Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Do large format film has more "tone resolution" than smaller format films?  (Read 5247 times)

Diego Pigozzo

Given what (very very little) I know about the development chemical process, the answer should be "yes".
But I'm probably missing a lot, so I'm asking.

When I grow up I want to be a photographer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diegopig/

Rob C

If I understand the question properly, the answer would be yes. You simply lay the (same) image over a larger area and benefit from less visual interference from the structure of the medium and the development processes themselves.

Whether this is always a good thing isn't as clear: many times the use of a smaller film gives you effects that the use of larger formats can't. And, obviously, vice versa.

Rob C

Diego Pigozzo

If I understand the question properly, the answer would be yes. You simply lay the (same) image over a larger area and benefit from less visual interference from the structure of the medium and the development processes themselves.

Whether this is always a good thing isn't as clear: many times the use of a smaller film gives you effects that the use of larger formats can't. And, obviously, vice versa.

Rob C

I was thinking more about the fact that a large format film has "more samples" of the same area (which has a relation with the visual interference you're talking about, but I'm not sure they are the same thing).

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos

I think you are both saying the same thing, non?

Diego Pigozzo

I think you are both saying the same thing, non?

Maybe, but I'm not sure.
As I understand it, what RobC said is something akin to "for a given ppi, a bigger monitor will show more image details than a smaller one (assuming the image has enough resolution)", which is something more about spatial resolution than "tone resolution".

My doubt was more about "tone resolution", that is the ability of large format film to resolve more tones (not just more details).

As I understand it, what the development process does is to "propagate" the chemical changes from the exposed molecules to the unexposed ones.
And as I understand it, this process is necessary because very few light-sensitive molecules get struck by photons.

If all the above is correct, a film can be seen as a set of binary samples (where "binary" means "just two states") of an image: each light-sensitive molecules is either exposed or not esposed.

So I'm supposing that a large format film has more samples of an image, and therefore can resolve both more details and more tones.

I tried the following experiment:
1) I took and 2048x3029 JPG (original_image.jpg)
2) I converted it to a 1 bit image (that is, pixel can only be black or white, no grays) (just_1bit_convertion.gif)
3) I reloaded the original image, resized at 25% and converted to a 1 bit image (resize25_and_1bit_conversion.gif)

As you can see, the just_1bit_convertion.gif has (or looks to have) both more details and more tones than the resize25_and_1bit_conversion.gif.
I don't know if this test is meaningful in any ways, but that's the best examples I came up with.

By the way, both what I'm saying and what RobC is saying are strongly correlated.

Rob C

But you can't think of film really as digital capture.

A closer analogy of what I think you mean now, might be taking the concept of enlarging.

From whatever format of negative you begin, the greater you enlarge, the film's 'pixels' are being spaced over a larger and larger print area with no interpolation so the image falls apart, but in an honest way.  ;-)

See the movie Blow Up!

Rob C

Diego Pigozzo

But you can't think of film really as digital capture.
That's why I used "binary" instead of "digital": because binary implies only two values (which are, in the case of silver halide, "exposed" or "not exposed").

A closer analogy of what I think you mean now, might be taking the concept of enlarging.

From whatever format of negative you begin, the greater you enlarge, the film's 'pixels' are being spaced over a larger and larger print area with no interpolation so the image falls apart, but in an honest way.  ;-)

See the movie Blow Up!

Rob C

I agree, but what I mean was (more or less) this: "If you print a large format film to a certain size, do this print show more tones than a 35mm frame printed to the same size, when viewed at the same distance?"

amolitor

Large format is basically Dolby noise reduction for pictures.

By making the signal bigger and keeping the noise levels the same you make the whole thing look better.

Ideas from sampling theory map to analog quite poorly. The correct model is signal to noise ratio, usually.

Rob C

"As I understand it, what the development process does is to "propagate" the chemical changes from the exposed molecules to the unexposed ones.
And as I understand it, this process is necessary because very few light-sensitive molecules get struck by photons.

If all the above is correct, a film can be seen as a set of binary samples (where "binary" means "just two states") of an image: each light-sensitive molecules is either exposed or not esposed."

No, it's not like that. It is not a matter of exposed or not exposed, yes or no; it's a matter of degree (as in strength) of light hitting the individual molecule.

The characteristic curves show you that highlights are better handled by film than digital because they 'roll off' better and allow a smoother transition from max. white into the greys.

And because film is an organic concept, even films of the same nominal ASA/ISO rating have different physical properties: Kodak's Tri-X was a film that tended to be more 'crisp' in the sense of having tighter, more distinct-looking grain, whereas Ilford's HP3/4 showed a characteristic rolling, slightly more mushy, look in its grain structure if you made similar sized blow-ups from the same neg formats.

For what it's worth, comparisons between the two mediums are best forgotten because the differences are too great to make sense. Or so it has come to seem to me.

