Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "Lensing"?  (Read 6319 times)

william

"Lensing"?
« on: October 07, 2015, 08:47:14 am »

So I was reading an article in Variety (don't ask) and the following sentence jumped out at me:

"The pilot is set to begin lensing in New York City next week."

"Lensing"? Did I miss when that became a thing? I understand that, etymologically, "filming" is no longer technically accurate and "shooting" might be rejected as having violent connotations.  But "lensing"? I really hope that this is derived from the word for capturing images in some sexy language rather than just a random new word someone made up....

landscapephoto

Re: "Lensing"?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 01:29:17 pm »

<tongue in cheek modus on>

I prefer to call a lens: "objective". Therefore, the correct word would not be "lensing" but "objectifying". Now, if the subject is a female model, we could say that the photographer objectifies women.

<tongue in cheek modus off>

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 01:32:37 pm »

Never heard the term lensing. But I like objectifying! In fact I've been told I already do that! ;)
-MattB

byarvin

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 01:59:26 pm »

Very Hollywood! Not just "lensing" but "lensman" for the person who does it. I remember making fun of this usage long ago buy suggesting that we coin "lenspersons" as well.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 03:32:03 pm »

May I suggest reading inspecting scrutinizing lettering something better?
Instagram (updated often)

JaapD

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 01:59:55 am »

Simple

When: Lensman <=> Photographer
Therefore: Lensing <=> Photographing

Don’t take these things too serious, right?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 02:55:33 am »

Hi,

I would say, objectively speaking, that "lensing" implies less physical damage to the subject than "shooting".

Best regards
Erik

Simple

When: Lensman <=> Photographer
Therefore: Lensing <=> Photographing

Don’t take these things too serious, right?
Erik Kaffehr

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 03:35:01 am »

I would say, objectively speaking, that "lensing" implies less physical damage to the subject than "shooting".

Agree, but lensing is silly because it's the photons that make the image and we do not even need a lens for that, a pinhole will do.

Pinholing? Sounds too much like something NSFW to me. ;)

Just a plain silly attempt at trying to be fashionably creative, like most Instagram hipsters.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 07:51:01 am »

So I was reading an article in Variety (don't ask) and the following sentence jumped out at me:

"The pilot is set to begin lensing in New York City next week."

"Lensing"? Did I miss when that became a thing? I understand that, etymologically, "filming" is no longer technically accurate and "shooting" might be rejected as having violent connotations.  But "lensing"? I really hope that this is derived from the word for capturing images in some sexy language rather than just a random new word someone made up....

This usage is standard industry reporting jargon. Been in use for at least 30 years and has nothing to do with digital. Another wonderful phrase is that the talent "emotes" rather than performs.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Telecaster

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 04:29:15 pm »

Referring to actors as "talent" is another example of the same industry jargon. Makes clear how much filmmaking is a producer/director-centric endeavor.

-Dave-

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 05:40:47 pm »

This usage is standard industry reporting jargon. Been in use for at least 30 years and has nothing to do with digital. Another wonderful phrase is that the talent "emotes" rather than performs.

Edmund

True, this. But a I have never heard the term used outside of the motion picture world (am I wrong about this? Do some refer to "lensing a still shoot"?) I wonder, How does it relate to medium format?
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

JV

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 06:17:05 pm »

Variety does seem to create its own language:
http://variety.com/static-pages/slanguage-dictionary/

lense — to film a motion picture; “The project will lense in Rome and New York.”

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 04:39:28 am »

Variety does seem to create its own language:
http://variety.com/static-pages/slanguage-dictionary/

lense — to film a motion picture; “The project will lense in Rome and New York.”

Ah, so it's an invented slang verb, "to lense". What's wrong with 'Photography'? Not hip enough? Too ambiguous?

Thank goodness it has little to do with a "lens" (usually a transparent optical element that focuses rays of light), or an "objective" (a composite system of multiple lens elements nearest the object being viewed). At least that's what I've been taught.

Cheers,
Bart

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 07:46:30 am »

Ah, so it's an invented slang verb, "to lense". What's wrong with 'Photography'? Not hip enough? Too ambiguous?

Thank goodness it has little to do with a "lens" (usually a transparent optical element that focuses rays of light), or an "objective" (a composite system of multiple lens elements nearest the object being viewed). At least that's what I've been taught.

Cheers,
Bart

The english verb is  "to film". But for me lense conjures up an image of an eye ...

Edmund
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 07:49:13 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 09:21:50 am »

The english verb is  "to film". But for me lense conjures up an image of an eye ...

Nice picture. But not all 'eyes' have lenses. Some have facets, others only detect light and dark and little detail. A lens is a means to focus. BTW, it's formally lens, not lense.

Photography, still means "writing with light" (from the Greek: photos=light, graphein=to write), and there is nothing wrong with that.

Cheers,
Bart

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 11:23:36 am »

Hi,

I guess that the producer/director lacks talent so they hope the person acting in front of the cameras has some?

Best regards
Erik

Referring to actors as "talent" is another example of the same industry jargon. Makes clear how much filmmaking is a producer/director-centric endeavor.

-Dave-
Erik Kaffehr

AreBee

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 12:28:50 pm »

Bart,

..."objective" (a composite system of multiple lens elements nearest the object being viewed)...

Several months ago I noticed that objective seems to be common parlance when discussing scopes.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 02:40:59 pm »

Bart,

Several months ago I noticed that objective seems to be common parlance when discussing scopes.

Can imagine they do, it also allows to differentiate between an objective and an ocular (the eye piece at the eye side of the lens composite).

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:42:36 pm by BartvanderWolf »

landscapephoto

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 05:25:18 pm »

Then, I thought that a "scope" was this:

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 10:08:52 pm »

The english verb is  "to film". But for me lense conjures up ...

Edmund

And here, I suspect, is the source of the verb "to lens." When people started making movies without film being involved, the verb "to film," structly speaking, no longer described what was happening. You can still say "shoot," but that has other issues, and "to photograph" has never been used very much for motion picture work, even though the phrase "principal photography" or even just "photography" as a noun has been a regular part of the lexicon. Take film out of the process, and it becomes a linguistic muddle. "Sensoring" just doesn't have the right ring. "Rolling" is archaic. "Turning over" is even more archaic. "Filming" -- well, we've talked about that. "Recording" only really works for videotape, and that is scarcer than film these days. The only thing all the photographing devices have in common are lenses. So it turns out "lensing" has some appeal.

Pedantry has its price.  :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 10:11:10 pm by D Fuller »
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up