Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CC2015 - takes a while to save TIFF images  (Read 989 times)

rxchaos

Photoshop CC2015 - takes a while to save TIFF images
« on: October 06, 2015, 11:35:18 am »

I use Photoshop CC2015 on a MacPro (6core, 64Gb memory) with an internal SSD.  The TIFF images usually end up around 2-4GB in size.  It takes a while to save the images.  The progress bar reaches 95-97% very quickly and then the last 3-5% takes a while.  Anyone experienced this problem?
The Mac currently runs OS10.11, I had this same issue with earlier releases as well.

-c

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
Re: Photoshop CC2015 - takes a while to save TIFF images
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 04:12:47 pm »

I have the same setup. What is your Photoshop scratch disk set to and are you using any external drives? I'm not working with 2-4GB images but have not experienced any delay in saving smaller files.
Gerald J Skrocki

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 05:14:20 pm »

I've seen this with tif files but in my case they are layered tiffs to get by the 2gb psd size limit. single layer tiffs don't seem to show the slow down at about 97%

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 09:02:16 pm »

The TIFF images usually end up around 2-4GB in size.  It takes a while to save the images.  The progress bar reaches 95-97% very quickly and then the last 3-5% takes a while.  Anyone experienced this problem?

Please define "quite a while".

You might want to make sure you're not specifying PS/TIFF save to compress anything.
~ CB

rxchaos

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 10:01:36 pm »

I have the same setup. What is your Photoshop scratch disk set to and are you using any external drives? I'm not working with 2-4GB images but have not experienced any delay in saving smaller files.

The scratch disk is the same as the startup disk and the same disk the Photoshop application is on.  I've tried to set another partition on the same physical disk as the scratch disk and it made no difference.  There's no problem in saving smaller size images

rxchaos

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 10:03:49 pm »

I've seen this with tif files but in my case they are layered tiffs to get by the 2gb psd size limit. single layer tiffs don't seem to show the slow down at about 97%

The files are layered tiff files, and like in your case there's practically no delay in saving single layer tiffs

rxchaos

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 10:07:22 pm »

Please define "quite a while".

You might want to make sure you're not specifying PS/TIFF save to compress anything.

Typically my 2-4GB TIFF file has about 4-6 layers.  I don't compress. 95-97% of the save operation is done in about 20seconds, and the rest of it takes a couple of minutes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up