Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Music jjj  (Read 4681 times)

Rob C

Music jjj
« on: October 08, 2015, 09:01:29 am »

Hi jjj

I used the title that I did because I'd really like your input here.

Recent posts in the forum have dealt with musical tastes and how folks appear to be overly fond - possibly to the exclusion of anything else - of the music with which they grew up.

In my own case, I can remember the first influences coming out of radio when I was around eight years old; anything earlier may have had a lasting effect but that's one of which I'm oblivious. In those early days, music and radio meant, in my case, Radio SEAC, coming out of Ceylon. Our own BBC's David Jacob's velvet tones were the ones that I remember from there. After some years the Brits (oops!) left the area and the station changed its name from its original, military one (akin to AFN), to Radio Ceylon, and went totally commercial, to become much as was Radio Luxembourg which I found in '53.

Now, on top of radio there was the world of the movies, which I saw as often as possible, despite maniacal boarding school, religiously-inspired prohibition, which, in the case of being discoverd going to a cinema, would have resulted in expulsion and severe beatings with a cane. I 'enjoyed' two such cane incidents for various non-sins, the most mentally hurtful being for having been caught reading a library book after I'd completed my homework... it didn't matter: you had to look as if you were still struggling with simple stuff - just for as long as it took for the bell to ring and release you from the silly game.

Anyway, those various sources opened me to Dorsey, Miller et al. as well as Clooney, Como, Sinatra and all the usual supects of the late 40s and the early 50s.

Came the mid-fifties and R'n'R burst upon the UK scene, but not before I'd discovered New Orleans and much that developed from there. As with many 'trad' fans I hated 'modern' only to find myself, at the opppsite end of my life, enjoying people like Benny Carter so very much. From that period, I absolutely hated skiffle.

In the end, I suppose that I started this thread to try and understand how you, working in the world of music and dance for a long time, have adapted your own taste in the face of the changing times. Have you honestly liked all the new or do you simply learn about it and keep truckin' with it in order to enjoy the photography and continue making a living? Or, alternatively, does constant exposure simply take you along on the train until you step or fall off?

Something I love a lot, and which keeps me happily dancing on the spot goes like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhNhaZzgp9I

Rob C

P.S. This invitation to jjj is, of course, equally open to everyone else who feels like it to contribute!

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: Music jjj
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 10:38:13 am »

I always love to hear new music and I certainly didn't get been stuck on just the music of my teen years. I always roll my eyes when I hear people complain that 'modern music is rubbish, not like it was in my day' as they completely ignore the fact that people said exactly the same thing about their music, as did the generation before that. Plus ça change.
Nothing wrong with people liking the music they grew up with at all though. It usually is the soundtrack to a lot of happy memories and discovering life before all the boring crap kicks in. However partially because I kept dancing after being a teen, doing some DJing and partially because I actively want to hear new music, I didn't stop enjoying new music as the soundtrack to life changed with the times too.

However my complaint about a lot of 'modern music' of the last 10 years is the opposite to the usual cliche.
So much sounds very much like it could have been made at some other time since punk in the 70s.
People in the 70s/80s didn't buy music that sounded like it was made during the war. Music used to be revolutionary, kicking against what went before which drove change.
Now 'nearly' all music is available all the time and creative types who want to do different things may go into other areas that didn't even exist before the digital revolution. Things have changed and music creation with it.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 10:55:11 am »

Something I love a lot, and which keeps me happily dancing on the spot goes like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhNhaZzgp9I
Nice tune, but a bit slow for me, dance wise. I'm a big fan of 30's swing music however which is usually much faster and I particularly like modern music which has a swung rhythm even if it's not thought of as swing music by traditionalists.
I quite like this track from last year this as it combines a modern dance form - drum and bass with a latin feel and as the D+B element swings you can Lindy Hop to it - which is my favourite dance.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 11:58:40 am »

Nice tune, but a bit slow for me, dance wise. I'm a big fan of 30's swing music however which is usually much faster and I particularly like modern music which has a swung rhythm even if it's not thought of as swing music by traditionalists.
I quite like this track from last year this as it combines a modern dance form - drum and bass with a latin feel and as the D+B element swings you can Lindy Hop to it - which is my favourite dance.

Thanks for replies and link: Los Charly's is too quick for me! I can understand some challenges there for a dancer, but as standing on the spot or making slow, train-like movements back and forth over about six feet of carpet space gets me sweaty quite soon...

