Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The future is here? Light camera - 52 MPX, after-the-fact focus, DNG output  (Read 2118 times)

PaulSchneider

http://www.light.co/camera

Amazing. What do you guys think? Check out the "about us" video on vimeo.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com

The website is impressive as are the promises of what this camera will do. I understand the software to work on the images is still in development. I'll look forward to the reviews.

Bo Dez

Interesting and extraordinarily clever, but novel. It's not small and I can't help but feel all those angled low grade mirrors are going to flare to hell and be problematic at some point. It will need some considerable development.

The only benefit I see is being able to focus retrospectively but to be frank I have no interest in that, and since the lytro cameras have pretty much failed to capture peoples interest, it seems no one else cares either. To me, it's not even what photography is about. Part of the joy and art of photography is the instant of reacting and making decisions to manipulate a camera that represent your thoughts and feelings at the instance of capture. Sure, having some things that do that automatically helps, but too much is not a good thing, IMO. It's like buying one of those piano's that plays its self, stupid.

Why can't you just use a normal camera? :-\ I'm sick of all this dumbing down tech.

The thing is, it's not us who decides what the future wants, it's the future that does that and runs with things. Maybe they want this stuff? No one can predict that, but I hope they don't. What I can see is someone like apple taking elements of this and using it in consumer equipment.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:42:40 am by Bo Dez »

synn

• My fine art portfolio

I am very excited about this product but at the same time, I am wondering what exactly it has to do with Medium format.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

kers

• Pieter Kers

I welcome this clever idea; it makes make use of the low cost of small sensors and lenses to combine it into a new way of making an image.
I think it may work very well for subjects at some distance.
For subjects closer than say  2-3 meters-  you may get shifted images, when combined you may loose the details around edges, making it less than 52 megapixel.
The good thing of course is that it makes 16 photographs at the same time, making it possible to use it on moving subjects.
Back to camera basics it depends on the quality of the lenses and the sensor etc etc...
btw it costs 1300 $

some fact from the site:
How is the Light L16 Camera different from a DSLR?
A traditional DSLR uses one lens to focus light onto one sensor in order to capture a photo.
The Light Camera uses multiple apertures and sensors, in conjunction with state of the art computational imaging, to combine those images into a single, higher quality photo with up to 52 megapixels.

What is the Light L16 Camera?
The Light 16 Camera is the first multi-aperture computational camera.
The L16 makes it easy for anyone to take DSLR-quality images, and is small and light enough to fit in your pocket. Light’s technology combines folded optics with sophisticated computational imaging algorithms to deliver the highest quality images from the smallest possible device.

What about HDR?
The Light L16 Camera will offer HDR capability that surpasses most other cameras' HDR, by virtue of the fact that the device can expose different camera modules at different exposure values and capture simultaneous HDR, rather than the traditional sequential HDR.

Does the Light L16 Camera shoot video?
The Light L16 Camera will shoot video up to 4K with optical zoom from 35-150mm equivalent focal length.

What image formats does the Light L16 Camera output?
The Light L16 Camera will output most of the common file formats such as JPEG, TIFF, and raw DNG. We are designing the camera to work within common photography workflows and are eager for input as we continue to finalize the product.

What about flash?
The Light L16 Camera will include a built-in dual-tone LED flash. This first iteration of the product does not have a sync port or shoe.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird

http://www.light.co/camera

Amazing. What do you guys think? Check out the "about us" video on vimeo.

If it works it makes a lot of sense, I've taken to only use a iPhone when out and about or on holiday. I just can't be fussed with a bag of cameras anymore.
Not that I'm going to stump up cash to pre-order, chances are by the time its ready something better will be available, that usualy happens with crowd funding.
Kevin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up