Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: About to buy new monitor  (Read 1834 times)

TonyW

About to buy new monitor
« on: October 07, 2015, 01:33:23 pm »

I know that this is a question that crops up regularly so my apologies in advance if I seem to be repeating the same old.... 

I am looking to replace my old NEC 2090 UXi with a wide gamut monitor and slightly larger screen, intending to use the NEC as a secondary display.  I feel that it is still early days for 4k monitors and prefer to put off this choice for a couple of years yet - hoping choices and prices will increase, decrease respectively

I am pretty much a PC man but have recently acquired a used iMac 21”.  This suffers from the reported yellow tinge on the bottom half of the screen.  Therefore I would like to utilise the new monitor for colour critical work (occasionally)

I have always been a big fan of NEC and EIZO displays, usually choosing NEC products (at least for myself) as generally they have proved to be less expensive for the same spec. than comparative Eizo models.

With that said I have found that the relatively new EIZO CS240 seems to be very well specified, bundled with Colour Navigator software (hardware calibration a must have!) is very competitively priced against the similarly spec. NEC PA242W with Spectraview II software.

Adding a new puck suitable for wide gamut display to either (I am going for the i1 Display Pro) brings the NEC price to around £300 more!

There are other things that attract including the EIZO 5year warranty.

As you can no doubt gather I am currently very drawn to the EIZO but would appreciate other views and opinions

Cheers
Tony
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 01:35:27 pm by TonyW »

D Fosse

Re: About to buy new monitor
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 01:49:59 pm »

The Eizo CS240 is currently the best buy on the market. Unbeatable quality:price ratio.

The price difference between Eizo and NEC is a myth. In the US, NEC do not market anything directly corresponding to Eizo CG. In Europe, they do: the "Spectraview Reference" line, at exactly the price of Eizo CG.

The NEC PA242 corresponds to Eizo CX241. They cost roughly the same everywhere.

Holding out on 4K seems like a good policy right now, as it is still extremely expensive. That will probably change.

D Fosse

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 03:09:14 pm »

It should also be said that Eizo CG doesn't necessarily add anything particularly useful compared to CX, at least not for a photographer. Panel technologies and general standards are identical and in use they're indistinguishable (I have both). The CG does have a 3D LUT and CX not, but Eizo markets this mostly in terms of emulating various video/broadcast standards. Then there's the built-in sensor and the hood.

Anyway, I think Eizo made a brilliant move with the CS series. Save where it doesn't impact picture quality. By all accounts they sell very well and it's my first recommendation to all who ask.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 05:08:31 pm »

I have an Eizo CS240 and have been very impressed.  Very stable colour, accurate repeatable calibration, very uniform screen colour and brightness.  I thoroughly recommend it. 

D Fosse

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 05:28:30 am »

Of course, Eizo will never win any design contest  :)

The strictly-business-aesthetics-be-damned look is not for everyone (but I like it). If pressed, I'd have to concede that the NECs do look sleeker and more elegant, while still giving a very serious impression. Make no mistake, they're great monitors.

But then, if a nice piece of furniture was what I wanted, I'd get an iMac.

TonyW

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 06:21:36 am »

D Fosse, many thanks for your thoughtful responses. 
In comparing CS240 spec. with NEC the closest I got was the NEC 242W including Spectraview II software (This was a surprise as SVII has not been available previously as a UK option, I had to get a USA colleague to purchase for me!). 

Looking at the CS240 spec and comparing with the CX and CG models seemed to indicate that they used the same panel and technologies and the major difference being the add ons you have highlighted e.g. 3D LUT, inbuilt sensor and hood items that are I am sure nice to have but for me not a priority at this time

As to design and aesthetics, well I have my newly acquired 2009 iMac on the desk next to my old NEC 20".  The iMac gets the prize for looking pretty, my wife (SWMBO) certainly has said as much and I have to say I can see what she means.  The biggest drawback for me is the screen and Apples insistence on high gloss - I keep catching sight of myself, very disconcerting and I will just have to stop wearing those garish Hawaiian shirts  :D

Simon, thanks for your input and pleased to have you confirm what I suspected.  Just the cynic in me that started to think well for the price and spec. it appears to be too good to be true on the other hand we are still talking about a product from a manufacturer known for quality product.

Anyway I have just pressed the buy button for the CS240 and i1 Display Pro (£600) and am eagerly awaiting delivery  ;D

Thanks again

Tony
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 06:28:02 am by TonyW »

D Fosse

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 06:30:36 am »

Enjoy  :)

I know you won't regret it. One of my co-workers (our graphic designer) just got one on my advice and she is extremely happy with it. I could no longer bear seeing her sitting there with the Dell...she's too good at her job for such waste  :)

D Fosse

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 06:58:09 am »

Afterthought - just a general observation.

With monitors, you can't really rely on specifications, except on a very basic level. Panel type, gamut coverage, fine. Hardware calibration, yes or no. But it stops there.

The things that really matter, and that separate good monitors from bad, are nowhere to be found in the specifications. Maybe because there are no generally accepted parameters for them. Panel uniformity, shadow and highlight separation, tonal response. Calibration software. There's nothing in the specs to tell you that an Eizo or an NEC actually performs better here than a Dell at a third of the price.

In fact, just looking at the specs, there's no telling a Dell U2413 from an Eizo CX241 / NEC PA242. On paper, they're absolutely identical.

And that's what these budget brands exploit. Push up the specs, push down the price where nobody looks.

And then you have these totally bogus specifications like e.g. contrast range. Nobody needs 1000:1. And it says absolutely nothing about the general quality of the panel.

As always, the best general indicators are price and reputation. You do get what you pay for. Differences in price usually reflect real differences in quality, basic feature set otherwise identical.

TonyW

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 12:22:50 pm »

Observations well made

I agree that it is not wise to rely solely on specifications and would extend your comments to cover many other products.

I think the problem for many would be the lack of local suppliers to enable hands on comparisons. 

So without being able to test first hand I guess we are left with spec. comparisons, internet review, peer review and recommendations plus faith in the manufacturer.

For me the last was probably easiest.  Once budget decided and my faith in either Eizo or NEC to deliver a quality product as advertised it came down to which offered 'best bang for buck' for my current needs

I do believe that you do get what you pay for in this case and I am sure that I will be happy with my choice - well until 8k full Prophoto monitors arrive at under £1000  ;D

Monitor arrived today but will have to wait to play until I finish decorating refurbishment of work area

Pages: [1]   Go Up