I used to be a bit of a fan of a local jazz group here, a Mallorquin bass guitar, Argentinians on alto and drums, with another, late Argentinian on keyboard and a Cuban gentleman on tenor. They often played along, at impromptu moments, with Scottish jazz singer Carol Kidd, who lives here and has a wonderful voice (and recording history). Sometimes, the German arranger/composer/multi-instrumentalist Peter Shirmann would join in on harmonica. I loved the combinations.

But, with time, their repertoir changed and became ever more saturated with the Latin American stuff, which went down very well with the locals - naturally enough, but left me wishing for something else. They said it was fusion...

As is obvious, I'm no music snapper, but it's fun trying to keep focus by hand and listen to someone wonderful create music! Live is magical! Also, there's something about looking at people perform, especially through a longer lens, that makes it seem they are singing/playing for you, the photographer. Quite an experience, all told, and not the same as just sitting or standing there.

Some day, DV, I'll do it again.

Rob C
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:35:22 pm by Rob C »

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 04:49:37 pm »

As a musician (trombone player in a swing band) I've found I've had a harder time adapting to how I find new music over concerns in changing tastes in music. I established my musical tastes starting way back as a teen and I have over 100 CD's to prove that now at 56.

With digital distribution channels and local brick & mortar records shops carrying fewer selections, I spend about as much time hunting for new music as I do listening to my CD collection.

Sometimes I get lucky like when I snagged a $5 Sony Special Markets CD on a collection of old swing band music and discover unknown recordings of old '30's orchestras with the most talented jazz riff artists I've ever heard. One of them is Glenn Gray's "Casa Loma Stomp". There are dozens of YouTube renditions of this song all with varying tempos and solo riffing styles, but that Sony SM CD has the best sounding version. Even though it sounds like the theme to a "Heckle & Jeckle" cartoon, the solos on this particular rare rendition just gives me chills. They're tight, melodically simple but with just the right amount of syncopation and super fast. It definitely gets my blood flowing in the morning.

It took me forever to find it but this one is the closest with regards to the solos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ_PLsJm-yo

When I find newer pop acts like Tame Impala and save to my Amazon wish list I start seeing them appear a couple of years later on talk shows like Stephen Colbert's Late Show where they performed last night. I didn't think that band would ever make it to prime time. They do have a borrowed retro sound similar to the Beatles though. Oh well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H570ifQfpDk

Then I discover through remix searches like jjj's this unknown dude, Willie Bobo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIF-fkPbZQk

jjj

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 05:07:57 pm »

Sometimes I get lucky like when I snagged a $5 Sony Special Markets CD on a collection of old swing band music and discover unknown recordings of old '30's orchestras with the most talented jazz riff artists I've ever heard. One of them is Glenn Gray's "Casa Loma Stomp". There are dozens of YouTube renditions of this song all with varying tempos and solo riffing styles, but that Sony SM CD has the best sounding version. Even though it sounds like the theme to a "Heckle & Jeckle" cartoon, the solos on this particular rare rendition just gives me chills. They're tight, melodically simple but with just the right amount of syncopation and super fast. It definitely gets my blood flowing in the morning.

It took me forever to find it but this one is the closest with regards to the solos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ_PLsJm-yo
That's a rather quick track! That'd be fast for dancing balboa!!

When I find newer pop acts like Tame Impala and save to my Amazon wish list I start seeing them appear a couple of years later on talk shows like Stephen Colbert's Late Show where they performed last night. I didn't think that band would ever make it to prime time. They do have a borrowed retro sound similar to the Beatles though. Oh well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H570ifQfpDk
Not sure I'd ever describe Tame Impala as pop.  They have a sort of 60's psychedelic feel to me as illustrated by the style in that video of theirs for Elephant. I used a spacier version of that track in a mix compilation I did for the girlfriend recently.

Then I discover through remix searches like jjj's this unknown dude, Willie Bobo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIF-fkPbZQk
There are a lot of gems on those Verve remix albums. I have 4 of them IIRC.

If you want to find out where samples came from or who uses them whosampled is a great place.
The album Sampledis also a good place to find some original versions of melodies you may recognize via sampling.

