Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Destruction of star ratings and colour tags  (Read 3959 times)

David Edge

Destruction of star ratings and colour tags
« on: October 09, 2015, 11:53:28 am »

C1P has again wiped out all my star ratings, keywords, locations and colour tags. It's been an ongoing support case for some time, but I don't think they're going to get anywhere any time soon. I'm quite disappointed.

I will revert to Aperture for old stuff and new work will be strictly in sessions so I need something to manage a catalogue. Would Photo Mechanic be the answer? How can I prevent C1P from trashing the metadata though?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Destruction of star ratings and colour tags
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 11:57:02 am »

You weren't able to resolve this by restoring your most recent backup of the catalog?

David Edge

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 04:41:02 pm »

Hi Doug

A restore brings them back all right, but C1P immediately sets about deleting them. Gloom

d.

gnwooding

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 10:51:40 am »

Hi Doug,

I posted the following post about what I experienced with the star rating system on the Phase One forum back in June so I just thought I would include it here for you. I am not sure if this is definitely the problem that you are having but hopefully it will solve your problem. Coincidently I haven't had any further issues with the rating system and meta data since.

After upgrading to 8.3 I experienced the same problem in both catalogues and sessions. This has been a rather large pain since it lost all the star ratings in a session I was working on before the update.

I however have managed to sort out the problem by going into images under preferences and resetting the metadata settings to default. Any new star ratings I now make no longer disappear. The ones in the session that were lost remain lost however. I therefore believe the problem to lie with either "Auto Sync sidecar XMP: Full Sync" or "Prefer Embedded XMP over Embedded IPTC" since changing these to "none" and unticked solved my issue.

Opening up other sessions and catalogues that were not opened between updating to 8.3 and applying the fix seem to be fine.

Hopefully this will allow some people to resume normal editing as I found working without a star rating system pretty difficult.

David Edge

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 09:48:58 am »

Hi GN

Yes, I had that problem back  then and solved it in the same way as you. It was Capture One support who asked me to turn it back on as I am unable to export to a new Catalogue without losing all the metadata. Furthermore, for some reason even after switching xmp back on the catalogue didn't go into self-destruct mode for more than a week.

So yes, I can restore the backup, but that leaves me unable to export from a corrupt catalogue. Will wait to see what support proposes next.

gnwooding

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 02:28:25 pm »

Hi David,

Ok that is extremely strange. I will play around as well and see if I can come up with anything that can either help your support case or potentially find a solution.

terence_patrick

• http://www.terencepatrick.com
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 12:47:54 am »

I also lose my star ratings just about every time there's an update to C1. The only thing that seems to work for me is to trash C1's preferences, reboot, then start editing the images again. I've submitted support cases back when when this happened in v7, but never got a full resolution.

David Edge

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 12:46:25 pm »

I'm told that 8.3.4 cures it... But I just leave XML sync turned off to be safe.

David Edge

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 01:12:13 pm »

FWIW 8.3.4 doesn't cure it!

d.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 01:55:33 pm »

FWIW 8.3.4 doesn't cure it!

d.

Have you still got meta data syncing turned off?

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

David Edge

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 04:45:49 pm »

Hi David

Yes, even with XML sync turned off. I've now given up, reverted to Aperture and am re-doing the last year's work.

Disappointed

d.

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 08:16:52 am »

The problem exists in CO 9, too.

See this thread over on the Phase One forums:

http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=21431&p=100973&sid=dc2ef3cfa33e6ec811113871ca40b00a#p100973

My problem went away by turning off XMP full sync - but that just introduces other problems.

I have a support ticket in.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

David Edge

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 01:32:12 pm »

Thanks Bob

It's understandable (even if very irritating) that it does it if it can't find the xmps.

But in my case, it loses them when I export to a new catalog. Thus I was trapped in C1P with no hope of ever extricating myself and hence the more I used it the more I dug myself in.

d.

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 01:47:55 pm »

The problem exists in CO 9, too.

See this thread over on the Phase One forums:

http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=21431&p=100973&sid=dc2ef3cfa33e6ec811113871ca40b00a#p100973

My problem went away by turning off XMP full sync - but that just introduces other problems.

I have a support ticket in.

I had the same issues like Bob and others and saw his link above and also saw this link on the same site:
Capture One Pro Forum

Followed what others have done by turning off XMP Full Sync. I think this is now a known issue of C1 that even occurs in the latest version 9.

Stu
Pages: [1]   Go Up