Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Choosing a smooth matte paper for Epson 3880  (Read 5097 times)

elliot_n

Choosing a smooth matte paper for Epson 3880
« on: October 09, 2015, 09:07:12 am »

Hi, I normally use two papers with my Epson 3880: Epson Premium Semi Gloss, and Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta.

For an upcoming exhibition I'm interested in using a matte paper for the first time.

These are the qualities I’m looking for:

Surface - As smooth as possible, no texture.
Sharpness - I’m spoiled with the Harman paper. As sharp as possible.
Whiteness - I’d like the paper white to be a close match to the standard matte white emulsion that is used to paint the gallery walls.
Blacks - As black as possible.
Durability - I’m planning on mounting this paper to MDF (full bleed, white painted edges to the MDF), so it needs to survive the mounting process.

Any ideas? Warnings?

(If there’s an Epson paper that fits the bill, I’d happily use that.)

Thanks

Elliot

(Edited title to add the word 'smooth')
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 10:55:19 am by elliot_n »

howardm

Re: Choosing a matte paper for Epson 3880
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 09:25:07 am »

I'd start w/ Epson Hot Press Bright, Canson Rag Photographique 310, Innova IFA39 or BreathingColor Pura Smooth

Coming from your current papers, make sure your 'expectation' regarding max black are founded in reality.

elliot_n

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 09:43:43 am »

Thanks for the tips.

I headed off to the Epson site to order some Hot Press Bright. Surprised at the cost!

£141 for the Epson Hot Press Bright (25 x A2) - compared to £104 for the Harman Baryta (30 x A2), and £35 for the Epson Semi Gloss (25 x A2).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:51:26 am by elliot_n »

howardm

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 09:55:31 am »

I dont think the Epson website is going to be a financial win on any level.  It's always super-expensive list price.

Even though this place is in the US, I'd think you could find something close in the UK

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10645672&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

elliot_n

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 10:04:43 am »

(Wow - big difference in price - Epson vs B&H)

I normally buy my Epson supplies (3880 ink and Semi Gloss paper) from Epson Europe, because on those items they are reasonably priced, and they always arrive with sturdy packaging. I've had bad experiences with papers arriving with dings from other dealers.

But I'll look further afield. I've already found the Innova and Canson you recommended for considerably less (£82 and £113 respectively).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 10:06:23 am by elliot_n »

howardm

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 10:11:07 am »

The package that Epson developed for this series (Signature Worthy) is just terrific.  A sort of built-in double layer w/ something like 5cm protecting each edge.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Epson is simply pricing it to the market.  It's a high-end paper so you get a high-end price. Also, cotton based papers are significantly more $$ than alpha-cellulose.

Do you guys employ gorillas at the Post Office ;)

elliot_n

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 10:17:40 am »

Good to know it's well packaged. I can find it a bit cheaper on other UK sites, but not nearly as cheap as B&H.

I might try all the papers you've recommended in A4, before committing to expensive boxes of A2.

Once I've found a paper that fits the project, cost will not be an issue.

howardm

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 10:20:58 am »

as we always say, get a sample pack from the manufacturers and start printing and see what you like
or 'works best' in the current situation.  We can recommend papers till the sun goes dim but ultimately
you have to road test it and be happy.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 10:41:17 am »

I've done a lot of printing on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth with the 3880 (both color and B/W) and not been disappointed.  I don't know how the price relates to the other papers that you have listed.

Alan

elliot_n

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 10:54:06 am »

Thanks. Another one to check out. Last time I dabbled with matte papers (about 10 years ago) Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth didn't exist. Their regular Photo Rag is definitely too textured for my purposes.

I'll pop down to Silverprint on Monday morning - they have lots of swatches / test-prints to look at.

AFairley

Re: Choosing a smooth matte paper for Epson 3880
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 12:40:37 pm »

Hot Press White contains OBAs (to achieve the cooler color).  I believe the Canson, which I use instead, has no OBAs and it is only slightly warmer than the HPW.  Similar surfaces.

hugowolf

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 01:28:58 pm »

Thanks. Another one to check out. Last time I dabbled with matte papers (about 10 years ago) Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth didn't exist. Their regular Photo Rag is definitely too textured for my purposes.

The Hahnemühle Ultra Smooth isn't much smoother (if at all) than Canson Rag Photographique. You will not find a cotton based paper that comes close to the smoothness of a wood pulp based paper.

Brian A

elliot_n

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 02:32:21 pm »

You will not find a cotton based paper that comes close to the smoothness of a wood pulp based paper.

Confused. All the papers suggested so far seem to be cotton-based. What wood-pulp-based papers should I be looking at?

howardm

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 02:53:56 pm »

There aren't that many but the IFA39 is.........

http://innova.shoppix.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Innova-FibaPrint_Data-Sheet_IFA39.pdf

Since you're in the UK, Permajet Delta Matte 285 might be interesting too.

In all honesty, you really want to get some hands on w/ the papers to determine how smooth is 'smooth enough'.

elliot_n

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 03:14:39 pm »

Thanks. I'll add the Permajet paper to my list.

I hate paper texture. I recently tried the Canson Baryta Photographique that everyone raves about, but I can't live with the texture. I much prefer the smooth surface of Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta (though I wish the paper wouldn't curl).

hugowolf

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 04:02:12 pm »

There aren't that many but the IFA39 is.........

Well there are quite a few if you go down to 230 gsm or lower. You lose some opacity at those weights, and they are all chock full of OBAs.

In all honesty, you really want to get some hands on w/ the papers to determine how smooth is 'smooth enough'.
.. and with ink on them. Even the heaviest textured paper lose some texture when the ink goes down.

Brian A

ddolde

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 04:50:33 pm »

I love Moab Somerset Museum Rag. Brilliant color for a matte paper. Worth a try IMO

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 06:22:45 pm »

For color, I like either Epson Hot Press Natural or Hot Press Bright. HPB does contain OBAs, but it performs well in color permanence testing. For B&W, I prefer Museo Portfolio Rag. All three papers have a fine, smooth surface that virtually disappears.

Rob

howardm

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 07:14:04 pm »

I love Moab Somerset Museum Rag. Brilliant color for a matte paper. Worth a try IMO

+1   I was surprised by how much I liked this paper.  Like a better, heavier VFA paper.
But probably not applicable to this OP since he hates texture so much although this is a great texture.

mshea

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 10:28:02 pm »

I also use Harman Hahnemuhle for most of my work on my 3880, but almost always the 17 X 25 cut sheets because I find the rolls to be a royal pain. For matte, I use Hahnemuhle Ultra Smooth; smooth enough for me and very crisp rendering for a matte, but it does have a slightly warmish tone, so I have a feeling it wouldn't suit your needs.

Merrill
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up