Telecaster

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 05:36:47 pm »

IMO one reason today's music scene is so sonically & stylistically diverse—with both lotsa retro "looking back" and lotsa pushing into new territory—has to do with the near-collapse of the old music industry and its accompanying loss of taste-making power. Record labels and their tight relationships with radio stations and influential DJs (including the payola system)…that era is gone. This is mostly a good thing, I think, though it has drawbacks too. It's easier to find cool & different stuff, provided you make the effort. At the same time if you're just a casual listener it's less likely you'll be exposed to that cool & different music…there are fewer arbiters left to nudge you out of your comfort zone. Club goers have it much better than pub patrons in this regard.

I started taking piano lessons at age eight and have played guitar since my early teens. So my own tastes have certainly been shaped by those instruments. Nowadays I listen to lots of synth-based, sequenced music. Not Electronic Dance Music (EDM) per se, though it can usually be danced to. Here's a short example, a demo of an upcoming Moog synth actually but right in line with the kind of thing I enjoy:

http://youtu.be/fN-Nbxq41ik

-Dave-

jjj

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 06:12:33 pm »

IMO one reason today's music scene is so sonically & stylistically diverse—with both lotsa retro "looking back" and lotsa pushing into new territory—has to do with the near-collapse of the old music industry and its accompanying loss of taste-making power.
I see an awful lot more looking back and replicating than I do boundaries being pushed. Most things I hear being hailed as new, sound like stuff I already have.

I started taking piano lessons at age eight and have played guitar since my early teens. So my own tastes have certainly been shaped by those instruments. Nowadays I listen to lots of synth-based, sequenced music. Not Electronic Dance Music (EDM) per se, though it can usually be danced to. Here's a short example, a demo of an upcoming Moog synth actually but right in line with the kind of thing I enjoy:

http://youtu.be/fN-Nbxq41ik
Sounds like an early Tangerine Dream jam session. ;)
I hate the term EDM, it's as dumb as referring to rock music as GRM - guitar rock music.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 11:27:16 pm »

I take it from the suggested selections on the right column in each of the linked YouTube samples posted in this thread I'm seeing what I'm having to assume is poster's related searches of interests and/or YouTube's algorithm generated ideas of what it thinks is related interests.

Just curious but I'm wondering if you guys are seeing "How to unclog a bathtub drain" on my linked samples. ;D That's another welcomed aspect of modern online search technology in that I'm getting to see from each of the contributor's linked selections music artists I've never heard before. Dave's Moog sample is an example. Never heard of it but it sure has a really good sound and provides a pathway to other related artists.

Just like Rob C's Linda Hayes is a new find for me along with related links to other similar artists. The thing is one has to discuss in forums with other folks to get them to provide the links.

Out of sight, out of mind really puts a damper on finding new music whether it's 50 years or a few weeks old. If someone doesn't talk about it online, it doesn't exist.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 03:58:49 am »

IMO one reason today's music scene is so sonically & stylistically diverse—with both lotsa retro "looking back" and lotsa pushing into new territory—has to do with the near-collapse of the old music industry and its accompanying loss of taste-making power.

For me, with interests mainly in "classical" (broad sense) music, this started with the low-cost label Naxos. Basically it was driven by one guy, Klaus Heymann, who realised you could hire an Eastern European orchestra at a fraction of the cost of the BPO... so instead of needing to feed the star system with yet another Beethoven symphony cycle to sell at premium prices, he recorded lots of off-repertoire work and sold tham at 1/3 of the then standard price. The result was an explosion of availability of obscure composers, from the 13th century to the present day. That business model has now been taken up by a bunch of other labels.

The transition to online music really hasn't done much for me: I'm not interested in streaming MP3's, I'll buy the physical disc if I can't download a full CD quality version... and there are now over 1200 CD's on the NAS. Kind of a shame, having two book-cases full of CD's to browse from was nicer in a way than scrolling through a database index, but there you go...

jjj

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 06:44:39 am »

I take it from the suggested selections on the right column in each of the linked YouTube samples posted in this thread I'm seeing what I'm having to assume is poster's related searches of interests and/or YouTube's algorithm generated ideas of what it thinks is related interests.
The YouTube suggestions are usually based on the video being watched.

