Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad ArcBody (+Rodensctock lenses) or Canon 5D for landscapes  (Read 2140 times)

mwwoj

I shot mainly landscapes with wide lens (80% Fujinon 10-24mm at 10-12mm most of the times)
I still use my Hasseblad occasionally with Velvia for having best quality results after pro-scanning on drum scanner
Still I lack really wide lens and 40mm is to big and heavy to walk around outdoors
I shot >80% with tripod

My aim is to have top quality results but I do not want to carry large format camera with me

I like my Fuji X-T1 but comparing with full frame camers there is quality missing, escpecially if I need to crop a picture

Recently I came across Hasselblad ArcBody with 3 Rodenstock 35/45/75mm lenses
35mm lens would be the equivalent of ~22mm on 35mm (and ~24mm with PhaseOne P45+)
This could be a solution to have large-format-like light camera with possibility to shot both film and digital. It would be like digital-only Apla 12, wouldn`t it?  https://www.alpa.ch/en/section/products/

The other option would be full frame Nikon or Canon camera

What would you suggest?

Do you have any live experience with ArcBody + PhaseOne P45/45+? Is there really any issue with attaching the digital back to ArcBody?

jng

Re: Hasselblad ArcBody (+Rodensctock lenses) or Canon 5D for landscapes
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 12:26:32 pm »

Quick note before the avalanche of suggestions to abandon medium format and go with Sony... ;)

The Arcbody is not compatible with P-series and IQ-series Phase backs, due to a protruding ridge around the rear standard's opening. See: https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=1187&languageid=1. I found this out the hard way with my early 60's vintage Hassy SWC (this ridge disappeared in later Superwide models). If you're intent on using the Arcbody, the ridge can be machined down. I didn't have the stomach to do this to my beloved SWC and eventually purchased a newer SWC/M at KEH.

John

mwwoj

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 03:40:09 pm »

Thank you John for info and link

I have seen similar post on the web but if I decide to modify Arcbody for digital backs, the other question arises:
Are these Rodenstock lenses good enough for digital backs?
Are "digital-lenses" made by Canon, Nikon etc. better option (then I would definitevly had to but ful frame camera)

My goal is to have Alpa-like camera; Alpa, PhaseOne are far above my budget;
I am not professional just crazy hobbist
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:36:38 pm by mwwoj »

jng

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 09:54:13 pm »

I don't have experience with the Rodenstock lenses that go along with the Arcbody, so can't comment on how they would compare to a Nikon or Canon full frame system. With that said, ever since I started using the IQ160 digital back with my Hasselblad CF lenses (which I doubt are any "better" than the Rodie's - probably quite the opposite), I pretty much stopped using my Nikon D800E (with very high quality prime lenses) for landscape and still life. But as you'll see elsewhere on this forum, this is a matter of personal taste.

Echoing Keith's comment, if you're looking for a technical camera to take a digital back, the Arcbody is probably not the best solution. I think this was really a niche product from Hasselblad with more limited capabilities than a true tech cam. I don't own a technical camera myself but I'm guessing that you could put something together that would meet your needs by shopping the used market.

- John (another crazy hobbiest)

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 03:24:27 am »

I don't know the current going prices for the Arcbody, but look at a Cambo Actus DB. It is designed for digital and will make your life a lot easier.
One issue is that the P45+ rear screen is not good enough to confirm focus. This means you will have to work tethered in the field.

my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

jreederphoto

• www.reederphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 06:13:35 pm »

+1
Jordan Reeder Photography
[url=http://ww

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 03:13:53 am »

Hi,

I don't have the ArcBody but I have the FlexBody and I don't want to use it in the field with older digital backs. With the new CMOS backs it is different as they can be used as viewfinder due to having live view, but those CMOS backs have a crop factor.

Best regards
Erik

I shot mainly landscapes with wide lens (80% Fujinon 10-24mm at 10-12mm most of the times)
I still use my Hasseblad occasionally with Velvia for having best quality results after pro-scanning on drum scanner
Still I lack really wide lens and 40mm is to big and heavy to walk around outdoors
I shot >80% with tripod

My aim is to have top quality results but I do not want to carry large format camera with me

I like my Fuji X-T1 but comparing with full frame camers there is quality missing, escpecially if I need to crop a picture

Recently I came across Hasselblad ArcBody with 3 Rodenstock 35/45/75mm lenses
35mm lens would be the equivalent of ~22mm on 35mm (and ~24mm with PhaseOne P45+)
This could be a solution to have large-format-like light camera with possibility to shot both film and digital. It would be like digital-only Apla 12, wouldn`t it?  https://www.alpa.ch/en/section/products/

The other option would be full frame Nikon or Canon camera

What would you suggest?

Do you have any live experience with ArcBody + PhaseOne P45/45+? Is there really any issue with attaching the digital back to ArcBody?
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up