Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Counting ants  (Read 3572 times)

John Camp

Counting ants
« on: March 27, 2006, 11:55:21 am »

I would pluck out an eyeball before I'd walk through the woods with that outfit on a tripod, hung over my shoulder...you're a braver man than I, Michael.

JC

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Counting ants
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 12:26:03 pm »

It made me nervous just reading it. I am paranoid walking with my 5D in the tripod shoe. I see these picture of all these dudes on group shoots trudging through the woods with shoulder-slung cameras and glass and wonder if any of them ever had an accident. I have - and I'm cautious. I no longer take a chance. I admit, stowing the gear is a major PITA, but to risk getting 50 grand hung up on a tree branch takes some major cajones.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

wynpotter

Counting ants
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 12:35:42 pm »

Micheal, there is a silicone modeling compound used in making molds of 3d work of jewelry, "Castalado" or something close. I believe that this material can be used to make the plugs for the connections you spoke about in the article. there are several grades of hardness and this might be a better approach than electrical tape.
The article was an excellent example of "Pavlov's Theory". we're drooling.
Wyndham

Steve Kerman

Counting ants
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 01:03:01 am »

I don't know if it's still available, but when I was in college my dad had an "all risks" rider on his homeowners' insurance that covered my camera equipment.  If I were walking around with a $50,000 backpack, I think I'd need some protection of that sort to keep from going totally neurotic worring about something happening to it.

michael

Counting ants
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 08:20:48 am »

In all the years that I've been doing photography I've only had one serious accident.

I was in the mountains in northern Georgia on a spring morning just after dawn. I stopped to photograph a lovely valley shrouded in mist. It was my first shot of the day, so I open the trunk of the car, and set up the tripod beside me to prepare to hike into the field overloking the valley. I took the camera and lens I wanted (a Rollei 6008 with 180mm lens) out of the bag and put it on the tripod head (a screw type QR system).

Just as I was doing so I realized that I wanted a few extra rolls of film (remember film?), and so reached back into the trunk to stuff some in a pocket of my shooting vest.

As I looked up I saw that the mist was rapidly dissipating, and so quickly grabbed the tripod and slung it over my shoulder.

At this point the Rollei and its attached lens described an arc through the air, landing in the middle of the concrete road, about 15 feet away. I had neglected to tighten the QR plate knob.

The camera survived, but the meter prism and lens were toast. About a $5,000 mistake.

Worst of all, I missed the shot I wanted.  

The next day I ordered lever clamp QR plates for all my tripods and have used nothing else since.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up