Just curious but I'm wondering if you guys are seeing "How to unclog a bathtub drain" on my linked samples. ;D That's another welcomed aspect of modern online search technology in that I'm getting to see from each of the contributor's linked selections music artists I've never heard before. Dave's Moog sample is an example. Never heard of it but it sure has a really good sound and provides a pathway to other related artists.
That sort of advert [on the video itself] tends to be a reflection of something you have googled for or bought. Maybe months back.
Irritatingly you tend to get most adverts for things you have already bought or places you have already bought from, so mostly pointless.
Not to mention a waste of money for the advertiser. Which I suspect is actually the case for most online advertisers.
Can't see FB or Google letting people know that though.

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 12:12:20 pm »

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 02:04:24 pm »

The YouTube suggestions are usually based on the video being watched.
That sort of advert [on the video itself] tends to be a reflection of something you have googled for or bought. Maybe months back.

But did you see the "drain clog tut" (not an advert) video when you went to one of my links?

I did search on YouTube for that tut about a week ago and played it. I'm only curious to see if it shows up to others who go to my posted link. If it does appear to others then it might give pause to those to be careful in YouTube searches if they don't want that sort of thing revealed when and if they provide a link to something unrelated.

It's difficult to distinguish between how & when YouTube decides what's relatable to the linked video from what it includes from a user's search history. Clearly "drain unclogging" tutorial isn't related to music videos. I just want to confirm if others see it on my posted link to see whether it's just directed at me or to others who happen to go to one of my posted YouTube links.

Telecaster

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 04:52:54 pm »

No drain unclogging video recs for me…just the usual stuff YouTube "thinks" I might be interested in. Mixed in with videos related to the links, of course. Lately it's been quite insistent that I watch John Mayer performing blues covers in concert. No interest in this at all, though I do subscribe to some guitar-related channels & so it's likely making generic assumptions.

-Dave-

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 12:50:14 am »

Thanks for the confirmation, Dave.

I did get my tub drain unclogged but not by what was shown in the video. A 12in. long, short handled $3.75 bellows style plunger from Walmart designed for tub and sink drains did the trick. Toilet plunger didn't work. Too big.

YouTube seems to be more familiar with my music search habits because I like the fact that it provided the original Willie Bobo source recording for the remix without me having to search for it. But I still preferred the remix version. Some of these remixes really breath new life into old R&B selections I've never heard before. In fact that Verve remix album was what lead me to finding Willie Bobo among other artists on that album.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 12:51:07 pm by Tim Lookingbill »

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 02:58:06 am »

A wryly cynical comment:

jjj

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 09:25:36 am »

A wryly cynical comment:
Not cynicism, but an almost universal truth.

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 10:33:07 am »

About the cartoon, it does subscribe to a popular idea of what does or does not appeal as music to different people at certain ages, but there's another factor involved too: available opportunities to listen to popular music as you get older.

I think that, for a vast majority, that opportunity time shrinks dramatically the moment that majority starts to work. Most environments don't encourage the distraction of music, especially where concentration on the task in hand and much mental effort is involved!

Unlike the above, I had various music stations on the entire time that I was working in the studio or darkroom. Indeed, Radio Caroline (on 199!) as well as Radio Scotland (the pirate one) got me right through many frozen-fingered nights of multiple printing.

3a.m., and this, keeping me sane, will never be forgotten nor loved the less; goodness, she was attractive as symbolising the California Girl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M7gKZqgHn4

(the disc was better on radio, without video, though...)

The advent of cassette tech. also allowed music to remain to hand even in the car, without the hit or miss opportunities of just radio.

All in all, I feel damned fortunate to have lived the life that I have. Era, music, work, people and locations (not in order of priority, that list!) have been veritable gifts from God. No wonder I have a personal faith!

Rob C

jjj

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 10:57:00 am »

About the cartoon, it does subscribe to a popular idea of what does or does not appeal as music to different people at certain ages, but there's another factor involved too: available opportunities to listen to popular music as you get older.
Not quite. It's less about being able to listen to music and more to do with having a good time with music soundtracking your life. So when you stop clubbing, going out with all your mates etc as you settle down, your musical taste tends to freeze. Even if you have radio on at work or listen to music/radio on your commute as so many people do.

powerslave12r

• Flickr
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 11:14:27 am »

A wryly cynical comment:

Here's the original link: http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2253#comic

Don't forget the 'Votey - Red Button' on the bottom right.
http://www.flickr.com/garagenoise
DP2M | X-M1 | 6D | TS-E24IIL | EF24-105L
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up