Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to crop DNG files?  (Read 2989 times)

dreed

How to crop DNG files?
« on: October 07, 2015, 08:00:07 am »

With the latest Bridge and Lightroom, it is possible to create panoramas from camera raw files that come out as DNG files. Due to both the amalgamation of data and the change in file format, the size the resultant DNG files can be quite large - complete with lots of areas that are useless.

The "Autocrop" in Bridge & LR decreases the size of the JPEG previews in the DNG but does not appear to change the raw data at all.

How do I crop and save a DNG file to be smaller (i.e what's visible) than the original DNG "raw" file?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: How to crop DNG files?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 08:49:33 am »

I don't understand why this is a problem.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 11:51:24 pm »

How do I crop and save a DNG file to be smaller (i.e what's visible) than the original DNG "raw" file?

You don't...crops in ACR/LR are not applied until you render. Up till then the entire file is there because the crop is only a non-destructive edit.

dreed

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 07:07:32 am »

You don't...crops in ACR/LR are not applied until you render. Up till then the entire file is there because the crop is only a non-destructive edit.

Ok. Will PS (or any other tools) do a destructive crop on a DNG file?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 07:26:04 am »

You could try exporting the DNG from Lightroom as a Lossy DNG with whatever dimensions you want. Then reimport it and discard the full size DNG. I wouldn't do it (I'd just get more hard drive space) but it might be editable enough for whatever you want to do.

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 12:40:39 pm »

Ok. Will PS (or any other tools) do a destructive crop on a DNG file?

When you open the image in PS from ACR, it is no longer a DNG file. As long as you don't open it as a smart object, you can make a destructive crop in PS. Just make sure the crop tool is set to "Delete cropped pixels." (The original DNG file will remain uncropped, because it is a raw file.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up