Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe Admit New Import Dialogue in 6.2 Is Not A New Feature With Any Value  (Read 6761 times)

nicsut

• nicsut photography

Because if it did have any new value (like dehaze in 6.1, and dehaze on localised adjustment tools in 6.2) it wouldn't have found its way into my perpetual lincenced copy.  Gee thanks Adobe for your broken bug fix.

Thats it for me, upgrading to "LR v7", and taking advantage of the RAW based round-tripping out to DXO Optics Pro.

P.S. WTF 7 captcha types to enter before posting  :o

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com

P.S. WTF 7 captcha types to enter before posting  :o
That sounds odd. Never seen any myself.
A single captcha makes sense for new posters in order to prevent spambot posting. Not 7 though.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

nicsut

• nicsut photography

That sounds odd. Never seen any myself.
A single captcha makes sense for new posters in order to prevent spambot posting. Not 7 though.

Yep 7. See screen capture.

And on the main part of my post.  Apologies, not trying to troll, just really hacked off. When I decided to upgrade to v6 perpetual I fully accepted the fact that I would not get access to new functionality, just bug fixes, new cameras/lens profiles.  And then this comes along - so I end up paying to get less functionality - just great :-(

So indeed (for now - I'll consider coming back in the future if there are signs that the photographer hard core of the LR dev team have wrestled back control of the product direction from the marketeers, becasue it sure seems to me that the marketeers are on top at the moment - where the historical LR dev team even involved in this import dog dinner?) I will now preserve my investment to date in catalogying end edits, but use the DXO features roudtripped into LR, specifically I am interested in:
- Denoise
- Lens sharpness and other deformations
- clearview

And will keep the cataloguing, keywording, develop options (ex dehaze) and printing simplicity (Adobe dont dare try and simplify that in a future release!!) that I still value.

jjj

And on the main part of my post.  Apologies, not trying to troll, just really hacked off.
You are not alone. This  thread about the new import is already the second most unresolved topic on the Adobe forums after only two days. Thens there's this one here on LuLa.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber

As far as asking all those questions in the beginning when you open an account is to make sure you are not a robot or spammer.  You would not believe how often these nasty robots try to get in.  Answer the questions and we know you have been to the site.  Once you do it you are done.  It is one of the reasons we have a clean site without a lot of trolls and such.  You can post without any hassle after that.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

adias

Because if it did have any new value (like dehaze in 6.1, and dehaze on localised adjustment tools in 6.2) it wouldn't have found its way into my perpetual lincenced copy.  Gee thanks Adobe for your broken bug fix.

Interesting observation. The standalone V.6.2 should not have the new Import code. This points to a broken update policy.

Jeff Griffin

" The standalone V.6.2 should not have the new Import code. "

I asked this question on another topic and the explanation was that the new import experience was a change to an existing feature NOT a NEW one and therefore perfectly OK for Adobe to change it !

john beardsworth

• My photography site

" The standalone V.6.2 should not have the new Import code. "

I asked this question on another topic and the explanation was that the new import experience was a change to an existing feature NOT a NEW one and therefore perfectly OK for Adobe to change it !

Just remove that exclamation mark, Jeff. That is why it's in the standalone version - it is indeed because it's only a change to an existing feature and not new functionality.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:33:46 am by john beardsworth »

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net

As far as asking all those questions in the beginning when you open an account is to make sure you are not a robot or spammer.  You would not believe how often these nasty robots try to get in.

Hi Kevin,

I feel your pain. Thanks for your continual efforts to keep the forums clear of that rubbish. On another website I use, well over 100,000 spam accounts were added in one and half months! - http://blog.openhub.net/2015/09/why-do-we-ask-for-your-phone-number/

Damon

nicsut

• nicsut photography

Just remove that exclamation mark, Jeff. That is why it's in the standalone version - it is indeed because it's only a change to an existing feature and not new functionality.

But the "deal" with Adobe was bug fixes and camara/lens profiles.  Not feature changes.  They have broken the deal, easier import is equivalent to easier developing aka dehaze.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Adobe Admit New Import Dialogue in 6.2 Is Not A New Feature With Any Value
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 06:24:34 am »

But the "deal" with Adobe was bug fixes and camara/lens profiles.  Not feature changes.  They have broken the deal, easier import is equivalent to easier developing aka dehaze.

Sure, I explained the legal reason why they can change an existing feature, but you're really arguing over the meaning of the words "feature updates" as used here for example: "Web capabilities, mobile capabilities related to sync and feature updates are available only when you get Lightroom as part of the Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan." You can certainly interpret it to mean updates to existing features, but that's twisting it.

jjj

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 06:30:24 am »

I'm sure someone could argue that dehaze was a tweak to existing aspects of the develop module as much as the new import dialogue is a tweak. Which does actually have new features as now it constantly scans your computer for new shots - which apparently is a cause of computer/LR slowdowns for some people.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 06:35:37 am »

So a new background process is actually a new feature? Not really.

jjj

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 06:48:45 am »

Just because something isn't foreground has no bearing on whether it is a new feature or not.
Doing something different from before, that is the important thing.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 07:04:33 am »

Just because something isn't foreground has no bearing on whether it is a new feature or not.
Doing something different from before, that is the important thing.

Sorry, I can't be bothered arguing about wilful misinterpretations.

Updated to add quoted content.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:48:16 am by john beardsworth »

nicsut

• nicsut photography
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 07:39:21 am »

So you should have just shut up then, rather than continuing your personal attacks. 

... You can certainly interpret it to mean updates to existing features, but that's twisting it.

Hard to see why you say I am twisting something that you yourself say is a CERTAIN interpretation.  Don't appreciate your insinuations of dishonnesty on my part.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 07:47:31 am »

So you should have just shut up then, rather than continuing your personal attacks. 

Sorry, there was no personal attack of any kind. I was responding to jjj - I should have quoted him.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:55:38 am by john beardsworth »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 07:54:47 am »

Hard to see why you say I am twisting something that you yourself say is a CERTAIN interpretation.  Don't appreciate your insinuations of dishonnesty on my part.

No, I am simply saying that interpreting "feature updates" as "updates to existing features" would be twisting its meaning to prove your case. The words are vague enough to allow that, but we all know it's not what they meant.

jjj

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 08:56:27 am »

No wilful misinterpretation.
The vagueness and moving goalposts of what is and isn't a 'new' feature is why things are fuzzy.

ButchM

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 09:00:37 am »

No, I am simply saying that interpreting "feature updates" as "updates to existing features" would be twisting its meaning to prove your case. The words are vague enough to allow that, but we all know it's not what they meant.

In my mind, it really isn't the definition or acceptance of semantics that is troubling ... the new Import dialog is actually a feature removal and de-enhancement in many respects ... not an update, enhancement or improvement to anything that existed previously.

It is more than evident that this new Import dialog has measurably less capabilities than the prior version. So much so that a very significant group of users are either avoiding this latest update altogether or are rolling back to 6.1.1 to avoid this 'update to existing features' ... Not to mention nearly every Adobe evangelist and educator have gone to great lengths to show users how to turn off some of these new 'enhancements to existing features' (that were never available previously) to avoid taking a huge hit on resources that significantly slow down many systems.

I fail to see how defining these issues to such 'legally' stringent, technical levels helps anyone when the end result will not change regardless of how we individually refer to or label these issues.

My view is, in v6.2/2015.2 Adobe screwed the pooch with Import dialog with this latest iteration. Others are free to define the issue as they wish.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up