Rob C
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:03:57 pm by Rob C »

Tim Lookingbill

You'll also need to consider resolution and contrast characteristics for both film and lens along with film grain size and how many tonal distinctions the lens can expose to silver halide crystals compared to how much is just grain & noise. It's the same issue with digital sensors.

When I was a staff photographer in high school for both the annual and newspaper, I noticed my instructor's 120 B&W film captures off an old Rolleiflex camera was so sharp and detailed compared to the 35mm B&W captures off the school issued SLR with 50mm prime lens. At the time I couldn't tell if it was the lens or the film stock.

About 15 years later I got my own Yashica 35mm SLR/50mm prime lens and shot on Agfa color negative print film where I was surprised by its sharpness and detail on the 4x6 print, but the lab cranked up the contrast and saturation to where I couldn't be sure of causality until I finally scanned the 35mm negatives myself 20 years later when I bought my Epson scanner where I was getting tonality that rivaled the 120 B&W but it was of close-up head/shoulder portraits.

So I guess it depends on a lot of things that would require controlled tests using a fixed target at a fixed distance and all the other stuff I mentioned above.

Diego Pigozzo

Re: Do large format film has more "tone resolution" than smaller format films?
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 04:51:24 pm »

No, it's not like that. It is not a matter of exposed or not exposed, yes or no; it's a matter of degree (as in strength) of light hitting the individual molecule.
I'm not sure I get this: I thought that a silver halide molecule could only be on the "exposed" or "unexposed" state.
Am I wrong?

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 05:15:52 pm »

I noticed my instructor's 120 B&W film captures off an old Rolleiflex camera was so sharp and detailed ...

So I guess it depends on a lot of things that would require controlled tests using a fixed target at a fixed distance and all the other stuff I mentioned above.

The same thing happened to me with my Flexaret VII: the shots looks much more sharp than both the 35mm and the 16mpx DSLR I own.

So, probably, mine was just a masturbaccademic question  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 06:03:57 pm »

I'm not sure I get this: I thought that a silver halide molecule could only be on the "exposed" or "unexposed" state.
Am I wrong?

I'm sure that you are under a delusion based upon, I suspect, the fact that you are making comparisons of 1 and 0. It is flexible, or everything would be either totally black or totally white, just as you'd get using a line film. You'd get no shadow detail - just blackness. The shadow exists (in the image) because of the lesser degree of light reaching the silver halides, but still being just strong enough to have some slight photochemical effect on the film.

But it gets worse: different emulsions are also sensitive to colours in different ways, and that makes huge differences too. Panchromatic films manage to record all colours of the spectrum that are visible to us, and orthochromatic emulsions do much the same except for red and orange. Basically, that's why coloured filters are used in black/white photography and can make huge differences - as St Ansel, famous fan of red, would tell you!

I hope this helps, but it really demands that you forget totally about digital capture and clear your mind before you get into the mental process of figuring it out.

I could be totally wrong: I only remember what I was told in the night school classes I was obliged to attend for a while. I abandoned them as soon as I realised that the place - well, the tutors - had nothing to offer me for where I was wanting to go. Turned out I was right about the latter bit anyway! Regarding the rest, photographic materials theory, it interested me very little: I knew what I had to know in order to be able to shoot and process and print well, but apart from that, it held no interest. I felt I was a photographer not a scientist. Which, really, is why I find digital hand-wringing and pixel peeping etc. coldly uninteresting. For me, it's not about the technicalities, it's about the art.

;-)

Rob C

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 06:16:06 pm »

I'm sure that you are under a delusion based upon, I suspect, the fact that you are making comparisons of 1 and 0. It is flexible, or everything would be either totally black or totally white, just as you'd get using a line film. You'd get no shadow detail - just blackness. The shadow exists (in the image) because of the lesser degree of light reaching the silver halides, but still being just strong enough to have some slight photochemical effect on the film.
I'm still don't getting it, sorry.
I mean, in the hypotesis that a silver halide molecule could only be "exposed" or "non exposed" doesn't implies that the resulting image will have only two tones: given that the molecules are so small and so much, our eyes would perceive them as shadows.
(more or less like in the images I posted).

I looked on Wikipedia and they say:
When a silver halide crystal is exposed to light, a sensitivity speck on the surface of the crystal is turned into a small speck of metallic silver (these comprise the invisible or latent image). If the speck of silver contains approximately four or more atoms, it is rendered developable - meaning that it can undergo development which turns the entire crystal into metallic silver. Areas of the emulsion receiving larger amounts of light (reflected from a subject being photographed, for example) undergo the greatest development and therefore results in the highest optical density.

I understand this to means that there are no "degrees" of exposure: just "exposed" or "non exposed".
(truth is, they are talking about "render developable", but the result is the same).

Let me use your examples of characteristic curves: they looks like continous curves because the numbers of silver halide molecules is huge,

But let's imaging to have a tiny tiny piece of film with just 10 molecules: the characteristic curve will still look continuous or it will looks to have discrete steps?

