Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Surface Book laptop - A whole new world for tethered captures?  (Read 6817 times)

Theodoros

Surface Book laptop - A whole new world for tethered captures?
« on: October 07, 2015, 11:09:13 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVfOe5mFbAE

It seems to me that Apple needs an urgent reaction to this....
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:37:33 am by Theodoros »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Theodoros

Re: Surface laptop - A whole new world for tethered captures?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 11:19:55 am »

A bit late to the game:  It's been a great solution for almost 2 years now.

https://kendoophotography.wordpress.com/2014/02/18/microsofts-surface-pro-2-a-game-changer-for-phase-one-iq-series-and-leaf-credo-medium-format-digital-backs/

Paul

Yeah, but that's a tablet.... This new one is an extremely powerful laptop computer

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 11:37:17 am »

Problem as always, at least IMO, is the keyboard.  Does the keyboard come off?  The tablets are not really tablets, they are running the full OS, basically they are fully functional laptops, just with the ability to remove the keyboard in the field, which is critical for mounting the unit.  At least from my experience.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

AlterEgo

- A whole new world for tethered captures?
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 11:43:12 am »

extremely powerful laptop computer
and you know what is the exact model of CPU & dGPU there ?

AlterEgo

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 11:44:23 am »

Problem as always, at least IMO, is the keyboard.  Does the keyboard come off?
and did you bother see the video ?

synn

• My fine art portfolio
Re: - A whole new world for tethered captures?
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 11:45:03 am »

and you know what is the exact model of CPU & dGPU there ?

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/devices/surface-book#techspec-block

However, the discreet GPU is in the keyboard, as are the USB ports, which makes this not so great for tethered use in the field.
The SP4 is a much better option for that.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

AlterEgo

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 11:49:14 am »

However, the discreet GPU is in the keyboard, as are the USB ports, which makes this not so great for tethered use in the field.

so where do you see the "exact model of CPU & dGPU" there ? which exactly "NVIDIA GeForce Graphics Processor" ? and which exactly "6th Gen Intel® Core™ i5 or i7" ?

Theodoros

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 11:53:36 am »

You can have the screen inverted on the keyboard case and still operate the computer from the screen's "touch" keyboard... Just have a soft cloth with you so that you can clean the fingerprints on that (amazing resolution) screen, often.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:56:56 am by Theodoros »

Theodoros

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 11:54:51 am »

so where do you see the "exact model of CPU & dGPU" there ? which exactly "NVIDIA GeForce Graphics Processor" ? and which exactly "6th Gen Intel® Core™ i5 or i7" ?

There is i5 and i7 versions....

synn

• My fine art portfolio
Re: Surface Book laptop - A whole new world for tethered captures?
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 12:09:17 pm »

It's funny how the exact same thread takes completely different directions here and in getDPI.
Just want to thank ken doo and Paul Caldwell for their contributions to the thread.

I'm out.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Theodoros

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 12:29:35 pm »

My major wonder is how accurately this screen calibrates and how good its anti-glare coating is... what is the up to now experience some have with the surface pros for calibration and anti-glare?

AlterEgo

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 12:49:11 pm »

There is i5 and i7 versions....

yes, and which models of i5 and i7 exactly ? that's the question - for example I am offered by M$ to preoder and yet, the seller does not disclose what is exactly that I am buying (not that I want to buy it, but still)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 12:49:35 pm »

and did you bother see the video ?

No I have to say I did not watch the video. I have been tethering with both the S2 and S3 on IQ260 since late 2013, first on the S2 and then S3.  Stayed with the S2 due to reasons I preferred.

If the video is showing the S4, then it's not anything new.  I have seen the spec's.  A bit more power and larger screen.  May be possible to have a more laptop like feel, but the larger it gets the less ideal IMO it is for tethering in the field. 

So far as I know, the S2 and S3, all have a removeable keyboard, the S3's is much better for daily use with a better touch feel for typing.  However I find the S3 is just a bit big for tethering in the field and prefer the size of the S2 even with the extra weight.

My point is this just a continuance to a long line up of Surface products and tethering with them has been done since the first model, albeit it was not a good answer as it did not run a full version of the OS. 

My other point is no single person besides Ken Doo has done more work on this subject.  Ken has made all of his findings available to anyone and has shared all of the pros and cons of each solution.  Ken has worked this solution to near brilliance with the last version and his notes are well worth the time to read.   Just want to give credit where it's due.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 01:00:05 pm »

so where do you see the "exact model of CPU & dGPU" there ?

Other than being of the Skylake generation, there is no 'exact' CPU model-step number of the i3, i5, or i7 processor, or GPU, given (yet). But then the Surface Pro 4 itself is not available yet either.

Besides, does it matter? You are unlikely to be able and exchange the processor yourself (iFixit hasn't dissected one yet, and others also have limited low level details), and Microsoft only offers a choice between some selected combinations of processor, memory, and storage. So one is more likely to choose the model based on application, or budget, not on specific processor model code.

Also, comparing processors without the rest of it's support electronics is rather meaningless.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 01:57:19 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

AlterEgo

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 01:40:44 pm »

Other than being of the Skylake generation, there is no 'exact' CPU model number of the i3, i5, or i7 processor, or GPU, given (yet). But then the Surface Pro 4 itself is not available yet either.

it is already available for preoder... that's the point.

So one is more likely to choose the model based on application, or budget, not on specific processor model code.

true, yet if you did not notice I asked the question when remark was made about "extremely powerful" so I was thinking what exactly makes it one

Also, comparing processors without the rest of it's support electronics is rather meaningless.

indication about dGPU model gives rather good idea about the level of performance in GPU enabled apps like C1 and yes, the exact chipset model for example are also good to know, but for a start it is good to know at least those details... but as usual if the manufacturer/seller prefers to hide the spec that means it is indeed a device for convenience of use only...

Theodoros

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 01:57:50 pm »

It's funny how the exact same thread takes completely different directions here and in getDPI.
Just want to thank ken doo and Paul Caldwell for their contributions to the thread.

I'm out.

Good idea... I think I'll follow... too many that are not keen to discuss the tethering ability here although that is the subject under discussion. It's really funny it's always the same people that are the reason...

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 02:09:45 pm »

it is already available for preoder... that's the point.

Why pre-order? Just wait till the specifics are known, and/or independent benchmarks have been run.

indication about dGPU model gives rather good idea about the level of performance in GPU enabled apps like C1 and yes, the exact chipset model for example are also good to know, but for a start it is good to know at least those details...

I disagree, it tells only a little, at best.

Didn't users report slower performance with GPU acceleration enabled in Lightroom (maybe it has improved after 2 updates)? That's how interdependent the infrastructure and specific software are, which makes it rather meaningless to compare on hardware specs of a single component alone.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:53:34 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 02:30:34 pm »

Ken and I were just discussing this.  The screen detaches and can be reattached covering the keyboard (I watched the video).  Weight might be an issue however we feel the manganic solution we’re currently using will be more than strong enough.  Another aspect to this besides a killer screen is the 2-USB ports; one to the back and another to a lightweight external hard drive (my 2TB weighs around 8 oz).  Might be something worth looking into.

Don

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 02:35:53 pm »

Weight would be the big factor for me for a portable tethering solution and less fiddling around.  SP 2/3/4 remains the better portable tethering choice for me.

But wow---the Surface Book does offer other capabilities/options. It's pretty too. Did Microsoft just shoot a warning shot across the Macbook Pro bow?

:)ken
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:37:45 pm by Ken Doo »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up