz 45 CT1) at full power you can slow down the flash duration enough to sync at really high speeds. The best I got reliably enough was 1/500 with the 45 CT-1 and Nikon D7000, above that was really pure luck. Obviously I had to use triggers, because it has a discharge voltage that can fry modern DSLRs, so the wireless lag also plays a role in that.
Instagram (updated often)

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 11:21:45 am »

Prior to my H5X purchase I used to have good luck with a foursquare and HSS. I could shoot up to 1/4000 with great results, but it had to be at 1.4 and it required 4 speedlights on the bracket, usually pretty close and through a small umbrella or no modifier. See 3 of the portraits here http://douglaslevyphotography.com/2012/06/05/heidi-brian-married-york-maine/

Joe Towner

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 03:16:48 pm »

This is why dictating what the end result is matters.  You can either use the flash to freeze a subject, or use the shutter to.  You can do 1/8000th shutter with a light designed to give a constant exposure over the entire duration and thus not need the multi-pulse of HSS.

http://www.priolite-usa.com/hot-sync - does a nice even 1/200th t05

Works at all speeds with Canon/Nikon/Pentax 645z and most likely even the FPS shots from a DF/DF+ body.

Or depending on the amount you want to kill the ambient, shoot at 1/320th and freeze the subject with something like a Profoto/Bron/Einstein due to their faster t1 times

The key thing is you're really pushing the radio to work as expected - the Profoto Air system even has a 'speed' mode for doing the 1/1600th sync - so you're going to have to work out what works for you.
t: @PNWMF

rollsman44

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 04:44:39 pm »

Thank you all. I will use my Nikon for the HSS and Not My Hassy

Go Go

• New York Editorial Photographer
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 10:31:11 am »

As someone above has stated you need to have a flash devise capable of delivering a very short flash (time) duration.

Using a small Profoto pack and head and reflector at low power and a shutter speed of 1/500th or higher I have been able to overpower daylight every time.

Th H camera with the copal shutter has a distinct advantage over the DSLR shutter with its limited flash sinc speed.

Reading this thread is very confusing...

Pages: [1]   Go Up