BJL

silver halide film records billions of binary samples, "dithered" to grayscale
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 06:45:13 pm »

i agree with Diego: under a microscope a silver halide negative is all black and white, with no intermediate shades of gray: at any locations, either there is developed silver (black) or there is not (white). The same with silver halide prints as far as I know.  What we see is the amount of light reflected from a region with hundreds of solver specks, because our eye cannot resolve down to the level of individual specks, and the shade of gray that we see depends on the fraction of each tiny part of the negative/print that is black.  The same with half-tone printing: look at a billboard close up!  The term is "dithering", I believe.

Aside: this fact that a silver-halide negative is "binary", so with a very low "pixel level dynamic range" if viewed close enough, is why people should stop obsessing about per pixel dynamic range specs, and instead look at the DR and tonal gradations seen when displayed and viewed at a particular size.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 07:33:03 pm »

Those of you pushing the "binary" nature of silver halide crystals seem to be forgetting or ignoring the fact that exposure isn't the only thing that matters. If, indeed, every molecule were "on" or "off" depending on whether it was struck by light or not, then development would make no difference at all.

In general, longer development creates higher contrast. This is the basis of Ansel Adams' famous "Zone System."

And, in my fifty years experience of darkroom work with films from 35mm to 8x10" I saw time and time again that a larger negative was able to display more visibly different shades of grey than a smaller negative, and would have a significantly greater dynamic range as well.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

amolitor

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 07:55:58 pm »

Crystals and molecules are different things and the ugly truth is that the photochemistry of silver halides remains somewhat of a mystery.

We have some very useful models and a lot of understanding but there remain some corners where we just don't know what's going on, I am given to understand.

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 06:22:16 am »

To which, I suppose, one could add the phenomenon whereby even very well-known PJs subscribe(d) to the theory that increasing development increased film speed. It didn't. What it did do was increase contrast within the faint shadow areas and give the impression of higher film speed because those shadow areas were made slightly more distinct. But that was just an increase in local contrst, not in detail captured. If anything, the greater achievement was really a loss of highlight detail due to clogging up through over-development. But the myth lived on, and even became a style.

Such is photography.

Rob C

BJL

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 12:59:06 pm »

Those of you pushing the "binary" nature of silver halide crystals seem to be forgetting or ignoring the fact that exposure isn't the only thing that matters. If, indeed, every molecule were "on" or "off" depending on whether it was struck by light or not, then development would make no difference at all.

In general, longer development creates higher contrast. This is the basis of Ansel Adams' famous "Zone System."
Agreed, but that does not change the fact that the information on a developed "silver" negative, is binary at the microscopic scale: those tiny bits of silver are black, not shades of gray.  Changes in development only change the density of the silver particles, so that there are more regions of very high and very low density and less region of intermediate density.  The bottom line is still that measuring dynamic range on the original "raw recorded signal" is meaningless until you account for how much local averaging (dithering) goes into determining the gradations of luminosity (and color) that are detected by a viewer's eyes.

And to the original question: printing from a larger negative, and so at lower enlargement for the same print size, allows more of this local averaging, and thus can give finer tonal gradations.  Diffraction from the enlarging lens alone does some of this averaging.

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 07:25:54 am »

And, in my fifty years experience of darkroom work with films from 35mm to 8x10" I saw time and time again that a larger negative was able to display more visibly different shades of grey than a smaller negative, and would have a significantly greater dynamic range as well.

Eric

I can't talk for the others, but I'm not "forgetting or ignoring the fact that exposure isn't the only thing that matters": I'm just simply toying with the idea that large format film may have more dynamic range than smaller ones (which is something you're confirming to be true).

About the uselessness of development if a silver halide molecule/crystal were "binary", I'm not sure it really matters.
For sure silver halide molecule/crystal have a finite number of stable states and I think this number is "two".
But even if this number was not "two", it must be very low: I don't know of any molecule/crystal that has hundreds of stable states.

About the Zone System, thinking about it seems to confirm my idea that development "propagates the exposed state" from the exposed molecule/crystal to the unexposed ones.
If I'm not mistaken, the Zone System says to expose for the shadows and to develop for the highlight because the development process has a stronger effects on highlights.

Now, if the development process just "do something to the already exposed molecules/crystals", you could get an increase of constrast only if the silver halide molecule/crystal has a huge number of stable states (so that you're making the black "blacker" and the whites "whiter".

But if the development process "propagates the exposed state", it's easy to see why you get more constrast: if the process doubles the exposed molecules/crystals (by propagation) then the part of the film that starts with 1N exposed molecules/crystals will end up with 2N, while the part of the film that starts with 2N ends up with 4N.

This means that if the starting difference in contrast was 1N (2N - 1N), the end contrast will be 2N (4N - 2N).

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up