Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper Suggestion: Dry Mount Gatorboard, no glazing.  (Read 2167 times)

ThirstyDursty

Paper Suggestion: Dry Mount Gatorboard, no glazing.
« on: October 07, 2015, 08:55:06 am »

I think I approached my last post/question wrong.

I'm looking for a replacement paper for Canson Baryta.

Must survive dry mounting with a cold roll laminator. I found the Baryta to scratch.

The print will be finished with a print shield spray and framed in a thin metal frame.

Ideally it would reasonably match (or try) the qualities of the Baryta (sharpness, DMax, gamut)

If it would survive face mounting to acrylic, that would be a bonus.

Obviously I'm going to have to sacrifice something.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Paper Suggestion: Dry Mount Gatorboard, no glazing.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 11:44:11 am »

None of the Canson papers will work well, in regards to scratches.  They are very delicate.  Platine possibly even worse than the Baryta.

For this project, I would recommend, moving back to RC, use Epson Luster 260W.  Your true pure glossy papers are all going to scratch with a cold roll technique.  Epson luster is pretty hardy, or consider Moab's Lasal 300W luster paper.

If you heat mount different story, I have mounted both Platine and Baryta, more Platine on 1/2 foamcare and gator using Beinfang ragmount with great success. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 06:31:54 pm »

None of the Canson papers will work well, in regards to scratches.  They are very delicate.  Platine possibly even worse than the Baryta.

For this project, I would recommend, moving back to RC, use Epson Luster 260W.  Your true pure glossy papers are all going to scratch with a cold roll technique.  Epson luster is pretty hardy, or consider Moab's Lasal 300W luster paper.

If you heat mount different story, I have mounted both Platine and Baryta, more Platine on 1/2 foamcare and gator using Beinfang ragmount with great success. 

Paul

Thanks Paul.

That's a little disappointing, but understandable. Was hoping to do it myself (for fun/hobby), but looks like investment will just be more then I can justify. Cold Rollers are pretty affordable, but presses and vacuum beds are out of reach, for now.

Unless I'm mistaken in what is required to heat mount?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 09:49:31 pm »

Have you tried applying the protective coating before mounting?  When you say cold mounting, what device are you using?  I haven't had much trouble cold mounting exhibition fiber and it's a delicate surface. the printer is a much more likely source of scratches.

As far as face mounting to acrylic, your best choice is Epson Glossy or Epson Semi Gloss (both RC papers, end results once mounted look identical).  Trying to face mount a non RC paper can be sketchy.

If face mounting an inkjet print, be sure to let it outgas for a while (I wait a week), since once mounted everything is sealed.

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 04:20:07 am »

Have you tried applying the protective coating before mounting?  When you say cold mounting, what device are you using?  I haven't had much trouble cold mounting exhibition fiber and it's a delicate surface. the printer is a much more likely source of scratches.

As far as face mounting to acrylic, your best choice is Epson Glossy or Epson Semi Gloss (both RC papers, end results once mounted look identical).  Trying to face mount a non RC paper can be sketchy.

If face mounting an inkjet print, be sure to let it outgas for a while (I wait a week), since once mounted everything is sealed.

Thank Wayne, that sounds more positive.

The long story is I got some done by an external company. They all came back super scratched. The marks must have been from roller...or they put it face down and tried to surf it across the floor...I got a refund.

I was able to reprint and get a framer with a vacuum table to do it properly.

But I'm now looking to do myself. And trying to figure out what paper etc will work within my financial constraints. Cold rollers seem to fit this.

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 08:46:33 am »

We coldmount (roller) Platine, Innova IFA49, and Harman Gloss Baryta all the time. No problems with scratching from the laminator.

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 08:57:45 am »

We coldmount (roller) Platine, Innova IFA49, and Harman Gloss Baryta all the time. No problems with scratching from the laminator.

Do you spray it first with print protector?

alain

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 01:29:41 pm »

Hi

I cold mount Harman Gloss Baryta after spraying it with Talens 680.  I wait at least 4 hours between printing and spraying and another 4 hours before mounting it, most of the time it's a day or more between each step.

I do place some interleaving paper on the print surface and that goes through a cheap hand laminator.

I learned a lot from the Zenith Art video's and use a glue rol from them

http://www.zenith-art-system.de/index.php?id=videolehrgang0#c456

Alain

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 05:19:55 pm »

No spraying, just very careful handling. Anything larger than around 24x36 benefits from two people - one to control the movement of the the print, the other to wipe the reverse of the print with a tac-cloth, and track back the adhesive. Laminator is motorised.

We try to give the print as much time as we can to cure, prior to mounting. This is very dependent on weather (London, damp...)

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 06:16:59 pm »

Hiss

I cold mount Harman Gloss Baryta after spraying it with Talens 680.  I wait at least 4 hours between printing and spraying and another 4 hours before mounting it, most of the time it's a day or more between each step.

I do place some interleaving paper on the print surface and that goes through a cheap hand laminator.

I learned a lot from the Zenith Art video's and use a glue rol from them

Alain

It was their videos I stumbled onto to YouTube that made me think it was possible to do myself, without a $7k heat vacuum bed.

alain

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 12:14:37 pm »

It was their videos I stumbled onto to YouTube that made me think it was possible to do myself, without a $7k heat vacuum bed.

Hi

The video's are the real stuff.  The guy is an expert, but it can be done without much effort.  Do pay attention to where he's holding the paper, the handling, where to clean from dust, the settings and do it when relaxed and with some time.

BTW. My contacts as a (very small) client with Zenith Art where superb.  And a tip the "Schneidemesser" ( http://www.zenith-art-system.de/index.php?id=117&L=0 ) is indeed a lot sharper than a standard cutter a pleasure to cut prints or the glue sheets.

Alain
Pages: [1]   Go Up