Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 5 Printing Problem on Epson 3800  (Read 1400 times)

BradSmith

LR 5 Printing Problem on Epson 3800
« on: October 06, 2015, 04:15:37 pm »

I've successfully used LR on my Mac for years.  But I'm now getting a strange printing problem every so often.  Only a portion of the width of the image will print.

Today Settings:  Custom paper size 17"x22". Portrait Orientation.  Image 7.7" x 19".  Cell size 7.8" x 19".  Grid 1 x 1.   Margin on one side of the length increased to 8.7" to print image on right half of the sheet.    In the preview window, image size in the upper left hand corner shows 7.7"x19", and the image is placed exactly where I intended. 

Now to the Print: Upper left corner of image is right where it should be, , and the image is 19" long, but only the left 2.75" portion of the image printed.   It is as if I had cropped the image to be 19" x 2.75".

Similar problem 2 or 3 times in the past month (out of maybe 15 prints). 

Any ideas?
thanks
Brad 

pflower

Re: LR 5 Printing Problem on Epson 3800
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 05:33:20 am »

Can't really help, but one thought - on some of the older Mac OS I was getting partial prints when using custom paper sizes.  Turned out to be a Mac problem.  If there is a mismatch between the units used to create the custom paper size and the system units then for some reason the OS gets confused.  So if you create a custom paper size in inches but your system is set to centimetres (or vice versa) problems arose.  In my case it turned out that I had some strange desktop publishing system installed which somehow changed the system from inches to centimetres.  It may be that this is a complete red herring and the problem has in any case been resolved - but it might be worth checking that everything is set up in the same unit of measurement.

BradSmith

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 02:12:59 pm »

Good info, but I'm afraid that's not the problem.  I'm totally inch based. 
As I said it is intermittent.  I tried printing it again.  Exactly the same settings.  AOK.    Printed another image.  AOK.   
Very strange.
Brad

mbaginy

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 02:53:22 pm »

Brad, take a look at my post from a while back:

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=100216.0

I encountered a similar problem.  Did you use the "print" button (and not the "printer" button)?  Since I use "printer", I haven't had partial prints anymore.

BradSmith

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 07:22:17 pm »

Hi Mike,
I haven't digested the linked thread yet, but I always DO print by pressing the "Print" Button at the lower right of the screen rather than "Printer" and then Print from within it.

My printing workflow in LR is always as follows and usually it is AOK.
On the left hand side of the Print Screen
1.  Do Page Setup, often selecting a custom paper size I've previously established.
2.  Above that, choose my User Template that I've developed for that paper size.
3.  In Print Settings, choose my Paper Pre-Set

Move to right side of the Print Screen
4.  In the tall vertical section, make any settings I want/need such as Image Settings, Layout (including margins and cell size and #, resolution, profile, media type, etc
5.  Hit the large "Print" button at the bottom.  I DON'T click on "Printer" because it appears to have all of the same info that I set under item 3 above. It seems strange that to avoid this intermittent problem that I'd have to visit the "Printer" settings twice.

But I'll read the thread.
Brad

mbaginy

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 01:02:38 am »

5.  Hit the large "Print" button at the bottom.  I DON'T click on "Printer" because it appears to have all of the same info that I set under item 3 above. It seems strange that to avoid this intermittent problem that I'd have to visit the "Printer" settings twice.
Brad, that's exactly what I once did - and ran into the Problems that every now and then, LR would only print part of the Image.  Then pressed "Printer" and LR printed properly.  While I do run through the Printer Dialog twice, it averts the improper printing.

I still can't figure out why LR prints some Images in that manner.  But my work-around works (for me).  I'm trying to ignore the left "Print" button (on the right-hand side of the screen) completely, so I don't again waste paper and ink.  Maybe this method will work for you too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up